Assignment of debt vs debt sold - Is there any difference between the 2?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is there any difference between an assignment of debt from the original creditor to a Debt Collection Agecy (DCA) and the debt being sold to another company and that new company seeking payment of the original debt (whilst the account is in dispute)?

Technically there are potentially some relatively complex legal issues but in very general terms - A sale of a debt usually is an assignment - the fact that the account may or may not be in dispute is irrelevant.

If you have a specific query on assignment/sale of debt then if you can post some specific information about what has happened then we can try to less general

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

I bow to greater wisdom, no im not being sarcy!

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

• 4 weeks later...
sorry to drag this old thread up but I need some advice. Can a company trasnfer / assign a debt to a DCA if there is no clause in the credit agreement allowing this.

Possibly a court would accept it, unless there are express terms stating clearly they cannot assign or transfer.

sorry to drag this old thread up but I need some advice. Can a company trasnfer / assign a debt to a DCA if there is no clause in the credit agreement allowing this.

My understanding is that, at common law, there is an implied right to assign

I'm going into the library later today and I'll double check

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

The sixth edition of "An Outline of the Law of Contract" by Treitel says

"The Law in general treats contractual rights as assignable;but it only treats them in this way so long as this does not prejudice the debtor or offend some public interest" (page 281)

Treitel notes that "In general it is thought to make no difference to a contracting party in whose favour he performs. This is most obviously true in the case of a money debt. If A owes £100 to X he normally suffers no prejudice if instead of having to pay X he has to pay an assignee Y. This is assumed to be true even where X is an indulgent and Y an exacting creditor. If A wants to protect himself against having to perform in favour of anyone except X, he can do so by expressly providing in the original contract that its' benefit is not be assignable" - Treitel refers to the cases of Helstan Securities Ltd v Hertfordshire County Council [1978] 3 All ER 262 and Linden Gardens Trust Ltd v Lenesta Sludge Disposals Ltd [1994] 1 AC 85 as being the authorities upon which the statement is based.

IMO the position is that, as a general rule, a debt is assignable UNLESS there is a term in the agreement which says it cannot be assigned.

There may be other reasons which prevent the debt being assigned, for example public policy or prejudice to the debtor BUT IMO the lack of a term in the agreement permitting assignment is NOT one of them

The 12 + 30 days still stands for default whichever assignment takes place.

As far as I know the extra 30 days no longer applies. Its now just the 12 working days

• 1 year later...
Whilst that may be true in terms of OFT guidelines - as a matter of law the company can sell the debt (subject to any restrictions in the original contract) and of course the mechanism through which legal ownership is transferred is assignment and the assignee (the new owner of the debt) can bring proceedings. The fact that the assignment was in breach of OFT guidance does NOT make the assignment unlawful.

I do not agree with you.

S3(1) 3(4) and S5(3) of The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 make it very clear that a debt collection company which does not comply with the provisions of the OFT debt collection guidance is comitting a prohibited unfair commercial practice, if it fails to comply with a code of conduct which the trader has undertaken to comply with. The OFT guidance is such a code of conduct.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread.

On the subject of Assignments - can a creditor 'sell' a debt without a default or termination notice if the dca doesnt hold a consumer credit licence?

Also if the account has a large amount of fees/charges added would that make the Assignment unlawful as the assigned amount would be wrong?

Still learning - if you dont ask you dont learn :)