ACS:Law copyright file sharing claims, Gallant Macmillan - and probably some others along the way...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was there any outcome to the investigation of ACS Law by the SRA? I seem to recall the result being due at the end of July.

THERES AN OUTCOME NOW

http://www.slyck.com/story2028_FileSharing_Lawyer_Andrew_Crossely_to_Face_Disciplinary_Tribunal

Edited by citizenB
replaced non working link

Has anyone who received a letter from ACS LAW regarding illegal file sharing received any further letters? I ask because I have sent ACS LAW a letter denying anyt wrong doing but have yet to receive a further reply.

Yes I sent a lod to acs law and received the 2nd 'you can't use a template' letter.

Does anyone know how they calculate the amount? I ask because I phoned acs law and he said it was £1 for everyone who got the file from your computer, I have seen lots of people who have allegedly downloaded the same track as me and are being charged exactly the same amount.

RESULT!!

Hopefully they will make an example of ACS and give some of the suffering they have caused back to them!

I spoke with the SRA complaints service yesterday as follow up to my initial complaint about GM, they said that there is a steady flow of complaints coming in about them also, with any luck they will be next!

For some unknown reason Which have apparently removed that page, yet this still shows up on google search for the above url.

File sharing solicitor to face disciplinary body - Which? News

23 Aug 2010 ... The Solicitors Regulation Authority is referring Andrew Crossley of ACS Law Solicitors to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal after Which? ...

http://www.which.co.uk/.../file-sharing-solicitor-to-face-disciplinary-body-225840

There's this tho' http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/03/file-sharing-solicitors-under-investigation-205433

ACS are free to continue their campaign of fear. They have not been found guilty of misconduct. Only referred to the tribunal.

However, I wonder if the fact that they have been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal could be used in LOD. i.e. i note that you have been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal for alleged misconduct in these very matters and therefore will not correspond with you further until the results of the tribunal have been made public...

let's see, it's Tuesday today....that'll be.....about a year, or year and a half?

Seriously, if he is threatening court proceedings on a matter for which he has been referred to tribunal, wouldn't the proceedings be stayed until those results were known?

Edited by BARFLY

No mention on the ACS website! HaHa!

Out of interest, are solicitors required to inform the public when they have been referred to the SOLICITORS DISCIPLINARY TRIBUNAL?

Maybe Watchdog and the OneShow will update the viewers on events!

Dear acs law

i note that you have been referred to the solicitors disciplinary tribunal regarding this matter. in the light of this information i will not correspond further until the tribunal has concluded. should you continue threaten legal action i will consider your actions to be vexatious and report the matter to the SRA...

something along those lines. i'm sure someone more erudite will be along shortly.

Just print out the press report and attach it to a short covering letter :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

i wonder if he'll now use the thousands of bt names he must have recently aquired? probably. make hay while the sun shines.

regarding the npo's, anyone know whether he can sell on the names he has aquired to another solicitor? now that he's aboard a sinking ship. surely not.

ISPS NEED NO OTHER REASON THAN THIS TO CONTEST FURTHER NPOS FOR ACS! THE ONLY REASON THEY WOULD NOT, WOULD BE TO MAKE MONEY FROM PROVIDING THE DETAILS. LIKE THE MUCH HERALDED PLUSNET WHO SUBSEQUENTLY LET GREED GET IN THE WAY OF RIGHT

For some unknown reason Which have apparently removed that page, yet this still shows up on google search for the above url.

There's this tho' http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/03/file-sharing-solicitors-under-investigation-205433

Looks like its back now ????

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2010/08/file-sharing-solicitor-to-face-disciplinary-body-225840

Maybe Sky and the other ISP's who rolled over and co-operated with ACS Law should be informed of this action being taken against their 'bedfellow', as I doubt Mr Crossley will tell them.

After Davenport Lyons and now ACS Law perhaps they will choose who they jump into bed with a bit more carefully in the future

Edited by 8of9
corrected

However, I wonder if the fact that they have been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal could be used in LOD. i.e. i note that you have been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal for alleged misconduct in these very matters and therefore will not correspond with you further until the results of the tribunal have been made public...

let's see, it's Tuesday today....that'll be.....about a year, or year and a half?

Seriously, if he is threatening court proceedings on a matter for which he has been referred to tribunal, wouldn't the proceedings be stayed until those results were known?

Anyone?

The threat of the SDT and the bad publicity which accompanied it was enough for Davenport Lyons to give up and pass the baton to ACS Law. Whether this will be enough for ACS Law to give up remains to be seen. Will the same fate befall Gallant McMillan? Chances are that it will.

Surely the SRA can see a pattern here... Tilly Bailey Irvine, Davenport Lyons, ACS Law, Gallant McMillan ....

All complaints are about the same thing. How many more will have joined the fray before the SDT hearings.

The regulating bodies should do something NOW.

What will be interesting to see is if any further letters are sent out by ACS Law, and if GM's strategy changes.

Hi people, just to let you know I got a letter from my MP as follows-

"Thankyou for your email regarding the threatened action by Gallant Macmillan. I must point out at the outset that this letter cannot in any way be taken as legal advice.

I believe that this is a matter of "speculative invoicing", for which a number of firms are under investigation by the SRA. In the enclosed letter I have drawn your concerns to the attention of the SRA who should be in touch with you shortly.

I have been contacted by a number of people regarding this practice and it is something that I find unacceptable. I will be paying close attention to the investigation done by the SRA to this company and others like it, and making sure that this practice is properly regulated.

If you feel you need legal advice on the matter do contact you local citizen's advice bureau.

Thank you for drawing your concerns to my attention."

And the letter that was sent to the SRA on my behalf-

"Further to my letter dated *** June 2010 regarding the practice of law firm "ACS:Law", I have recieved an identical complaint about the law firm "Gallant Macmillan". A constituent, **********, of ********** had been sent a standard letter of claim for the sum of £350 for an illegally downloaded album of which **** has no knowledge.

As outlined in my prior letter, I am concerned about the widespread impact of these "speculative invoices" and the targetting of individuals. I would appreciate it if you could inform me whether Gallant Macmillan are the subject of an investigation by the SRA."

Anyone reading this thread, if you haven't done so already please contact your MPs about this. The ball is rolling now. It needs to keep going. Thankyou for all your advice as well.

Got them now

Digital File Check is a free software programme that helps people clean-up their computers and avoid illegal file-sharing. Music fans who want to be safe and legal on the Internet will be able to stop their computer being used for illegal file-swapping of copyright music and movies.

And I thought that they were only in it for the money :confused:

.......then they use the list of IP addresses theyve harvested from people downloading the tool and hammer them too?

so ACS is under investigation after 1.5 years ,that is good news.

How long will this take for the SRA to come to a conclusion and could this have a ripple effect on other companies such as gallant macmillan and put an end to this once and for all.

http://www.solicitorsjournal.com/story.asp?sectioncode=2&storycode=16835&c=1&eclipse_action=getsession

Thank you for your e-mail of 06 August,

I can certainly understand your frustration with the time this investigation has taken. Please accept my assurance that this time has been well spent.

I am pleased to inform you that;

On 18 August 2010 an Authorised Officer at the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) decided to refer the conduct of Mr Crossley to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (SDT).

Further details about the SDT can be found on our website at:

http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/enforcement/intervention-tribunal/solicitors-disciplinary-tribunal.page.

This link explains what will happen during the disciplinary proceedings.

The matter has now been referred to our Legal Department who will instruct solicitors to act for the SRA in connection with the disciplinary proceedings.

I am sure the many letters of complaint we have received will be invaluable during Mr Crossley’s hearing.

I trust that this information will allay some of your concern. However, if you have any further queries which you would like to discuss, please contact us by telephone on 0870 606 2555. Our lines are open 09.00 to 17.00 Monday to Friday. If you are calling from overseas please use +44 (0) 1527 504450. Please note calls may be monitored/recorded for training purposes. Alternatively you can send an e-mail to [email protected].

Thank you for contacting the SRA.

Sincerely

James Grubb

Team Co-ordinator

Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA)

Phone: 0870 606 2555

Int: +44 (0) 1527 504450

Fax: 0207 320 5964

E-mail: [email protected]

'The SRA is transforming its approach to regulation. Outcomes-focused regulation will concentrate on the quality of outcomes for clients, with a simplified rulebook and more flexibility for firms. Respond to our consultations, including the new draft Handbook, at www.sra.org.uk/freedominpractice Let us know what you think

This was the letter i received from the SRA, it appears to suggest that the whole investigation into ACS Law is complete, including my complaints. Therefore the case was not just about Which, but about all the many hundreds of people who complained, I hope the wheels of justice turn a little quicker than they are doing for the "Davenport-Lyons two"!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks