Mackenzie Hall

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all i recieved a letter last week from this ****, i rang them today to see what it was about gave them ref no. and security Qs, turns out to relate to a RBS credit card from 1998ish last action 2001 not been in contact since then according to them.

Any way didnt acknoledge debt on phone but just said that it would be statute barred any way, she said that because i didnt give RBS a forwarding address this isnt the case, is this right? do i have to tell them if i move?

Also she said if this is the case i should write to them stating the fact it is statute barred.

What do you think?

ataxidriver64

It is statute barred - end of.

Tell them to get lost & report them to the OFT/trading standards.

As i thought, thanks for the quick reply, do i do it in a SB letter or a letter telling them to FO lol

thanks

ataxidriver64

Send them this

Dear Cretins

Acc/Ref No

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could lead to a prosecution under the onsumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

I wouldnt bother writing to them or phoning them quite frankly.

Just report them to the authorities like i said.

It makes the complaint better Mr Ton though if you have told the Kilmarnock Cowboys in writing that the debt is Statute Barred

Hi thanks i wont bother contacting them again, i will just report them, I have some current debt to sort so cant be bothered with SB debt, but i will lodge a complaint with the OFT, i will just wait and see if anything else comes from them as now i have confirmed my address to them.

thanks

ataxidriver64

It makes the complaint better Mr Ton though if you have told the Kilmarnock Cowboys in writing that the debt is Statute Barred

Didnt see this before my last post, does make sense to send SB letter, better grounds to complain if they continue persuing it

ataxidriver64

I second that. Write to them first and if they come back to you, contact the OFT.

Hi i have done the letter using the SB template, and will be posting it today, would it be better to send it signed for so i know they have recieved it, i will also let you all know what response i get off them.

thanks

ataxidriver64

I personally wouldnt waste my time writing to them.(its your choice on that)

You'll just get the usual nonsense off them in return.

They know full well its statute barred.

They are powerless without going through the county courts 1st, everyone knows that...so i would just rather report to the usual authorities & let MH whistle in the wind quite frankly.

I personally wouldnt waste my time writing to them.(its your choice on that)

You'll just get the usual nonsense off them in return.

They know full well its statute barred.

They are powerless without going through the county courts 1st, everyone knows that...so i would just rather report to the usual authorities & let MH whistle in the wind quite frankly.

Normally I agree with you but I feel in this case its better to tell Muck Hall in writing. After all they are under scrutiny from the OFT so another documented complaint against them will add to the already bulging file. They can deny phone calls but not recorded delivery letters.

The OFT would not consider a complaint about a DCA/creditor pursuing a statute barred debt unless the alleged debtor has in fact made a written declaration stating that it was statute barred. See the conditions imposed on MH

The OFT has barred it from pursuing debts that have been disputed in writing or that are too old to be enforced and has threatened to hit the firm with a £50,000 fine and loss of its licence if it breaks this ban.
Edited by cerberusalert

The OFT would not consider a complaint about a DCA/creditor pursuing a statute barred debt unless the alleged creditor has in fact made a written declaration stating that it was statute barred. See the conditions imposed on MH

Excellent point :)

• 4 weeks later...