United Utilities recovering debt from the wrong person!

abjohnson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

Actually writing this on behalf of a colleague at work. She's not very internet literate and i said i would try and get some help through this site.

She has had a letter from 1st Credit, on behalf of United Utilities, claiming she owes them £905.81 from an address in 2004/2005. The problem with this is she moved out of that address in 2003, so whoever followed (or the person after that) has not told United Utilities and they are now claiming the money from someone who didn't live there at that time. She has phoned the council for proof through council tax she was not living there at that time and they have said the records from then are no longer held.

Apparently this case has already gone to court in October 2007 yet the letter received on Saturday 14th Feb 09 is the first she's ever heard of it, she phoned United Utilities in Early 2004 letting them know her change of address, and they therefore should have a record of that call/change of address. They are being shirty and saying they will only accept written confirmation from the council that she was living elsewhere. As i understand it she's spoken to United Utilities and they have quoted a CCJ number from October 2007, at which they said it was ordered she had to pay the money.

They've asked for payment of the debt in full by 27th March 09.

What options are open to her? Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J D Ward

Preston

Lancs

well she needs to stop talking on the phone for starters.

EVERYTHING must be in writing.

Does she have any proof via a bill or bank account that she was not living at the address in question 2004/2005.

If not could she ask for proof from her bank?

Also she needs to obtain info from the courts as to where and when the CCJ was granted. As witht he rite proof theis can be set aside.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I think she phoned when she got the letter out of sheer panic, not had any kind of debt trouble and really caught her out, especially as the money in question is nothing to do with her!

Thanks for the reply, she doesn't have any documentation from that far back, and the council don't have her council tax details for when she moved for some reason.

I asked her to speak to the bank as well, so glad i suggested something useful, she's been with them since before 2003 so they may have records of her addresses from back then and statements etc.

Thanks for the advice, will keep you informed.