Motability questions - conflicting advice!!

cosmiccat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK then why not form a CAG disabled drivers club:) - Just think of the hidden benefits with CAG stickers plastered all over the motor when you visit a garage or shop let's 'em know we ain't to be trifled with or conned:lol:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We Seem to be getting away from the main topic of this thread slightly,and I'm not sure if anyone gave a definite answer.

I have a question of my own that I think would be of interest to a lot of people reading this thread.

My partners son works away from home during the week. My partner gets RSA to put his name on the insurance in place of her daughters (I am the main driver) at the weekend. Her son is an L driver and treats the car as his own at the weekend. He usually gets one of his mates to sit beside him (or so he tells us). Am I right in thinking he's not covered because his mate is not named on the insurance?

Do they know he's a learner & if so is he learning to drive in order to benefit the DLA recipient - Unless that can be established I think the car may be being used in contravention of the scheme - also if stopped & he does not have a qualified driver with him then there's every possibility that the benefit could be withdrawn

The qualified supervisor does not need to be named on the insurance

The qualified supervisor does not need to be named on the insurance

Ahh, that was the bit I wanted to know. As for your question, you may have guessed the answer to that from my post:) unless you could consider golf as a benefit :p Unfortunatly I'm not in a position to tell him what to do, so I just hope he has a good excuse if stopped and questioned about it.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

after reading this, as a test I rang RSA yesterday and asked if my wife could go on mine as the second driver, their answer is "NO" as she is a learner driver, she must hold a full licence, and must have had it for at least 1 year, and no convictions

the only way learner drivers can go on the policy is if the actual person with the reward of DLA is the learner, BUT is going through an approved scheme from Motabilty, and only in rare cases is that allowed,

and of course the usual conditions apply to the second driver, using the car on behalf of the person who has the reward, the second driver is NOT ALLOWED to use the car for their own personal use at anytime

You have misunderstood their advice - The driver IS allowed to use it for personal use PROVIDED that personal use benefits the recipient in some way such as travelling to work if the wages of that work contribute to the well-being of the recipient or it's more convenient for the recipient

Wow!!! Thanks so much to everyone who has posted - some good advice.

Mum and I are looking at the contract hire scheme, and my understanding now is this, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong (politely!!!!).

a. If I get rid of my car, which is currently used to get me to my part time job and ferrying mum around, taking her shopping etc., then I would be OK to use the car to travel to work, or would it be too tenuous an argument that if I relied on public transport (which would get me to work in a very rural area), that if there was a problem with mum and I needed to get back quickly that a car was the only viable option. Would this be classed as a benefit?

b. The main use of the car would be taking mum shopping, doctors, hospital appts, days out etc.

c. To allow for any personal use (whether going to work or not is personal we'll argue later!) I need to pay for my road tax, rather than getting the free tax. (More than happy to do this!).

It does seem silly to keep my old car on the road just to go to work three times a week, when mum is with my son and I for the majority of the time when we go out.

Have I got this more or less straight? I feel I am getting bogged down with the law, and my fear of stepping over the line!! If I am overcomplicating the issue, please tell me to stop now!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Wow!!! Thanks so much to everyone who has posted - some good advice.

Mum and I are looking at the contract hire scheme, and my understanding now is this, and please feel free to correct me if I am wrong (politely!!!!).

a. If I get rid of my car, which is currently used to get me to my part time job and ferrying mum around, taking her shopping etc., then I would be OK to use the car to travel to work, or would it be too tenuous an argument that if I relied on public transport (which would get me to work in a very rural area), that if there was a problem with mum and I needed to get back quickly that a car was the only viable option. Would this be classed as a benefit?

b. The main use of the car would be taking mum shopping, doctors, hospital appts, days out etc.

c. To allow for any personal use (whether going to work or not is personal we'll argue later!) I need to pay for my road tax, rather than getting the free tax. (More than happy to do this!).

It does seem silly to keep my old car on the road just to go to work three times a week, when mum is with my son and I for the majority of the time when we go out.

Have I got this more or less straight? I feel I am getting bogged down with the law, and my fear of stepping over the line!! If I am overcomplicating the issue, please tell me to stop now!!!

Thanks again everyone!

All your points above are correct with the exception of Point C, the motabilty car comes fully taxed, it is also renewed and sent to you direct each year.

The only hard part now is choosing the car !

Hope this helps and keep shouting if theres anything else you need to know.

The retailers worst nightmare !

You ARE over-complicating things, but it just shows you for being an honest person, so not to worry.

As BBM said, you don't have to tax or insure the car, it will be done by Motability. Once you're on the scheme, all you have to worry is the fuel, literally, it also comes with Mota RAC cover, which is fab. My previous car came with both AA (Fiat cover) and RAC (Mota cover), and when some mindless moron slashed my 4 tyres leaving me stranded in deepest Surrey, where the AA was giving me 3 hrs to arrive, RAC put me on top of the list and were there within 20 mns. And I didn't have to pay for the tyres to get changed the next day either. :-D

When you start looking at cars (I gave you the link to their website, have a look), you need to think as to what is going to be important: Can you afford to put an advance payment down or not? How much mileage are you likely to cover? What's more important, comfort for long distance, or small size for parking, small engine for fuel economy or bigger one for power on motorways? etc, etc...

Thanks for that guys - as to keep shouting, well, there's one thing I am still not clear on.... lol!

If the tax that motability provide is for disabled use, is that not where we come unstuck? I understood I could tax it myself, to allow for some personal use, whereas the tax for disabled cars would only be valid if the journey was for the benefit of my mother - obviously, me going to work doesn't benefit her at all... apart from the fact we might kill each other if we had to be together all the time!!

I have made a (rather long!) shortlist of cars, and am going to start visiting dealerships within next few days. I've always had big cars, but with the rocketing price of fuel am looking for something smaller now.

Thanks again for all the good advice. x

The tax provided by Mota is for a car leased by them to the disabled person. It's the car which is taxed, not the person and if it's supplied by them, don't let it worry you what they are/are not paying. Stop worrying. Once the car is registered to your mum, that's it.

Think of all of us who have disabled children who qualify for the motability car. The parents are not expected to only use the car to take the kid to school and swimming, and it's exactly the same thing for you and your mum.

All things considered, is it really that big an issue anyway, if the car were to be used for personal use occasionally as long as the disabled person is not being deprived of it.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Thanks for that guys - as to keep shouting, well, there's one thing I am still not clear on.... lol!

If the tax that motability provide is for disabled use, is that not where we come unstuck? I understood I could tax it myself, to allow for some personal use, whereas the tax for disabled cars would only be valid if the journey was for the benefit of my mother - obviously, me going to work doesn't benefit her at all... apart from the fact we might kill each other if we had to be together all the time!!

I have made a (rather long!) shortlist of cars, and am going to start visiting dealerships within next few days. I've always had big cars, but with the rocketing price of fuel am looking for something smaller now.

The only difference is that if your unaccompanied by the recipient, your mum, then you must not park in designated disabled bays - unless it's for the purpose of depositing or collecting your mum

Dont keep us in suspense, when youve got a short list of cars let us know and we can all help you decide, dont forget to ask for the full tank of fuel with your new motabilty car !

Go for the Honda Civic. A great car to drive............

.As long as you don't need to reverse.:D:D:D

Paid in full in March 07

C4 7 seat Citroen Grand Picasso + VTR GSE HDi 1.6 Great car & economical too:D Advance payment approx 1K.........or Fiat Panda 100hp great car to drive & goes like the proverbial of a shovel :eek: Advance payment NIL......or Volvo V70 Est Advance payment £998

My choice the Citroen & to prove it I'm taking delivery on Thursday:-)

Edited by JonCris

Have managed to bargain a local Ford dealer up on a Focus - Zetec to Titanium with no AP, and Sports Pack thrown in free if we pay for bluetooth (at £150 that seems like a bargain to me!). Oh, and yes, they fill the tank when we collect it...

Back to questions now though - if I'm using the car to go somewhere on a more personal basis (taking my son somewhere for instance) and mum does not want to come (she quite often comes with us just for the ride, but doesn't always feel like it) but I get into an accident, does the fact that it's disabled tax not invalidate the insurance?

Thanks guys!

:D

From the C4 Grand Picasso to the Fiat Panda... AKA from the sublime to the ridiculous, lol.

My previous one was a Fiat Doblo 1.4, great if you have problems getting and out of cars, as quite high up and with a wide opening and a handle thingy by the roof bit, loads of leg and bum space. Looks like a box on wheels which got flattened at the front, granted, but depends whether you go for the look or the rest. I loved my Doblo, especially the rear doors which slide instead of normal opening. Didn't like the way the back sets folded 7 seater version), hardly gave more room to carry big loads in fact on holiday we just removed it altogether, so not practical from that point of view, but not an issue if you're going for a 5 seater as then you'll have loads of boot room.

The Picasso by contrast is so versatile, everything folds flast, folds away, superb car all round, only thing is I find it more of a struggle to get in and out of it.

comis ARRRRRRRG! It's ok provided you don't park in disabled bays or go where only the disabled driver does Think of it this way there is no law which requires to have more than 1 vehicle so if your the carer & named driver there's no problem

if you want it confirmed contact motability

Have managed to bargain a local Ford dealer up on a Focus - Zetec to Titanium with no AP, and Sports Pack thrown in free if we pay for bluetooth (at £150 that seems like a bargain to me!). Oh, and yes, they fill the tank when we collect it...

Back to questions now though - if I'm using the car to go somewhere on a more personal basis (taking my son somewhere for instance) and mum does not want to come (she quite often comes with us just for the ride, but doesn't always feel like it) but I get into an accident, does the fact that it's disabled tax not invalidate the insurance?

Thanks guys!

:D

Thats great to hear, you got yourself a right bargain there, good choice too, ive been a ford driver all my life with no problems.

With regard to driving with your son and not your mum, the other poster is spot on with his comments.

Happy Motoring ! Any probs just come back and ask.

OK, OK, sorry!!!! I am a very honest person, and I don't like the idea of getting either my mother or myself into trouble!!! This is all very new to me, and I suppose seems too easy almost, so I suppose I'm looking for the catch!!

With regards to contacting Motability, I have done twice. The first guy I spoke to said it "seemed to be ok and within the scheme rules, but he couldn't state definitely. He then went on to say that as the Motability car was all paid for within mothers DLA that I should keep my car on the road and only use hers for her use.... which even he agreed did seem faintly ridiculous! The girl I spoke to on the second occasion said they did understand that a family car would be used as such on occasions and had relaxed their rules somewhat. I pointed out that we weren't a typical family and that mum does not live with me, and she ummed and arred a bit and then said it would probably still be OK!!!!

So. basically the info they offered was as clear as mud!

Sorry for being such a worrier, and driving you all mad, but your advice has been good thank you!! Not sure I shall ever quite relax driving the car, but hopefully will come good!

As another thought, does the 'fair wear and tear' allowed vary from garage to garage or is it fairly standard across the scheme? I'm working on the assumption that things like stone chips will be OK, but a crunched wing won't... would that be about right?

Thanks again guys! You are SO patient!

x