• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Council issuing NTO without issuing PCN

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would you please advise me on the way PCN's are numbered as from your comments it appears they go up 11 at a time.

I believe that a CEO prints a 'test ticket' at the start of each day/shift.

Therefore if the 'test ticket' prints out as HG22165736 is it correct to assume that the first PCN that the CEO issues will be HG22165747?

What happens when the last digit is a 9?

For example does HG22165769 become HG22165780?

The test ticket number has no relevance as its not a PCN it just shows the date and time are correct usually the first PCN issued would be 11 after the last one the day before. The HG is the code for Havering, the first 7 digits are sequential and then a check digit is used. Sometimes the check digit can be a letter just to confuse you, lol.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great thread and Spellboy you've got them and they know it.

I wonder if the Director of the Department or Local Councillor/MP would be interested to know were our hard earned taxes are being spent.

Shows up LA's for what they are.....a law unto themselves...across the board.....across the country in every department.

Please keep the info flowing

Thanks for your support. You may have seen my other thread at

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/195003-ultimate-punishment-refusal-pay-5.html

Please do not think that I am a serial parking offender. In 22 years of living in Havering I have never encountered a situation like the one I now find myself in.

If you check the other thread you will see that I did indeed inform my local MP who was good enough to try to get the LA to look at the alleged offence again. Unfortunately the only result from that was the NtO that sparked off this current thread.

Having initially made polite observations to the LA that, in the first alleged contravention I was likely to succeed due to incorrect signage and roadmarkings I suddenly received an NtO 45 days after an earlier alleged contravention when the CEO originally did not give me a PCN.

It seemed as if the LA were determined to get me somehow because I had dared to complain to my MP.

I feel, as you probably do also, that the amount of council employees' time wasted to date on both of these alleged contraventions has cost Havering Council taxpayers far more than the fines will generate, even if the LA win against my appeal.

I do not think my case is unique. Imagine what this is costing if this situation is being repeated nationwide.

It's fortunate for me that, being retired I have time to spend writing letters and chasing around the net for info.

Most people just don't have the time or the knowledge that these things can be fought and simply pay up within 14 days to benefit from the 50% discount.

It's like being bribed with one's own money into paying a fine that may not lawfully be justified.

If I am successful in my appeal I may be awarded costs which will waste even more money.

Edited by spellboy
spelling

I feel, as you probably do also, that the amount of council employees' time wasted to date on both of these alleged contraventions has cost Havering Council taxpayers far more than the fines will generate, even if the LA win against my appeal.

I do not think my case is unique. Imagine what this is costing if this situation is being repeated nationwide.

On both occasions you are clearly in the wrong there is a photo of you parked on the footway contary to a law that has been in place for over 20 years and in the other you admit you parked without a permit to hoover your car so you are hardly an innocent victim.

The fact that the Council or more correctly one or more of its staff have failed to follow the correct procedure doesn't detract from the fact that if you hadn't parked where you did none of this would have happened. You may feel smug in the fact that you may escape paying the fines but it has cost you far more of your own time than ANY member of Council staff who are paid to deal with your case and it may have escaped your notice but it is you that actually pays those wages. You are correct in one thing and that is that most people in a similar situation do pay and that is because a) they are honest enough to realise they where in the wrong and b) sensible enough to realise spending hours of their time to get off a £50 fine is not worth the effort.

green and mean is this a guise that you adopt or are you really like how you are coming across in the posts.

Have you never felt wronged, why do you help people on here if this is how you feel?

It is all about Natural Justice and you dont seem to grasp that. I would not even begin to establish how many people you may have helped on these forums...you may have your reasoning for this stance.....but being a council employee does not justify this.

Again I do not want to be drawn into any arguments that I have nothing to gain from ....I have enough issues needing addressed myself and I am thnkfull for the help I recieve.

FACT, Local Authorities across the country are generally overstaffed and running way below the capacity that the would be if they were a private firm. It is a bit of a generalisation, but one that I have confidence in stating.

I would wind your neck in a little it is not personal just an opinion.

Please dont be offended I am sure you do more good on the forums than most but get off the old boys back eh.

choi

On both occasions you are clearly in the wrong there is a photo of you parked on the footway contary to a law that has been in place for over 20 years and in the other you admit you parked without a permit to hoover your car so you are hardly an innocent victim.

The fact that the Council or more correctly one or more of its staff have failed to follow the correct procedure doesn't detract from the fact that if you hadn't parked where you did none of this would have happened. You may feel smug in the fact that you may escape paying the fines but it has cost you far more of your own time than ANY member of Council staff who are paid to deal with your case and it may have escaped your notice but it is you that actually pays those wages. You are correct in one thing and that is that most people in a similar situation do pay and that is because a) they are honest enough to realise they where in the wrong and b) sensible enough to realise spending hours of their time to get off a £50 fine is not worth the effort.

I am never sure if you are playing Devil’s advocate or whether you actually believe all the comments you make.

In this thread I have already stated that I knew I had taken a risk in parking where I did.

When I saw the CEO walking away from my car I expected a PCN would be on the windscreen.

If there had been I would have paid it within 14 days and it would have cost me £60 not £50.

For whatever reason; the CEO did not serve the PCN and therefore the enforcement process cannot be pursued.

That just happens to be the law, as I understand it.

Additionally the LA failed to respond to my representations within the specified period.

However the LA will not accept their errors and are asking me to pay the full fine of £120.

They are forcing me into making an appeal because they won’t admit they have failed to do the job they are paid to do.

The situation is the same in my other thread. The LA want to punish me for a very minor contravention of parking in a resident’s bay for one minute. However when I point out that they have significantly failed to mark out and sign the bay in accordance with the statutory regulations they don’t want the rules to apply to them.

A case of ‘do as I say not as I do’.

You mention honesty in your point (a).

The LA are not honest enough to accept that they are in the wrong when they fail to observe their own rules.

To deal with your point (b)

Councils are, in many cases, getting away with fining people who have not actually broken the law. They are taking advantage of the fact that many of us do not know the legal obligations that apply to the council.

The purpose of this forum is, as I understand it, to make the public aware of their rights so that we are not bullied into paying fines that are not justified.

There has been much in the media recently about how much councils are fleecing from motorists.

It is all about making money and nothing to do with parking control.

In days gone by Traffic Wardens gave a discretionary 5 minutes before booking people.

In those days it was more about common sense than making money.

I do not feel smug at all.

I am very grateful to those people who have given me guidance and the confidence to fight back.

Even if I win the appeal I will not feel smug because in reality I will not actually have won anything.

I simply will not pay a fine that I should not have been asked to pay in the first place.

I doubt that the LA will be punished for it’s unreasonable behaviour and will no doubt carry on making money out of motorists.

Can someone please advise me on the following.

I recently saw a motorist parked with 2 wheels on a footway.

A little further along I saw a ‘camera car’ parked on a double yellow line on the other side of the road.

Inside was a young woman in uniform operating a camera and photographing the other parked car.

No doubt the motorist will be sent a PCN.

However isn’t the woman photographing him also illegally parked and also breaking the law?

This was around 12 noon on a weekday.

I was on foot BTW.

Edited by spellboy

Can someone please advise me on the following.

I recently saw a motorist parked with 2 wheels on a footway.

A little further along I saw a ‘camera car’ parked on a double yellow line on the other side of the road.

Inside was a young woman in uniform operating a camera and photographing the other parked car.

No doubt the motorist will be sent a PCN.

However isn’t the woman photographing him also illegally parked and also breaking the law?

This was around 12 noon on a weekday.

I was on foot BTW.

Possibly yes, possibly no. She may have a dispensation for yellow lines - it's impossible to say. In any case even if she was where she should not have been, it doesn't mean the particular car you saw was parked correctly so it's not really relevant - although I can see why it would irritate.

Was the camera car parked or merely stopped? No doubt wiser minds will be able to explain the legal distinction, although it probably depends on the car being occupied on not.

I would think that they would have some form of exemption. I see disabled drivers parked on double yellow lines all around Glasgow.

I think its an entirely different matter if the camera car was causing an obstruction or on pedestrian crossing "zig-zags"

I thought the law is unenforceable if there has been procedural impropreity by the Local Authority, but I dont know I thought I read this on this site.

I does not matter anyway the LA and there employees are supposed to act with integrity, honestly and follow procedure and statute as dictated by the Scottish Executive in our neck of the woods. Your LA have not and therfore are acting ultra vires, Fact.

Its always good to get the good, the bad and the ugly version of input from posters.....there is a fair share of knowledgable people on this site....negative, positive and matter of fact.

"For whatever reason; the CEO did not serve the PCN and therefore the enforcement process cannot be pursued. That just happens to be the law, as I understand it." You misunderstand the law.

Would you please explain the misunderstanding?

In a post elsewhere on this forum someone stated that if a PCN isn't fixed to a vehicle or handed to the driver it has to be posted within 14 days to the owner. If that isn't done then, the poster said, the contravention cannot be enforced.

Is that information incorrect?

see regulation 10 PCNs under the TMA, thems the postal ones

I am sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

Could you expand a little please?

What is TMA?

Where do I find regulation 10?

I apologise if I appear dim.

I am just trying to understand your comment.

Was the camera car parked or merely stopped? No doubt wiser minds will be able to explain the legal distinction, although it probably depends on the car being occupied on not.

I would think that they would have some form of exemption. I see disabled drivers parked on double yellow lines all around Glasgow.

I think its an entirely different matter if the camera car was causing an obstruction or on pedestrian crossing "zig-zags"

I have seen reports where CEO's have served PCN's on cars waiting on yellow lines with drivers behind the wheel and engines running.

I think most if not all CEO's would serve a PCN on a normal car parked on a double yellow line regardless of whether it was causing an obstruction or not.

However it would be a brave CEO who served a PCN on a camera car.

Maybe they have exemption...that's what I am trying to find out.

If they have exemption it would seem like a case of double standards.

Thank you very much for providing that info.

I've quickly gone through and will obviously read it more thoroughly.

On first reading it seems to me that the LA are not following the guidelines.

The NtO I received through the post stated (incorrectly) that the PCN was 'served' by the CEO on the date of the alleged contravention. I therefore assumed that the postal requirements did not apply.

Am I still correct in thinking that even though a vehicle is photographed causing a contravention, enforcement only begins when a PCN is served?

Is it therefore correct to assume that if a PCN is not served at the time or sent through the post (within the correct period) then the contravention cannot be enforced?

Spellboy.

Have you filed for a hearing with the adjudicator yet?

Again, why don't you send the Council a letter (clear and to the point) asserting that their rejection letter was out of time? Forget all the circumstantial stuff about conversations, pharmacies, on-duty/off-duty, photographs of vehicles, and the like - it will just confuse the person reading it.

State the date of your letter, the date of their reply and the fact that the gap is well over 56 days. Please would they confirm that they will now cancel the PCN.

You can almost certainly get this resolved via that route, particularly if you have applied for adjudication.

I have seen reports where CEO's have served PCN's on cars waiting on yellow lines with drivers behind the wheel and engines running.

I think that you will find waiting is prohibited on yellow lines regardless of the driver being present or the engine running.

• 3 months later...
Spellboy.

Have you filed for a hearing with the adjudicator yet?

Again, why don't you send the Council a letter (clear and to the point) asserting that their rejection letter was out of time? Forget all the circumstantial stuff about conversations, pharmacies, on-duty/off-duty, photographs of vehicles, and the like - it will just confuse the person reading it.

State the date of your letter, the date of their reply and the fact that the gap is well over 56 days. Please would they confirm that they will now cancel the PCN.

You can almost certainly get this resolved via that route, particularly if you have applied for adjudication.

I did as you suggested but I was simply referred back to the adjudication process.

My hearing was set for 12/12/2009.

I then left to visit relatives in Australia returning on 28/11/2009.

I found the following letter in the post when I got back.

f_lkg3o7e3hmym_5f2726a.jpg

So it seems to be all over. I am very relieved. However as I have said before I haven't won anything because the CEO never gave me a ticket in the first place.

I would like to thank all of you (especially Pat Davies and Jamberson) who gave me the information and encouragement to make a stand against the LA.

I hope my experience will encourage others to do the same.