• Tweets

• The important thing to know is that MET - although they will send you threat after threat about how they will divert a drone from Ukraine and make it fall on your home - hardly ever do court. Even in the very small number of cases where they send court papers, if the Cagger defends, they drop the matter before the hearing.  They have no real intention of putting their rubbish claim before a judge.  The aim is to find motorists who are terrified of the idea of going to court and who will give in when the court papers arrive. Thanks for doing the sticky and well done on finding F18's thread.  Do what they did.  On the first page - I think post 19 - there is the address of the CEO of BP.  Write to them, lay it on thick about being genuine customers in the various premises, mention the small kids, the very short stay time, attach any proof of purchase - and request that they get the invoice cancelled.
    • Thank you for that, I have obviously already been convicted so I think the appeal lodged is for the previous offence? Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. I suppose my only concern is that weds I go there and they don’t let a stat dec happen. If they do then as you say and solicitor says it’s highly likely I’ll be happy with the outcome. But I’m being told there’s no guarantee for the stat dec to be hard Weds as that’s not what the hearing is proposed for. Solicitor has stated that you can put a stat dec before a magistrates at any time so it shouldn’t be a problem.   
    • I re-read the extract from your  solicitor's letter this morning and think I might understand what they have in mind. I believe (and it’s only a guess) their strategy is this: 1.    You will make your SD 2.    You will enter fresh pleas to the four charges (not guilty) but will offer to plead guilty to speeding on the understanding that the FtP charges are dropped. 3.    If this is accepted they will attempt to argue that the two offences were committed “on the same occasion” 4.    You will be sentenced for those two offences (the sentence depending on whether the “same occasion” argument succeeds). They also have a plan in the event that your offer at (2) is unsuccessful and you are convicted again of the 2xFtP charges (and so face disqualification under “totting up”): 5.    They will make an “exceptional hardship” argument to avoid a ban. 6.    If that is unsuccessful they have already lodged an appeal in the Crown Court against that decision. (This is the only “appeal” I can think of). 7.    They plan to ask the court to suspend your ban pending that appeal. If I’m correct, I’m surprised the Crown Court has agreed to accept a speculative appeal (against something that hasn’t happened). The solicitor says this is to lodge it within the normal timescales. But you will have 21 days from the date of your conviction (which will be next Wednesday) to lodge an appeal with the Crown Court, so there is no need for a speculative appeal. I have to say that an application to have your ban suspended pending an appeal is unlikely to succeed. The Magistrates Court is unlikely to agree to it for one very good reason: if they make such an order (suspending your ban until your appeal is heard), all you need to do is not to pursue the appeal and the Magistrates order suspending your ban will remain in place. Hey Presto! No ban and no need for you to trouble with an appeal. Perhaps he will ask for your ban to be suspended for (say) three months or until your appeal is heard (whichever occurs first). This potentially creates a problem because if your appeal is not heard in that time either your ban will kick in or you will have o go back to court to get the suspension extended. But the solicitor obviously knows more about these things than I do. I would want to be very clear about this solicitor’s fees and what he proposes to charge you for. As I said, there is absolutely no need to lodge an appeal with the Crown Court. That can be done if and when it becomes required. But I am still firmly of the opinion that it is overwhelmingly likely that you will not need to progress beyond point 2 above. Point 3 is optional and I don’t know whether he solicitor has made It clear to you that the only thing you will avoid in the event of success is three penalty points. You will still be fined for the second offence and your driving record will still be endorsed with the details, but no penalty points will be imposed. Do let us know how it goes.  
    • I'm really trying, but worst case I can't find what are my options?
    • John Lewis' Privacy Notice states that their CCTV Systems does not use facial recognition or collect biometric data - so I assume it should be fine?    Thank you a lot for your reply. I've scheduled my first therapy session ne t week. Really the time to turn my life around..
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

clamped for previous owners fines

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all, im new on here so forgive me if im posting in the wrong place.

I was clamped two weeks ago by equita.. for outstanding tickets that the previous owner owed.

3 weeks ago I had purchased the car.

dvla had not yet updated there records i guess and the log book arrived only a few days ago, dated the day i purchased the vehicle which is before the date of the clamping incident. i paid £550 as i was told that they would take my car and sell it in auction. the b******s would listen to anything i said just demanded the money im 9 months pregnant and was on my way to a maternity scan, ut they didnt give a damn about that either.

is there anyway i can get my money back??

Your first action is to send them a copy of the V5 with the date showing when you aquired the car and demand a total refund by recorded letter.

If they do not respond or do not come back with a cheque then your next letter should give them 10 days in which to refund and be headed 'Letter Before Action'.

is it likely they will refund me the money without very much hassle and probing??? as im 9 months pregnant and cant run around too much ... but am willing to try, just feel very angry that they took my money and could see i was pregnant and distressed.

is there anything else they will ask me to provide as i would like to send this in with the V5 to avoid prolonging the situation will they ask me for any other paperwork , insurance, tax mot, ...... i know i sound silly right? but you never with these hyenas.

If it was a private company then also make a complaint to the Police - this is theft.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Yes, I support lamma here - get in touch with the press - these cowboys really need to be shut down.

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

is there anything else they will ask me to provide as i would like to send this in with the V5 to avoid prolonging the situation will they ask me for any other paperwork , insurance, tax mot, ...... i know i sound silly right? but you never with these hyenas.

I hope you are not thinking of sending an original V5 document to them. Do not let this out of your posession.

They should require nothing other than this to prove you are the owner. In fact, if you had had a bill receipt for the car at the time of the clamping, that should already have been sufficient proof. Remember, the V5 only shows who the registered keeper is, NOT who owns the car (although they are often assumed to be the same).

Whether the car has a MOT or not, or whether it is insured is none of their business and they should return your money directly on receiving proof that the outstanding PCNs are nothingto do with you. I doubt they will be so swift to do so though and would follow the advice of lamma and TFT also.

thank you all, i will scan the V5 document and send it to them see what the vultures say, then i will let you all know what comes about ....wish me luck that was my pushchair money. :

I really think a criminal complaint should be made about this. If I buy a car and the previous owner has used it in a hit and run - I would not be prosecuted as it is not the car that has committed the offence. The same principle applies. The car itself did not park in breach of the parking terms; therefore, it is the person that was in control of the vehicle at the time that should be held to account (the legitimacy of PPC's is a whole other issue). As you were not the owner at the time you have had your money extorted from you - seriously get down the police station.

TFT

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

• 1 month later...

Ok. so an update is due.

I sent off the V5 scanned copy by email, called many times in the past 4 weeks to make sure they got it, but guess what?

Karen fowler is only working till 1pm

karen is away from her desk

karen is on holiday

karen karen karen

so finally today someone picks up and actually talks to me .......

well, she says we have recieved your v5 documentation, and because the date at the bottom of the v5 is the beginning of march (the date DVLA updated their records, even though it states that i became the new owner end of jan..... dvla did tell me it can take as long as 6 weeks to update there records)

anyway now she wants proof of payment in the form of my bank statement showing the money left my account and went to equita and

proof i was insured when i became the owner of the car, to prove i obtained the car in january.

Then she tells me IF your claim is SUCCESSFUL we will return the money to you........

SUCCESSFUL??????? F*** U !!! i thought. nearly £600 off a pregnant woman you sons of you know what.

sorry im really angry and actually against swearing.

ps sorry about bad grammer punctuation and spelling im feeding my 2 week old son.

Edited by nooni

they like to keep their ill gotten gains for as long as possible. A sort of 'loan'.

disgusting behaviour by them, the date of transfer of ownership on the V5 should be more than enough.

Insurance request is irrelevant In my view. there is NO requirement for that

(pat, you agree ?)

You have made a valid case and given them proof of the person 'appearing to be the owner' - that is ALL that is required.

I would tell them where to get off and issue the LBA, take them to court and get costs and interest on the money. and get the press ready to report it.

I take it this is TfL and so Capita doing the processing ? (Capita owns Equita - co-incidence NOT)

aparently they collected the money on behalf of barnet council for unpaid parking tickets. of aprox £120.00

but bumped it upto £600.

£480 is that really how much it costs to hire to over weight uneducated people in a van eating sausage rolls driving around, in and about london in a camera vehicle picking up registrations of cars with unpaid fines.

maybe i need to apply.

Edited by nooni

Don't Capita do the TV License enforcement as well?

TFT

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

wow - im so angry on your behalf. sorry i cant be any help i just wanted to offer my support.

i know you've prob got enough on your plate with a new babay but u should deffo get in touch with the press - its disgusting.

What a pack of merchant bankers. They have no grounds for clamping. As they clamped on behalf of Barnet then make a complaint to the chief exec at Barnet Council as well.

I would sue the richard craniums at Equita and name Barnet Council as co-defendents.

Make sure you get the press on the case. Watchdog are on their high horse about clamping so they may well be interested. Make them squirm.:-D

Just an after thought - make sure you claim interest from the day of the clamping. The interest awarded by the courts is 8% p.a.

Edited by pin1onu

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get on to the local TV company tomorrow without fail. Get them on this and you'll have your refund and a bunch of flowers to boot by dinner time I'll bet.

I would without question be suing the council and the clampers. this has obviously caused you great distress.

Just reading it made my blood boil. 9 months pregnant, on your way to hospital. What kind of low down **** from hell are they?????? Lucky you aren't my mrs, I would have put my car onto their desk - literally!

Insurance request is irrelevant In my view. there is NO requirement for that

(pat, you agree ?)

Absolutely. It is no business of theirs whether you have insured the car or not.

What would they expect you to do if you had bought and registered it, but somebody else (partner?) was the only driver?

I would tell them where to get off and issue the LBA, take them to court and get costs and interest on the money. and get the press ready to report it.

I take it this is TfL and so Capita doing the processing ? (Capita owns Equita - co-incidence NOT)

I also absolutely agree with this.

Don't play their games. Send a letter clearly marked as "Letter before Action" requiring that they repay the monies forthwith and that you have provided sufficient proof (ie acceptable to a Court) that you were neither owner nor RK when the original penalties were issued. Give them 14 days to act and then issue Court papers without further warning.