• Tweets

• Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Foreman Showed List Of Redundancies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I Dont Know Where To Start On This But Here Goes. Our Company Announced They Were To Make 12 Redundancies Last Week. On Wednesday The Company Confirmed The 12 Jobs At Risk And Each Employee Would Be Taken To The Personnel Department By The Foreman, After Being Advised By Personnel Of Your Job At Risk, An Appointment Was Given For Next Week To Come Back, You Were Then Led Out Of The Building By The Foreman And Checked Out By Security. However, Unbelievably, When Leading The 1st Man Out Whos Job Was At Risk, As It Was His Mate, The Foreman Showed His Mate The List Of Jobs At Risk, With The 12 Names That He Was Taking To Personnel. When The 1st Man Got In To The Car Park, He Phoned Some Of The Men In The Factory Of The Names Of Individuals Whose Jobs Were At Risk. As You Could Imagine, Emotions Were Already Running High And War About Broke Out. Every Name He Gave Was On The List, When Finally Called In Some Individuals Who Knew They Were On The List Of Jobs At Risk Complained Bitterly To Personnel About This Information That Had Been Passed On. Personnel Do Not Know Who Got The Ball Rolling Ie Foremans Mate. Personnel Do Know It Was The Foreman Who Squeeled The List Of Names As He Was The Only Person Who Had It. Personnel Advised They Would Investigate This Matter. We Have Since Found Out They Have Questioned The Foreman Involved Who Now Denies All Involvement. The Point Being We Know He Is Lying. Some Of Us Want To Bring This Up Further When We Go Back In For 2nd Jobs At Risk Interview, However Some Dont As They Dont Want To Be Seen As Troublemakers And Fear When The Work Picks Up Again They Wont Get Asked Back. Tensions Are Very High And We Feel Something Should Be Done About This Foreman. Please, Please Can Somebody Give Us Any Advice On This Extremely Difficult Situation.

Edited by BIGJIM1965

I understand your anger at the foreman and what is at risk and what it means to you all.I suppose he also felt under pressure having to tell you this information and made a error of judgement which sounds like it possibly led to unpleasent scenes and raised emotions.As a outsider looking in by all means raise this matter at the at risk interview but i only see him getting a disciplinery at most.I wish you and your co workers all the best for the future.Keep posting any questions you may have.May i say i am no expert and only know what i have learnt on here and by looking around forums.All the best tawnyowl.

Hi Bigjim

Whilst the foreman disclosing the list of at risk employees was clearly bad practice, it doesn't fundamentally and of itself make the actual redundancy process itself unfair.

It will be a private matter between your employer and the foreman as regards if he will be disciplined for this. As you are only 'at risk' at the moment, your job may yet be safe, and i wish you the best of luck.

Please come back if you have any additional questions.

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

One of my colleagues, whose job is at risk, went in on monday for his second interview, whilst in he completed a grievance form. To be honest I do not know the exact wording taken but I heard it was "inappropriate, untimely action taken by foreman". Personnel advised him that this would be passed on to managing director and this matter will be fully investigated.

Update...I had my second interview with personnel this morning, personnel confirmed investigation under way.

All individuals who were advised that there jobs were at risk, have been in for their second interview this week. All were given the opportunity to discuss the assessments that the company had scored for each employee. After each assessment, each employee has now been advised that they are to be made redundant. The company advised each person at the interview of their own redundancy package. Personnel have advised that individuals do have the right to appeal on the above. Several of us, do not agree with the marking system used on assessments and wish to appeal against this. We know of several employees who have the same skills or less than us but who also have bad timekeeping and attendance. Why are they still in the building? So the question is this:

A. We wish to appeal. Presumably we must put a letter in to personnel confirming that we wish to appeal against I presume unsatisfactory selection of redundancy taken by company? Is this an adequate reason for appeal?

B. Is there a timescale to send your letter of appeal in?

C. Some of my colleagues wish to take this all the road, if all fails they are talking about industrial tribunal. I take it that is when we would have to see a lawyer, bearing in mind we are non union.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

BigJIM-Its getting to the stage i feel you need proffessional advice as theres so much at stake.There are links on the posts i sent.I have read your post carefully and will keep posting ideas but i feel this is your best option.Please keep posting with any news.Iam sending you a link that may or may not ease your pain and anguish you must be feeling.Carry on -be strong.Tawnyowl Calculate your redundancy payout : Directgov - Do it online

Hi BigJim going to send you a few things-may be at intervals but may help.But maybe time for the proffesional thing.

Know your rights

Employers are legally obliged to follow strict procedures when making redundancies. Here is the least you should expect:

• If there are between 20 and 99 people* being made redundant, you and/or your employee rep (ie, your union, if you have one) should be given at least 30 days' notice; if more than 100 jobs are to go, 90 days' notice.

• Employers should try to find you alternative work in the organisation.

• Your employer may choose who to let go on the basis of scores, usually calculated using disciplinary and attendance records, qualifications and appraisals. They may also apply "last in, first out", although this has become more difficult in the wake of age discrimination laws.

• You will not be entitled to redundancy pay if you have been with your employer for less than two years. You should, however, get notice pay, which, by law, must be at least one week for each year's service (one week if you have completed one full month but less than a year) up to a maximum of 12 weeks.

• If you have worked for two or more years you have the right to statutory redundancy pay and a written statement explaining the amount, and how it was calculated.

• The lump sum depends on your age, length of service (maximum 20 years), and your earnings (capped at £350 a week). If you are under 22 you will receive half a week's pay for each year; between 22 and 41, one week for each year; if over 41, 1.5 weeks. The most statutory redundancy an individual can receive is £10,500.

• Payoffs are calculated in full years, but with no fractions. So if you have worked for 10 years and 11 months, it is counted as 10.

You can work out your statutory entitlement using the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform's ready reckoner.

If your employer cannot afford your redundancy payment in the short term, the Redundancy Payments Office may make the payment from the national insurance fund. If your employer goes bust, the office makes the payment and recovers the debt later. For more information visit the Insolvency Service website.

You have the right to appeal against redundancy. Try offering to work shorter hours or a pay freeze, for example. This might be attractive to an employer trying to cut costs.

You can take your case to an employment tribunal if you have grounds to dispute your employer's decision.

This might be because you feel you were not consulted properly under the rules, or suspect age or sex discrimination, or a failure to try and find you a suitable alternative in the workplace, or you disagree with the level of redundancy payment.

The TUC has a lengthy booklet on redundancy and your rights at worksmart.org.uk

A. We wish to appeal. Presumably we must put a letter in to personnel confirming that we wish to appeal against I presume unsatisfactory selection of redundancy taken by company? Is this an adequate reason for appeal?

B. Is there a timescale to send your letter of appeal in?

Just to answer these two points BIGJIM.

A - Fundamental to a fair procedure in any redundancy where selection from pools is made, is a fair an objectively verifiable scoring criteria. Thus if you feel that you were selected unfairly because the scoring was flawed, then this alone, if you can prove it, could make your dismissal unfair.

B - Check your contract of employment / employee handbook. They should list the appeal time-scale. Most I see are 5-7 working days.

Good luck

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Our company has given us until 12 noon wednesday to write in our appeal. I should add, that over the years, anyone who has appealed has lost. Managing director always sticks by personnel department and manager. If business picks up and they start recruiting again, if you've appealed, you dont get asked back. And finally, 2 years ago, an individual lost their appeal but dug their heels in and took the company to an industrial tribunal.....and won. It may be a long road but he who dares...

Did your employer consider whether there were any alternative jobs. If your employer has assessed you as part of a redundancy selection process you should be told your scores. Ask for a copy of your score and the scores of anyone else with whom you have been compared. If you think you have been incorrectly assessed or that someone else should have assessed you tell your employer why. Personnel have advised that individuals do have the right to appeal on the above. Several of us, do not agree with the marking system used on assessments and wish to appeal against this. We know of several employees who have the same skills or less than us but who also have bad timekeeping and attendance. Why are they still in the building? :Go for it BigJim-sounds ok to me-lets make it hard for them-the outcome you want really is no one loses their job-even the less than perfect ones.As you go down the path-to whatever the final outcome is we will carry on trying to give you advice about future tribunals etc.Maybe after you have put the appeal in you can update or before with any questions you may have.Maybe you can read this for possible future reference.Dont forget the proffesional option.

If you have been unfairly selected for redundancy - rather than making a claim to an employment tribunal – it may be possible to negotiate an enhanced payment.mmm

It is usually a condition of making an enhanced payment that the employee enters into a compromise agreement with the employer to prevent the employee making any further claims. An employer proposing redundancies needs to devise and operate a fair procedure of selecting those to be made redundant. Selection for redundancy.

Selection is usually based on a scoring system in which points are awarded under various criteria. The criteria are likely to include factors such as experience, skills, attendance, timekeeping and disciplinary record. Criteria should be objective so far as possible to reduce the risk of disagreement about scores. To avoid possible age discrimination length of service is often not considered.

Make sure you know why it is your job that is at risk of redundancy and tell your employer if you think there are alternatives to redundancy (such as r

Ask if your employer has considered whether there are any alternative jobs. If You Think You Have Been Unfairly Selected .

As a redundancy is a dismissal, you have the same right of appeal as if you had been dismissed for any other reason and the process for the appeal will be the same. Your employer should tell you how to appeal the decision.

Your letter of appeal should include all the points which you have made already that you think are still valid, plus any other points which you have thought of since.

The employer should then set a time for your appeal to be heard. You are entitled to take a colleague or trade union official with you to the appeal hearing to act either as a witness/note taker or as your representative.

Deciding Whether to Make an Employment Tribunal Claim for Unfair Selection.

You have the right to claim that you have been unfairly selected for redundancy if you have continuous service of at least one year. If the employer has used a fair procedure, Employment Tribunals will not normally interfere with their selection - especially if there are major job losses relative to the size of the employer.

Even if you are sure that you can show that you have been unfairly selected for redundancy any award made by the Employment Tribunal may be small. The standard redundancy payment is the same as the basic award which a tribunal would make .Good luck Big Jim.As ive said before i am no expert ,just trying to help, and dont forget the links and proffessional idea.Tawnyowl.

Thanks tawnyowl for your encouraging thoughts. There are several points I can answer to:

Did your employer consider whether there were any alternative jobs.

My employer advsised me there was no alternative jobs available. However, since leaving the building, when there has been no work in other areas, I have been advised by remaining employees that they have been putting someone else in my work area. Unfortunately for me, whilst I have been told this, my colleagues have advised that they do not wish this to be mentioned in any appeal as they fear for any backlash from employer.

If your employer has assessed you as part of a redundancy selection process you should be told your scores. Ask for a copy of your score and the scores of anyone else with whom you have been compared.

Yes I was told my scores and given my assessment sheet to take away. I appealed against everything and when I went to my final meeting manager advised that he had went through my points raised and felt in his opinion that the points given were fair and could not be changed. I advised him that there was some colleagues who were still employed that must have less points than me as they did have as much skills as me. However, he advised this was not the case and totally denied this. He knows he is lying by the way. Finally I asked twice for a copy of my colleagues points assessments sheets so I could compare their scores with mine....management REFUSED. Personnel were taking notes at this meeting and I specifically asked this to be minuted ie there refusal to give me a copy of colleagues scores.

I should also point out that at the 3 meetings I attented, they were minuted by personnel. I have asked for a copy of these minutes of meetings and company has verbally refused to give me a copy of minutes of meetings. I am led to believe that I am entitled to a copy of these. Should I send them a letter in writing requesting this again to cover my back?

I should also state that I took in a colleague as a witness at meetings.

Hi Jim,

Put in a data search on all data about you at the company make sure you are specific about what data you want and ask for the minutes of those meetings this will cost £10.00 pay by cheque made payable to your employers they must comply within 30 or 40 days im not sure exactly wich,

regards shifty,