Fixed Penalty - Is it enforceable?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, earlier last month I had an accident and unfortuantely my car was just out of MoT. I was issued with a Fixed penalty notice for £60.00, which I tried to pay over the counter when I got paid yesterday, but can't so am now out of time with the 28 days.

However on closer inspection I noticed that the accident was on the 2/4/09 and the officer has put the date as 3/4/09 on the fixed penalty - is this enforceable?

Don't think it would help either way, as on BOTH dates, you car didn't have an MoT. If your new MoT certificate was dated 3/4/09 you could prove that you had a valid certificate on the date of issue of the FPN, but as you haven;t - if you make a fuss they could just amend the ticket and you'd be back where you are now...!

Thanks Buzby, but my point is this:

I was not driving that car at that time on that road on the 3rd - the car was off the road from accident (on 2nd) until it passed it's MoT a few days later. The officer issuing the ticket cannot prove I was on the road at that time. You can have a car out of MoT as long as it is not on a public highway and it wasn't used AT ALL on the third. More to the point, if the officer was working on the 3rd, maybe there is a log of where he was at that time and date which would contradict the FP. If he was not working then how could he issue a ticket?

AFAIK the FPN is only an offer to admit guilt and is not a legal document. If you refuse it, a summons will be issued and may well be corrected as the officer may refer to his official notes taken at the time which are highly likely to be correctly dated.