Amex CCA received - is it enforceable please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of hearsay evidence in civil courts is covered in s2 of the Civil Evidence Act 1995

2 Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence

(1) A party proposing to adduce hearsay evidence in civil proceedings shall, subject to the following provisions of this section, give to the other party or parties to the proceedings—

(a) such notice (if any) of that fact, and

(b) on request, such particulars of or relating to the evidence,

as is reasonable and practicable in the circumstances for the purpose of enabling him or them to deal with any matters arising from its being hearsay

The use of hearsay evidence in civil courts is covered in s2 of the Civil Evidence Act 1995

Perhaps these posts should be moved out of the OPs original thread? I didnt ask if the balance would mean it running in small claims/fast track and just assumed small track in my replies/comments.

I would counter that with CPR 27.8(3), Do they still have to declare it formally?

S.

Vint

No, no SARS or CPR yet but presumably as they have provided a signed document i would (probably) just get the same back. My position is I need to decide fairly quickly whether to pay or not and that would depend on how strong a probable case I have based on an incorrect date in the Default Notice and any defects in the CCA.

Sorry Cadwaller, Had to go out this afternoon.

You have some heavyweights in here now, so back to the sidelines for me. ( Not ment to be a sizeist remark Steven - Shadow - Pinky )

Follow their advice, you seem to have them on the DN.

Vint

One more question please.

Given an invalid DN but a probable enforceable CCA does this mean I need to pay the arrears amount on the DN and tell them I have paid all I lawfully need to?

Thanks

One more question please.

Given an invalid DN but a probable enforceable CCA does this mean I need to pay the arrears amount on the DN and tell them I have paid all I lawfully need to?

Thanks

NO!

The DN will only come into play when they terminate the account or do something that is in keeping with ending the contract i.e. demanding the full repayment of the balance, until then they can issue another correct DN and thus make you liable for the full amount.

So... you'll need to keep the fact about the DN quiet and just wait for the termination for it to have any bearing on events.

S.

• 3 weeks later...

Have now received a cancellation notice from Amex.

35na5jo.jpg

As it is demanding payment of all monies outstanding is this effectively a termination notice, even if it does not use the word termination?

Thanks

C

Sorry for delay in responding - been off line for a while.

So, I have a dodgy DN, an unlawful termination but an apparently enforceable CCA.

Is my next step to pay the arrears stated on the DN and then inform them I have paid what I am lawfully required to pay under the agreement?

Also, should I pay it direct to OC as I have now heard from AIC demanding full payment of the total balance plus Referral fee of £1400+?

Thanks

C

Sorry for delay in responding - been off line for a while.

So, I have a dodgy DN, an unlawful termination but an apparently enforceable CCA.

Is my next step to pay the arrears stated on the DN and then inform them I have paid what I am lawfully required to pay under the agreement?

Also, should I pay it direct to OC as I have now heard from AIC demanding full payment of the total balance plus Referral fee of £1400+?

Thanks

C

I'm afraid they will not agree to anything you suggest and will continue their normal process for recovery.

If/when a court claim gets delivered is the time to bring up the DN imho.

S.

S.

Yes, but if I accept that the CCA is enforceable should I not at least pay what I concede is due, i.e. the arrears amount?

C

I'm not sure if it'll have any affect, they will still not concede the point and if court proceedings are brought it will be for the full outstanding balance less the arrears.

I suppose you could put in the defense that you have paid all monies you believe are due thanks to the invalid DN served upon you.

S.

OK, I accept that they will still proceed on their usual course but if I pay what is lawfully due isn't this a stronger position than having to say in court that I knew I was liable to pay the arrears but didn't? I don't pretend to know the answer but seems better if I meet what I accept as my obligation?

C

• 4 weeks later...
You've just got to love the convoluted logic in this reply from Amex:D

hahaha "date of service is date we send it to you" err fraid not Amex :-D

"legally obliged to charge this" :-D by what law/statute is this...

These people live in cloud cuckoo land, why do they tie themselves up in so many knots.

S.

That's a cracker from Amex.

Alas, their statements are (as they like to put it), without substance or merit. Their DNs are invalid, despite their drivel. Their 'file referral fees' are contrary to the OFT Guidance, and they even quote the paragraph in the agreement that plainly does not comply. I'd say that their letter, which is clearly designed to mislead and to misrepresent fact, is contrary to CPUTR.

Every Amex case we see is another demonstration that Amex will not face the reality of their situation - they merely spout increasing amounts of boolsheet to attempt to mislead.

• 3 months later...

HAve now received threat letter from Westminsters. Any suggestions on how to reply - usual 'matter in dispute' or something a bit more positive?

Just to summarise, Amex default notice did not give correct time to remedy and they terminated on the back of it. I have already paid arrears stated on DN.

tanhna.jpg

Thanks

Cadwallader