• Tweets

• Yes. I'd be very interested to know how the defendant fared in putting forward the defence that the calaimant had been contributorily negligent by not keeping their cat under control. I'm aware that some people might find that fatuous, distracting or confusing, but the reality is that I'm not aware of any law that imposes a duty upon cat owners to keep their pets under control.  Whereas I believe the law does hold dog owners responsible for their dogs in public places. I'm not certain it was at all beneficial to the OP to suggest that blaming the claimant was a credible defence...
    • Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Very strange behaviour from MBNA

Coactum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a myth re caggers giving in, the more I read the more I see it as 'us against them' and as always it's you win some you lose some but rest assured if it was not for this website the DCA and even the original creditors would be having a field day with those less informed myself included in the latter.

DCA's have a job to do, alas most of them seem to do it rather badly and usually at the expense of the debtor...this website seeks to redress the balance and to give the woman/man in the street a voice where once they were silenced....

I don't see it as 'giving in' but more that some people usually through no fault of their own tend to become disheartened, debt by it'#s very nature is disheartening...it's par for the course ...

Money most certainly is the route of all evils, since I have none any more I have lived a much more enriched life, no longer am I wasteful, no longer do material items have the worth they once had with me, I no longer crave or covet them....life is good, yes I'm in debt and of course I'd like to be out of it ..but that's not going to happen any time soon...so, I'll carry on regardless.

Hi guys

please keep us posted.

I have noticed that lot of caggers seem giving in. please dont and we all need to fight the injustice and stick together and need to encourage those who are feeling low.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Activity on here does seem to be less but I stumbled into this website by accident, no one recommended it to me or pointed me towards it. But then by the nature of the problems we all have they are very personal and not a subject you tend to discuss with all and sundry.

CAG will get donations from me at the end of all this and I hope others remember that this site needs support but it would be helpful to others if CAG had some sort of link with the Citizens Advice Bureau for example, but doubt this would be possible.

I agree with deb-t that without this site many of us would be lost. I contributed what little I could afford a few months back and will do so again as and when matter improve. Sadly most users of this resource are all flat broke and so as exchange says it is worth maning a contribution no matter how little to keep the site going.

Jings, crivens, help ma boab! Exchange, I just looked at your footnote. There was me thinking I had a fair load of debt to contend with and then I saw your list. Mine is almost a tiddler in comparison!

I started off with circa £90k debt in 2006...it's easily done, especially when you have a high paying job.

I just wish I'd discovered CAG then although, at that time, the emphasis seemed to be more on reclaiming bank charges rather than challenging credit card agreements as I recall.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Hi Coactum, as Welshman2009 says, it is easy to build up debt when you are earning well (ironically) as everyone was throwing credit at me and I could not have forseen the events of the last year which have transformed my situation. At least it can only get better, I hope. I can also say I have learned my lesson and now avoid any form of credit like the plague.

as everyone was throwing credit at me

So true Exchange...I finally faced up to my problems when I got to £90k (was honestly too afraid to add it up before!! :oops: ) HOWEVER, the total credit limit on my cards amounted to circa £160k....so in theory, I could have kept on going!

I would never have sat down and applied for a loan of £160k and a lot of this available credit accrued due to limits automatically being increased by the lenders as opposed to being requested.

I accept that I was wholly irresponsible but equally, when I've applied for a credit limit of say £5k, I believe it should stay fixed and not be increased to almost £20k over several years, without being requested.

• Haha 2

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

I was in the same situation and i was effectively borrowing from one card to service another,originally i had a few on low fixed apr's but a missed payment by a few days ended one of those deals.

Eventually I had about 9 cards and like I said borrowed from one to pay another but 3 of those cards were with mbna and hfc who hiked interest rates to 34%.

One day i totalled up what was owed and had the shock of my life,60K+ ,just realised it wasn't getting me anywhere and with ill health I lost a p/t job so something had to give.

Tried to negotiate payment plans but a few weren't interested so I decided to take them on instead,they just used me as a cash cow for years and years ,lending unrealistically and at excessive rates and in my time of need turned their backs on me and hung me out to dry.

Now I'm defaulted.credit rating busted and living in rented accommodation,lord knows how I'm going to fare getting references for a new place.

But I wake every day,my partner and I have a baby on the way,they can't hang me and if they want their day in court I'll gladly give them one.

I owe so much to this site and the people on it ,gotta stick together .

Looks like our loverly friends at MBNA are going to the wall with many redundancies.

Bank of America buys MBNA in $35bn deal - Business News, Business - The Independent

Maybe a good time to get some EX-MBNA employees on board to spill the beans

Oh and no doubt quite a few more agreements will be lost in the transition ;)

PF

Edited by pompeyfaith

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

hi

I tend to stay in the Legal Forum as thats what I found when I Googled for advice re County Court Claim (first one ever!) in January this year.

I must say that this site is fantastic and the people who have helped me over the past months, asking absolutely nothing in return and often making me laugh in the process, have been tremendous.

Like most of the other contributors to this thread, I used to earn lots and spend a little more (oops it shouldn't be that way round should it??) but never missed a single payment until I was made redundant. When I finally got another job it was on a significantly lower salary and things deteriorated steadily until the end of last year when I realised that I simply couldn't afford to live and pay my monthly repayments.

I don't think that some people realise that it's quite difficult to default on payments when you've spent years making sure that everyone was paid on time and in full. however, once I stopped and added up how much I owed and how much the monthly repayments were, I was both horrified and, in a perverse way, relieved that I was finally going to sort it out.

Little did I realise just how much of a p***s take had been going on for years with PPI, interest rates escalating and bankers offering me loans to clear credit cards and reduce monthly payments only to offer me credit cards again in the same month (and each consolidation cost me hundreds or thousands in lost PPI premiums)

right now I've got one loan going through Court proceedings, one agreement is completely unenforceable, one is 'missing', one is on hold (I think pending the outcome of the court case as it's the same lender) one has just been defaulted by MBNA and an overdraft is made up completely of bank charges that I'm reclaiming!

ok I've got to live on my salary and got absolutely no access to credit at all but it feels fine. The site and the wonderful site team and other caggers have educated and assisted me and, whatever the final outcome of these cases, I'm really pleased about what I'm doing

crikey - almost Mills and Boon stuff there. just need some heaving busoms and throbbing loins and we'd have it all

=================================================================

remember

the Sun is always shining, it's just that you can't see it sometimes

That is nice to here Sunshine sometimes money is not the be all i for one am happier now than i have ever been, so long as i have enough to cover my regular bills that is all that matters.

I take comfort in my family and friends plus my border collie.

Now on a side note why do you think the PPI Premiums are lost ?

Regards

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

hi PF

well, I'm counterclaiming for two lots of PPI now and the agreement that is unenforceable has PPI but as they're not chasing me for the debt I haven't got around to asking for the PPI refund. There was PPI on at least 4 credit cards that I have cleared over the past 9 years (I am hoping that I can reclaim some of the more recent charges but need to SAR to get copy statements)

It's quite dreadful really. I paid PPI on two credit cards and a loan with the same lender and when I was made redundant in 2006 they said 'oh sorry dear, you can't claim if you don't receive unemployment benefit'. I was so naive that I just said 'that's unreasonable, I didn't realise that' and accepted it (give me a good shake someone!)

we live and learn - eventually

=================================================================

remember

the Sun is always shining, it's just that you can't see it sometimes

Hi Sunshine54,

I am in the same situation as you, my whole world turned upside down when I got 'done' of a business colleague.

I turned to the credit suppliers with whom I had PPI and got the same reply back. I am now learning what my next step should be but why should we pay up to £40 or more per month for no protection, it simply should not be allowed.

That said now we are 'caggers' it isn't..........

Exasp

I must express that I was not casting stones at Exchange in my earlier comment. I do understand how these debts rise. Being self employed my cards have often been used as an essential lifeline and like blueotter and so many others at one time I was using one to fund the other but had not run all to the limit when I woke up to the fact that I was merely aggravating the problem by continuing to use my cards in this way. Had I run all to the limit it was just over £100K added to that I had both business and personal overdraft facilities providing a total unsecured debt facility of just under £125K.

Like so many others I too found myself at this forum through the total frustration of trying to reach agreement with those creditors and whilst my debts at that time were circa £48K the moment I stopped paying and penalty charges and interest were applied this swiftly rose to around £70K but I’m continuing to contest these charges as you will no doubt have read in my other posts.

If I had accepted all the discount offers made I would have only paid about £30K, which would have been attractive if I had the money. Sadly though all of mine have now been defaulted.

On the old PPI bit I have continually argued with First Direct on this. They had a payment plan that they claimed covered the self employed. However it did not. All on another thread of mine so I’ll not reiterate here, suffice to say that if I had got the premiums back plus the accrued interest thereon my debt the them would be negated.

One last thing for now. I have heard that staff at MBNA receive two packages of excrement each week in the post. Now what I want to know is who is sending the other one?

HI All

an update

usual threatning letter from MBNA

called and spoke to the guy and HE offered arrangment plan of 70 quids a month for upto 10 years with no added charges and interest.

told him the account in dispute mentioned CCA and subject access request but to no avail he was much interested in income/expenditure stuff.

asked why PPI cancelled by MBNA as i needed it most now, hE SAID DUE TO MISPAYMENTS it has been suspended not cancelled . I said i want help by PPI he said ring them direct told him if it is suspended they would not help etc but no avail.

Rang PPI company they want letter from Tax office previous employer and i should sign on with job centre and claim Jobseekers allowance.

I just started as self employed cabbie ( money are less than 150 quid a week) .i never claim any benefits and nor going to in future, Job centre waste of time they never helped me finding a job i had to find it myself.

last week i was offered to pay 3k less than current outstanding amount BY mbna and i offered to set a plan on that aMount but MBNA would set plan on my current outstanding balance onlyl

They dont talk about CCA and SAR at all.

Please advise:wink:

Hussy

"One last thing for now. I have heard that staff at MBNA receive two packages of excrement each week in the post. Now what I want to know is who is sending the other one?"

*waves*:p

It's the postmen I feel sorry for:p As for MBNA, what goes around comes around; if you keep sending poop to debtors......

If I am not mistaken GamekeeperToPoacher was a former MBNA employee, so, Hussy786, perhaps GamekeeperToPoacher can confirm what I'm about to say.

Within MBNA there are many levels of collection team and the longer your account remains in dispute and payments are not being maintained the higher up the more experienced collector will be appointed to handle your case. Now these collectors are only interested in one thing; getting a result. By that I mean extracting money from you. Once they have done so they have justified their existence and probably earn a commission. A ten year repayment plan if maintained means you are off this collectors list and sent to another department. Likewise accepting the settlement offer gets you off the list.

Now strange though it may seem your continued failure to pay also bumps you off this collectors list because you get passed on to another department. That is of course unless you look like you are co-operating. Then they want to retain you because providing you look like you are going to pay they have the prospect of earning a bonus!

Hi Coactum,

I have not been employed by any credit card, mortgage company, bank or utilities company direct.

I was always a self-employed field agent and was the man at the front edge who knocked on the doors and requested payment/return of the credit card or advised on mortgage arrears or lastly tried to get you to sort out your utility bills before going to court obtaining warrants and severing connections.

It is a while since I was anything to do with CCs and loans so I am unsure of the current situation however, I still stand by the maxim that IF they could go to court and get a judgement then they should do so.

Basically I say to all my creditors Bring It ON and let the judge decide

GK

In short ...nothing...if they have not been able to produce an enforceable cca or even a cca by the sounds of it then worry not, strict proof of these would be required by a judge in the event that it was to go to court.

You should send them the letter from the templates letter re harrassment

The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

Just in case I missed anything, you have proof that you sent the CCA? and that the postal order you sent has been cashed?

Hi all

MBNA keeps emailing me or writing to me about the arrears and threats of collecting debits but they dont even mention or talk about cca request made to them 3 months ago.

what should i do?

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.