Can I see references?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5394 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Will I be allowed to have a copy of or see references that people send out to employers? I was told that the only time I can see them is when I have been given the job.

Also if you put someone down for a reference is a 3rd party allowed to make a comment on it who hasn't been put down to make a reference?

Edited by finaldj

Job references are not subject to Data Protection in the normal sense & as such you have no rights as a data subject (i.e. the right to see a copy)

Whether you could see them if you started work? Technically I suppose so because as an employee you have the right to see the file your employer holds on you & as such they would form part of the contents of that file.

As for the 3rd party issue; not really sure I understand this point. Every employer will have a normal practice for references that are sought - some centralise this function through HR; others will allow individual managers to write references. I suppose the issue revolves around who has the reference been sought from - the individual or the employer. If its the employer then technically a 3rd party could make the reference.

"Evancosmo" is short for the evanescent cosmopolite.

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE :rolleyes:

1st Credit: CCA request sent

Cabot: failed to provide CCA - s.10 DPA letter sent

Capquest#1: failed to provide CCA - s.10 DPA letter sent

Capquest#2: failed to provide CCA - s.10 DPA letter sent

Abbey: on going

Equifax: "attributable data" CCJ removed - Aug 09

Hi,

I believe you can ask whoever gave the reference for a copy of it, and no, I don't think a 3rd party can make any comment.

I'll ask another Mod who is more knowledgeable than me on employment issues, to have a look.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

thank you both for your replies.

It seems I can ask for a copy of the reference's and if they refuse at least I can ask why they wont.

One thing I never thought of asking is that I can ask any potential employee for a brief summery of a reference without breaking any confidentiality even though I know who the senders are.

@ Evancosmo

What I was saying is that 2 persons were named as a referee and further to this they have usually asked for a copy of any sickness records e.g 12/18 months and this has to go through HR who have the records for this.

The person from HR who works in our department (school) who wasn't named as a referee decided to make her own comment as well (off her own back)

This small comment she made was a deciding factor between me and another person for a job and they told me because of the comment she made I didn't get the job.

So I was asking can someone make any comments e.g. 3rd party who are not mentioned as a referee?

Thanks

I was wondering.

Do you have a friend that owns a company?

Could you not ask them to write to your old employer for a refernce?

Depending on the content of any reference received, you may be in a position to take legal action.

I don't know how a court would view this as it does seem rather sneaky.