• Tweets

• This is a ridiculous situation.  The lender has made so many stupid errors of judgement.  I refuse to bow down and willingly 'pay' for their mistakes.  I really want to put this behind me and move on.  I can't yet. 
    • Peter McCormack says he has secured a 15-year lease on the club's Bedford ground.View the full article
    • ae - i have no funds to appoint lawyers.   My point about most caggers getting lost is simply due to so many layers of legal issues that is bound to confuse.  
    • Lenders have a legal obligation to sell the property for the best price they can get. If they feel the offer is low they won't sell it, because it's likely the borrower will say the same.   Yes.  But every interested buyer was offering within a range - based on local market sales evidence.  Shelter site says a lender is not allowed to wait for the market to improve. Why serve a dilapidations notice? If it's in the terms of the lease to maintain the property to a good standard, then serve an S146 notice instead as it's a clear breach of the lease.   The dilapidations notice was a legal first step.  Freeholders have to give time to leaseholders to remedy.  Lender lawyers advised the property was going to be sold and the new buyer would undertake the work.  Their missive came shortly before contracts were given to buyer.  The buyer lawyer and freehold lawyers were then in contact.  The issue of dilapidations remedy was discussed..  But then lender reneged.  There was a few months where neither I nor freeholders were sure what was going on.  Then suddenly demolition works started.   Before one issues a s146 one has to issue a LBA.  That is eventually what happened. ...legal battle took 3y to resolve. Again, order them to revert it as they didn't have permission to do the works, or else serve an S146 notice for breach of the lease   A s146 was served.  It took 3y but the parties came to a settlement.   (They couldn't revert as they had ripped out irreplaceable historical features). The lease has already been extended once so they have no right to another extension. It seems pretty easy to just get the lawyer to say no and stick by those terms as the law is on your side there.  That's not the case   One can ask for another extension.  In this instance the freeholders eventually agreed with a proviso for the receiver not to serve another. You wouldn't vary a lease through a lease extension.  Correct.  But receiver lawyer was an idiot.   He made so many errors.  No idea why the receiver instructed him?  He used to work for lender lawyers. I belatedly discovered he was sacked for dishonesty and fined a huge sum by the sra  (though kept his licence).  He eventually joined another firm and the receiver bizarrely chose him to handle the extension.  Again he messed up - which is why the matter still hasn't been properly concluded.   In reality, its quite clear the lender/ receiver were just trying to overwhelm me (as trustee and leaseholder) with work (and costs) due to so many legal  issues.  Also they tried to twist things (as lawyers sometimes do).  They tried to create a situation where the freeholders would get a wasted costs order - the intent was to bankrupt the freeholders so they could grab the fh that way.   That didn't happen.  They are still trying though.  They owe the freeholders legal costs (s60) and are refusing to pay.  They are trying to get the freeholders to refer the matter to the tribunal - simply to incur more costs (the freeholders don't want and cant's afford to incur)  Enfranchisement isn't something that can be "voided", it's in the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 that leaseholders have the right to.... The property does not qualify under 67 Act.  Their notice was invalid and voided. B petition was struck out. So this is dealt with then.  That action was dealt with yes.   But they then issued a new claim out of a different random court - which I'm still dealing with alone.  This is where I have issues with my old lawyer. He failed to read important legal docs  (which I kept emailing and asking if he was dealing with) and  also didn't deal with something crucial I pointed out.  This lawyer had the lender in a corner and he did not act. Evidence shows lender and receiver strategy had been ....  Redact and scan said evidence up for others to look at?   I could.  But the evidence is clear cut.  Receiver email to lender and lender lawyer: "our strategy for many months  has been for ceo to get the property".  A lender is not allowed to influence the receivership.   They clearly were.  And the law firm were complicit.  The same firm representing the lender and the ceo in his personal capacity - conflict of interest?   I  also have evidence of the lender trying to pay a buyer to walk.  I was never supposed to know about this.  But I was given copies of messages from the receiver "I need to see you face to face, these things are best not put in writing".  No need to divulge all here.  But in hindsight it's clear the lender/ receiver tried - via 2 meetings - to get rid of this buyer (pay large £s) to clear the path for the ceo.   One thing I need to clarify - if a receiver tells a lender to do - or not to do - something should the lender comply? 
    • Why ask for advice if you think it's too complex for the forum members to understand? You'd be better engaging a lawyer. Make sure he has understood all the implications. Stick with his advice. If it doesn't conform to your preconceived opinion then pause and consider whether maybe he's right.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCA Advice? Debt Write-off?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone. I've just joined this forum and have been reading through all the posts on CCAs.

I've recently fallen into financial hardship due to redundancy and have taken a lesser job to make ends meet. Unfortunately I have a large credit card debt (about £20k) and I am no longer able to pay the monthly payments, but have been making token payments instead. It doesn't look like my job/financial situation will be changing any time in the near future.

Based on the recommendations of this forum, I've just sent off two letters based on the recommended template requesting CCA info to my credit card companies, MBNA and Abbey (now owned by MBNA), and am waiting for their response.

I guess my question is somewhat naive, but I can't seem to find a very clear answer (at least for me) on the forums: If MBNA and Abbey's terms are unenforceable, is it likely that they will write-off my debt if I request them to do so? This is my main concern, as I don't see my financial situation improving any time soon.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm very happy to have found this forum!

-George

If the creditors cannot produce a valid CCA, and you stop paying them, the debt still exists but are unenforcable, they can still contact you asking for payment, but cannot make you pay, if at a later date they produce a copy of the CCA if it exists, then the debt becomes enforcable again, if after 6 years in England or 5 years in Scotland of non payment the debt becomes time barred. If they do produce evidence of valid CCA and after you have it checked here, one option is to letter them informing them of your circumstances and agree to much smaller payments and get the interest stopped. This link should take you to the letter templates page.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/generel-debt-issues/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Many thanks. I'm waiting to hear back now and will go from there. Has anyone had luck in getting debt written off from MBNA or Abbey? Do they usually respond with valid CCAs to requests? I opened my accounts with them back in 2004.

Hi MBNA wrote off my credit card £5400 but only after I started court proceeding against them to have the agreement declared unenforceable they settled out of court.

It depends on how much screaming you can stand from them.

dpick

I own my house and pay a mortgage -- I do not rent. Even though I am making token payments to MBNA and Abbey while waiting for the CCAs (£10 each per month), is it possible that they could take me to court and force me to sell my home? Could they do it even though I am faithfully paying them my token payments every month? Sorry for my ignorance here.

I own my house and pay a mortgage -- I do not rent. Even though I am making token payments to MBNA and Abbey while waiting for the CCAs (£10 each per month), is it possible that they could take me to court and force me to sell my home? Could they do it even though I am faithfully paying them my token payments every month? Sorry for my ignorance here.

Credit card debts are unsecured loans so they CAN NOT make you sell your house.

Phew, that's a major relief! I didn't think that a bank holding an unsecured loan could force the sale of property, but after reading through various threads around the CAG website I wasn't so sure. It seems like there are instances where a bank can get a court order to make you sell your property or at least guarantee them a piece of the action when/if the property is sold in order to recover an unsecured debt. I've seen it described as a "charge against the home". Maybe I just got confused and muddled up the info I read.

I just got confirmation that my CCA letters were received by MBNA and Abbey today, so now I'm just waiting to hear back from them.

I want to reiterate what a relief it has been to find the CAG board and all the great info posted here.

-George

Edited by hobbes67

unsecured creditors can apply for ( and increasingly will get) a charging order if you fail to keep up payments on a ccj they have obtained,

This simply means that they can take their money at the time your house is sold before you get your hands on the proceeds (and after any secured creditors by way of 1st 2nd mortgage etc)

This action is also notified to your mortgagors so they will become aware of the debt.

only in extreme cases where you continue not to make some payment to the creditor could they apply for force the sale of the property

Although at this present moment in time interest rates are very low, under normal circumstances, once a ccj is in place and if the payments are low enough it can pay you after a year or so to make an offer in full and final settlement - the longer the period of payback under the ccj the more likely they are to accept a reduced settlement as it costs them each time you make a payment

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the MBNA and Abbey CCAs have not yet turned up, but there are still two days to go to make the 14-day mark.

However, after also sending them an offer of a reduced monthly payment, MBNA has written back to me stating:

1) They appreciate my situation and are willing to discuss a level of repayment that would be acceptable to them -- and that their reduced payment programme would be recorded on my credit file for the life of the account and 6 years afterwards.

2) I should phone their debt management team with details of income, expenditures and the names of all my other creditors including balances owed to them.

3) They also offer to discuss a reduced settlement to the account, and say they may be able to write off a significant portion of my balance.

Abbey has not written back to me. I am currently only in arrears with MBNA and Abbey.

Any advice on what I should do at this moment, while waiting for the CCAs? I know I shouldn't call MBNA, but should I send them my budget spreadsheet? I don't think I should include the names and balances of my other creditors -- that seems like too much info. I also have the feeling that they will not want to accept my £10 reduced-payment offer. I wish I could negotiate to pay off the balance if they will reduce it substantially, but I just don't have any money to do this right now!

Any advice would be great.

maybe you should put the same question to the general Debt Issues team. The advice there is good. Not that I'm saying yours on here isnt.

The general gist on that board appears to be if the CCA isnt responded to then you can issue them with a default notice as the contract is unenforceable until they send what you have asked for. They cannot chase payment during this time, or harass you. The general feeling there too is do not attempt at this stage to negotiate reduced payments. Doing so would imply that you acknowledge the debt is legally yours.

There is no such thing as a 0% credit card....... someone out there is paying for it, and for once its not going to be me.:razz:

if you have to offer a repayment there is an argument for making a really low offfer and lettting them get a ccj (or they may not bother and write it off)

the reason i say this is because a ccj payment is likely to be VERY low and at least you are clear in 6 years (wheras their way you will be credit hampered for the duration of paying back AND another 6 yrs)

the difference between a ccj and their black mark for defaulting and entering into an arrangment is non existent since both ways will effectively balcklist you

then again there is an argument for that not being a bad thing until you get your finances onto a good track anyway

just athought

Thanks for the advice, as always. As you suggest, I'll post this over on the General Debt Issues board and see what they have to say. Still have not received the CCAs from MBNA and Abbey and it's been 21 days since they received my requests.

my advice, if they actually produce the agreement and it is valid would be to write to them and tell them that you ahve been seeking debt counselling advice and you didn't like the fact the the companies doing this seem to want to add to your debt so you decided to do the work yourself the first part of which they told you was to ascertain if the debt was actually due, and then make an offer of reduced payments etc- that way you can avoid starting out on negotiations on the wrong foot with them

with regard to owning your own house- and if you have major debts- perhaps you have a family member who has helped you out with large debts in the past and you have not kept up the repayments to them- if so perhaps they might take a 2nd charge on your property to secure their debt- this in turn would have the fortunate, if purely conicidental effect of creating a buffer between your main mortgage provider and anyone else who might decide to place a charge since they would then become third charge

please note that in the case of charges against property the money is not shared equally in the event of foreclosure- the first second third charge etc get their full chare of the pickings until there is nothing left

In the event that a third charge tried to force sell your home then if for instance your mortgage company's charge was for 150,000 and your friends was for 40,000, then the third charge would only get a look in if there was anything left after these two had been paid (and who knows your friend may decide to re lend you the money afterwards to help you get back on your feet

i am not of course in any way suggesting that you have a friend who will just dream up a debt to claim against you!

however when in the Sh*t - make sure you play the same game as your c reditors

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

At this point, I have CCA'd MBNA and have received no reply (it's been over a month). If they sell the debt to a DCA, what happens then? Would I need to CCA the DCA, and would they then shift it back to MBNA? Or would MBNA no longer be responsible for the CCA, full stop? Does having your debt sold to a DCA destory your CCA trump card?

At this point, I have CCA'd MBNA and have received no reply (it's been over a month). If they sell the debt to a DCA, what happens then? Would I need to CCA the DCA, and would they then shift it back to MBNA? Or would MBNA no longer be responsible for the CCA, full stop? Does having your debt sold to a DCA destory your CCA trump card?

If MBNA sell the debt to a DCA, then you would request a CCA from DCA who would ask MBNA for copy of the original CCA, It would not destroy your CCA trump card.

Hi, I Owe £15k On A Cc With Mbna & I Got Made Redundant Back In July 2008 & I Am Still Unemployed & Since Then Have Not Paid Anything To Mbna After I Phoned Them & Told Them Of My Situation, They Have Contacted Me Every Month For An Update & In January Gave Me A Settlement Figure Of £4,000 & Woulf Write Off The £11k Which Sounded Great But Getting That Kind Of Money Would Be Difficult. Last Month They Asked Me To Pay £240 Which Funnily Enough Is Bang On My 4 X £60 Jsa Payments, They Said Paying This Would Keep My Arrears Being Passed Onto Debt Collectors So I Paid Them This Amount, Today They Called Me Again & Asked For Another £240 So That It Keeps The Arrears From Going Into Debt Collectors Hands & This Time I Tild Them I Did Not Have The Money & That They Should Do What They Have To Do Because I Am Potless, They Said They Are Sorry & The Debt Collectors Would Be In Touch With Me.

I Am Awaiting The Cca Which I Requested From Them About 8 Days Ago & This Is Where I Stand At The Moment, Can Anyone Advise Me On What I Should & Can Do Next ?

As I Am Now Getting Headaches Through Worry & Have Just Been Diagnosed With High Blood Pressure Possibly Through Worrying About My Increasing Debts & Lack Of Work !!!