• Tweets

• There is a letter offering  HM Court and Tribunals Mediation by telephone Does anyone use this? Its free
    • Morning guys As Bank suggested, I've now re-worked my POC to include details of my parcel's original loss,  miraculous rediscovery a month later and subsequent delivery, albeit having been opened and the contents removed. Grateful for your thoughts please, as (P2G having gone very quiet) I intend to initiate court proceedings against P2G tomorrow - 1 May. Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing 8 second-hand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and whilst Evri collected the parcel for delivery on 18 March 24 they then ‘misplaced’ it a day later, formally declaring it lost on 27 March. On 16 April they found it and delivered it on 17 April but, at some point before delivery, it had been opened and the contents removed . The defendant refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is also in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80  
    • Odd one this, I recieved 2 notice's for the 18th and 19th April stating that I overstayed on Wigan Robin Retail Park. Permitted Minutes 180. They state I was there 355 minutes on the 18th and 388 minutes on the 19th. Both times I was there around 10 minutes getting my wife a brew from costa after dropping the kids off at school.  On both days I had passed through there a second time around 3pm, again to get a brew then left. Both notices have 2 images each, Entrance and exit.  This is the interesting bit. The Entrance images both timestamped actually clearly show I am exiting the retail park not entering it. And the exiting images they provided show me leaving the carpark after visiting a second time later in the day. In the attachments You'll see all 4 images show that I am exiting, none of them are of me entering. I understand most if not all that see this post won't know the area but if the look at the map link i gave you'll see the road I was on leading up to the main road. g24 ltd 1.pdfg24 ltd 1.pdf GoogleMap view of the road I am on in the entrance images I would have had dashcam footage but I since formatted the memory card. I tried recovery tools but I couldn't get the files back.  
    • An update: I just got another PCN. I get the feeling that someone in the residence is calling OPS, as it's dated for a few mins after I parked. I won't appeal of course. Interestingly, our cleaner was also parked but didn't get a PCN. I asked them why and apparently they're whitelisted. I did ask the MA if they could whitelist me and they said they couldn't. Clearly they decided not to tell the truth. Surely, this would resolve all of the issues entirely i.e. we'd keep non-residents from parking, whilst allowing for residents to park without issue? Also, could OPS now take me to court for both PCNs separately, or could it be one case?    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Link ex-MBNA - arrogant and threatening

arthur256
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to be in a financial job, and used to know the 1974 Act well.

About 5-6 years ago I was operating a credit card linked loan account in a satisfactory manner with MBNA.

I was then redundant and later had serious health problems including two major operations, stroke, and spent 6 months in hospitals and am now disabled. My wife took over handling all finances, as she is OK and I was not to be worried because hypertension had caused all my health problems.

She initially agreed with MBNA that they would suspend interest and allow reduced monthly payments, which was reviewed from time to time, as we had expected that I might work again. (I am however still certified by GP to refrain from work, though I am doing some voluntary work to keep occupied).

All was well until MBNA miscalculated a date, and accused me of making one payment late - though it was demonstrably paid via bank and cleared exactly on the deadline. They then suddenly said they had assigned it to "Link Financial-Lin" because of default on the arrangement. I have never had a valid Notice of Assignment, just a photocopied unsigned letter. Link promptly contacted me, and I could see MBNA had got their name wrong, and became suspicious, so requested the CC agreement. This was over a year ago and it still has not been supplied.

I began reporting the matter to the Ombudsman, but have not pursued that any further in view of the non-compliance over the CC agreement. I said that my main complaint against MBNA was that they had purported to assign a debit because of default - yet there had been NO DEFAULT. I also mentioned that non-compliance over the CC agreement meant it was unenforceable, and would be reported to TS - which I have not yet got round to. We also told Link it was with the FOS (Ombudsman). I send the FOS a copy of Link's threat to get a charging order even though it was not validly assigned AND unenforceable. I told FOS that Link were harassing us.

I heard no more from anybody for several months, then in the past month Link started their "usual" pattern of threatening 'phone calls. I have told them only to deal with my wife on my behalf, and only in writing, yet Link keep phoning. I expect she will be phoned this evening.

I would still be paying MBNA as agreed by my wife, or with family help I might have paid the 30% a year ago, if their mistake over the date had not thrown up the fact that they can't find the CCA!

I have read a lot on this forum, was impressed, and I thank folks in anticipation of any help.

Hi!

Firstly, may I say how sorry I am to hear of your problems with MBNA/Link Financial. MBNA do refer to them as; Link Financial-Lin(?)

MBNA, should not be assigning accounts that are in Dispute, but they do this all the time.

Link Financial are a particularly nasty firm to deal with, therefore you must keep everything to the written word; keep copies.

Please make a further CCA Request, this time to Link Financial;

remind them about the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection and;

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading regulations 2008 (CPUTR's).

AC

Hi!

Firstly, may I say how sorry I am to hear of your problems with MBNA/Link Financial. MBNA do refer to them as; Link Financial-Lin(?)

MBNA, should not be assigning accounts that are in Dispute, but they do this all the time.

Link Financial are a particularly nasty firm to deal with, therefore you must keep everything to the written word; keep copies.

Please make a further CCA Request, this time to Link Financial;

remind them about the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection and;

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading regulations 2008 (CPUTR's).

AC

Thanks.

I last wrote to Link over a year ago, saying that I did not acknowledge any debt to them, not to telephone, and as they do not have valid cause or authority to hold data relating to dealings with MBNA, to delete all personal data about me, in accordance with DPA 1998.

I also referred them to the Complaints Manager at MBNA, as I had then just made the assignment complaint - asking MBNA to restore the matter to how it was immediately before the "date error".

As this said it was my final communication (and I have not written further) is it appropriate to send them a CCA request? Might that imply that I accept the erroneous and invalid MBNA assignment?

My original intention was to let them try the Courts, which I would obviously strenuously defend. My wife thinks we should continue to adopt that attitude.

I quite understand your reasoning, however, if Link Financial claim to be the assignee, then they must provide to you documentary evidence that, they are legally entitled to pursue the account.

It is unlikely that Link will cease from harassing you until, you make a CCA request to them.

Without doubt, it is easier to defend a claim as opposed to making one. However, the Creditor would need a valid agreement if they are to issue.

At this stage, you do not know who the Creditor is;

MBNA;

Link Financial or;

Both (co-creditors).

AC

Thanks. Taking your four points in order:

1. Agreed.

2. This may be so, but all Link are doing is making phone calls which result in being told to communicate in writing, and we can easily put the phone down. They know I will ignore anything they do - unless/until they can show me or a Court that they have some status in the matter.

3. Agreed, and as they still can't produce valid papers, we are willing to sit it out.

4. Whichever is true, we feel that if neither is able to do anything, we can just wait and see. (MBNA have shown no interest in it for over a year. We should in any case soon get round to reporting the CCA non-compliance).

Very good, sounds as though you are in control of the situation!

Two other points:

were there any unlawful penalty charges levied on the account?

Did you take out the MBNA Payment Protection Insurance?

AC

were there any unlawful penalty charges levied on the account?

Did you take out the MBNA Payment Protection Insurance?

1. Nothing significant as far as I recall - I would have to get my wife to dig out the earlier part of the file. If they come up with the CCA then we would pursue any charges that were unlawful; until then it is a bit academic, isn't it?

2. No.

1. Nothing significant as far as I recall - I would have to get my wife to dig out the earlier part of the file. If they come up with the CCA then we would pursue any charges that were unlawful; until then it is a bit academic, isn't it?

2. No.

Okay, well if there were any charges levied plus the contractual accrued interest on those charges, that would make the alleged outstanding balance claimed, incorrect.

All grits to the Mill.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

AC

Don't forget the harrassment letter you can send that to Link as well.

They tried it on with me and took me to court - it was struck out.

Only with the help of everyone on the forum was it possible. I wouldn't have stood a chance with the help on here.

Good Luck to you both and whatever happens we're all here to help and

don't go stressing yourself out.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

• 5 months later...

Sorry I haven't said anything for a while... We decided that as Link was trying to collect a wrongly-assigned card account, we would just leave them alone.

There was a vaguely associated separate account which MBNA themselves still had direct control of, and we decided in the summer to clear that as it was a very small sum, and we were nervous about it for reasons I won't mention here (MBNA may be reading this!).

Link tried one phone call in about August - I told them I was not going to respond other than if they communicate in writing. In about October they sent a "statement" which just repeated the wrongly-assigned balance, but was not particularly threatening. Nothing else.

--

Arthur

yes im a link fan 2

they are wasters

have reclaimed 1065 ppi and 900 charges and did i pay link NO!

not a proper cca and told them if u want ur cash take me to court

it was the letters that made my mind up to fight and cag the best site on the www! and ac is a saint x.

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update. I have heard nothing more from MBNA, and nothing from Link Financial until a "Letter before Action" came just this week. It is arrogant, as one expects: "We will obtain and enforce a CCJ...". A bold assumption! I shall of course see whether they do try, but in the meantime I will ask them for a copy agreement. The original agreement my wife made with MBNA was that if I kept up reduced payments for a year, they would accept a full and final settlement of about 30% of the debt. If they had kept to what was agreed with my wife, they would have had this by now! I could presumably try asking the Court (if they do apply) to void the contract in view of their behaviour?

• 4 weeks later...

Further to my post of 15/12/2010, I have not had any response to my Section 77-79 request for the Consumer Credit Agreement. The matter therefore remains unenforceable.

I am now considering applying to the Court to get the agreement struck out - is that a good idea? Or should I just wait and see what they do, and if they try to get a CCJ I can defend it and make them look stupid in Court?!

The above article only concerns MBNA's internal collections. They weren't as bad to deal with as Link, but still clearly daft (they claimed 31 January was after the end of January)! If they hadn't got that wrong, they would not have assigned it (or tried to) and would have had a 30% settlement which had been pre-agreed on my behalf.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Further to previous. Nobody has responded. My wife and I decided to take no action against Link, unless they attempt to enforce the alleged debt. As they apparently can't comply with my S75 request, and have never provided evidence of a valid assignment, we think it unlikely they will attempt this.

• 6 months later...

Just an "occasional update" (!) as not much happens.... Last year they sent a "statement" from Link Financial Outsourcing Ltd (LFOL). It states that the alleged assignee is Link Financial Ltd (LFL), so LFOL is not claiming any status except that they are presumably acting as an agent for the sister company. At the time I posted on the other thread "Link Financial (MBNA) getting stroppy!", the assignment was invalid, and they ignored a CCA request, so I planned to ignore the new company unless and until they prove a valid claim, and then I will challenge it in Court.

Since then however I have been mildly inconvenienced by my CRA records, where this is one of only two slightly embarrassing entries. (The other one is easily rectified, and is in hand). I have also just had a further "statement" from (LFOL). As CAG states elsewhere that DCAs "may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency" and "may not pass to a third party" an alleged debt which is in breach of S78(6), I decided to have one more go at LFOL and have yesterday sent a letter first class recorded reminding them of the default by MBNA and LFL and consequent unenforceable status. I will then ask for removal of the CRA entry.

Will report further in due course.

Edited by arthur256