N/Power. Not even my debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I moved into a property in Aug 2008, private rental and within a month a baliff knocked asking for £800 gas debt. I explained to the arrogant man the date we moved in, my landlords name and address and my name. To my astonishment in January the Baliffs turned up, with Lock smith, Court Official to put a meter in. My landlord came down and explained that he had supplied all the details and meter readings on the day we moved in.

Still N/Power installed a Gas meter, charged me £150 costs, £45 for the meter rental and put the £800 debt on the meter, taking £7 per week off the debt.

I am getting no where with them and feel totally outraged that in the 1st instance I gave the baliff all the details and he has not acted on this.

Do I legally have to pay the Court Costs and rental cost of the meter, let alone the £800 debt.

Any help will be accepted.

Many Thanks

In short, no.

If the debt had been built up before you moved in, when your landlord contacted npower concerning the change of occupants they would have requested a copy of the tenancy agreement showing you had taken responsibility.

The fact that the warrant visit took place implies that either

a) npower did not receive the tenancy agreement at all (perhaps ask the landlord for the date he sent the tenancy agreement - a blank look probably means it didnt happen)

or equally likely

b) they received the tenancy agreement however it did not arrive in sufficient time to allow it to be processed and the changes to be made prior the visit. (this would be indicated by further contact from npower advising of your shiny new account)

As far as i know the people responsible for the warrant visit would be required to check with npower for updates before any action is taken (this usually occurrs immediately prior to the visit) to ensure that 'last minute changes to circumstances' can be taken into consideration.

All of the above is a little 'horse bolted, but lock the gate for the hell of it' So,

Write in to npower - with a copy of your tenancy agreement (must show landlord + tenant signatures) and outline your wish to have the details concerning the property and your tenancy updated. Also advise that as you were clearly not responsible for the debt that resulted in the prepayment meter being fitted you would like it removing as soon as possible.

Provide a contact number and times you are available during the correspondence departments opening times (08:00-17:00 Mon-Thu, 08:00-16:30 Fri) and you 'should' get a phone call to arrange the appointment. Worst case you might get a letter advising details have been amended and a number to contact to arrange the exchange.

This should resolve the issues with the 'minimum fuss' - i use that term with artistic licence :p

For your records - and your own future sanity please take a meter reading from the old and new meters on the date of ANY change for your own records in case of 'confusion'.