International Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5480 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Like most of you, I live in the UK. Global Debt Recovery are pursuing me for a debt to a bank in another country (within EU) which is about 5 years old. I am following the procedure to request a copy of the related CCA. Can they really come after me for this? I was totally unaware of it. Heard nothing from the bank in question and now many years later this crowd pitch up threatening court action.

Any advise you can give would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

:oops:Hi

I dont have an answer but like u I am in search of one. I had debts within the EU which i left behind in 2003 (over 6 years ago) i too would like to know should they ever come knocking what i can do about it and what law stands whether it is the scottish Prescription & Limitations Act or the EU Country law?

We would much appreciate help

Thanks

Jon

Thought i would send you this in the hope of it helping its based on Dutch law but i simply googled Dutch Statute of Liitations and i got the answer perhaps if you type in the country and then stat limitations it may help you. Heres the dutch law though.

Jeni

Statute of Limitations

In order not to lose claims due to limitation periods it is important to be aware of related limitation periods.

Following a reform of the law governing limitation periods, the usual limitation period is 3 years, in the case of property claims 10 years.

The limitation date commences at the end of the year in which the claim arose. If goods were supplied to a costumer in 2003, then the 3-year limitation date starts on 01.01.2004 and ends on 31.12.2007.

Also barred after 30 years under the Statute of Limitations are, amongst others, legally valid claims (judgments, enforcement orders) as well as settlements or enforceable certificates. Limitation periods start again when the debtor acknowledges the creditor’s claim by means of a

• deposit,
  • interest payment
  • surety
  • or otherwise.

In principle the limitation period becomes applicable again by applying or executing an enforcement order issued by the court or an official authority.

The limitation period can also be suspended e.g. from the moment the creditor and debtor agree to payment in instalments. As opposed to a new start of the limitation period, a suspension only extends the limitation period for the duration of the suspension itself.