• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you make a payment late, BH will charge you (currently) £2.70 per agreement per week.

These charges are unlawful penalties and you can claim them back just like bank or credit card charges and using the same method.

If you make a payment late, BH will charge you (currently) £2.70 per agreement per week.

These charges are unlawful penalties and you can claim them back just like bank or credit card charges and using the same method.

Actually, it's £3.00 per agreement now... 10% increase in January... (Nice to see BrightHouse doing their "bit" to kick start the economy, eh?) ;)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• 2 weeks later...

hi there if the late payment charges are unlawfull how do we claim them back??

im 4 weeks off completing my agreement and dont want them to forget about me if im no longer a customer!! great site as well!

You claim them back exactly as for bank charges - work out what they owe you, write and ask for it back. If they refuse, send them a LBA. If that doesn't do the trick, take them to court. They will pay up well before you actually get to court.

And as regards to your accounts completing their term, don't worry.

To be honest, from starting to claim your fees back, to actually receiving them, might take a long time, but worth the wait.

Besides, as with bank charges, you can ask to go back a full six years from the date you originally apply, and this even applies to accounts that are now closed.

PJ

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

• 5 months later...

yeah I just found out the late payment fee has gone up too...! ooops I was late, but they could have told us the fee was going up, I don't go in store so how was I supposed to know this?

I thought there was some rule/regulation that if terms and conditions changed all customers had to be notified in writing?! oh hum

• 5 months later...

Hi The_wife,

Sorry I'm coming in a little late here, but I thought I'd just clear this up.

The late charges went up in February 2009 (I forget the precise date, I have a feeling it was the 19th Feb, but don't quote me on that one) and BH would say that they did notify everyone as they printed it at the bottom of the reciepts in store for about a month before the change, and also had posters up in store.

I'm not sure of the legal standpoint as to informing everyone, but wanted to present the facts as I know them.

Kind regards,

Eagle Eyed

• 1 year later...
Hi The_wife,

Sorry I'm coming in a little late here, but I thought I'd just clear this up.

The late charges went up in February 2009 (I forget the precise date, I have a feeling it was the 19th Feb, but don't quote me on that one) and BH would say that they did notify everyone as they printed it at the bottom of the reciepts in store for about a month before the change, and also had posters up in store.

I'm not sure of the legal standpoint as to informing everyone, but wanted to present the facts as I know them.

Kind regards,

Eagle Eyed

I know this is an old thread, but as I understand it (having studied a BrightHouse contract at long length), BrightHouse must inform you IN WRITING of any changes to your agreement. Your agreement then states if you object to the changes, you have 30 days to inform BrightHouse (in writing). If you do decide to exercise this right, your ORIGINAL agreement terms will continue in force. (Just another of those little golden nuggets of information buried deep within the small print...) :)

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
You claim them back exactly as for bank charges - work out what they owe you, write and ask for it back. If they refuse, send them a LBA. If that doesn't do the trick, take them to court. They will pay up well before you actually get to court.

Hi

I just wanted to ask a quick question as was not aware I could claim back late charges andI am now finished my agreements with BH.

What letter should I send and what should it say, will i need to ask for agreements or something first to see how many late charges I had before i can claim?

Thanks for your help in advance

Hi,

You would need to send a Subject Access Request to know the score regarding payments made and any charges they have applied,

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

this one is a new one for me very interesting as it didn't work like that at the store i was with, my pay day in day was a Saturday if i missed that day i was charged for the Saturday Sunday and Monday if i didnt ring in by 9am on the Monday, i was charged for each agreement for each day i was late, and of course had to pay that week too. must look into this one thanks for that, also if you can help my friend has just started a on line petition against bright house we need 500 signatures so we can take it to downing street as im not computer wise i dont know how to post the link, but it is on my facebook im not sure if i can post my email address here so if anyone wants to sign it please private message me and i will give it to you so you can sign it.. thanks :-)

• 2 months later...

Great information I went in the store and asked about this they told me NO ...you signed an agreement ..I pay £12.00 every time Im late which at the moment is quite often as we self employed and the current climate is terrible.we barely scraping a living but yet brighthouse are constanltly sending me offers to get discounts ..WRONG WRONG WRONG !!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

payment is due on a sat and somtimes due to financial difficultes or not being able to get to a phone in time i always get charged £5.00 on top of paying roughly £9.00 for the tv i purchased and being told i had to take out their D L C insurance which was about £7.00 just for the 1 item per week im sure if added up with all the late payments ive paid over the months i would of paid for the tv twice over , im behind on a couple of payments due to loss of hours in work everyday i get a call on my phone and every week 2 or 3 times having them knock on my door im scared to think they will take the tv back after all the money ive payed me and my 2 children sit dreeding the the doorbell ringing incase its them any advice would be appreciated

ruth, helen

Start by reclaiming the charges - see link in my signature to my BH case for info. Look at Lefty's fact sheet about the insurance to see if you do something about that too.

Hi

I just wanted to ask a quick question as was not aware I could claim back late charges andI am now finished my agreements with BH.

What letter should I send and what should it say, will i need to ask for agreements or something first to see how many late charges I had before i can claim?

Thanks for your help in advance

hi just wanted to know how i could find out how many late payment charges ive been charged esp if ive not always paid by credit card thanku

You can send a subject access request under the data protection act. They have to supply all account details

i got a tv from bh total cash price was £999.13 payable for 156wks at £9.22 per week with an interest of £439.19 total amount in all £1438.32 for some reason ive been paying £16.32 wk an extra £7.10 when i questioned this i got told i had to pay the insurance as i didnt have house insurance after a good few mths of paying it every1 seem to think it was alot to pay and was wrong , i phoned up the store and they said it was insurance and i had to pay it in case of theift or fire damage as house ins doesnt always cover it they assured me it was right and i couldnt get out of this agreement , i carried on paying up until about 4wks ago whilst trying to look into what was legally right and wrong with sometimes money trouble i miss a couple of weeks but always catch up at the end of the month bringing bk to date even to the point that nearly every week from starting the agreement ive had to pay a late fee charge i seem to have recalled it being £5.00 i will have to look that up , bh said ive been charged £3.00 , after joining this site out of my wits with worry on what to do i decided to phone today and i spoke to the manager i explaind that on the agreement ive got it doesnt say anything else apart from the £9.22 i should be paying for the tv i tried to explain that and he said i had to bring the agreement instore and i was paying insurance of £2.70 and i might of taken out dlc cover i remember clearly i hadn't taken dlc out so all this time ive been paying well over the odds for the tv ,i asked the manager for a print out of all the payments ive made last 2yrs which i brought it roughly to total of£1749.28 thats without late payment charges nearly working out every wk , the manager said he couldnt print a copy of payment out as the system wouldnt let him because i wasnt up to date with the payments and if i made a payment there and then he would send me a copy , he tried his best to put me down and said if i didnt pay some1 would be round to collect the tv i said i wanted to look into this as so many people think the ins is wrong , i ask them to stop the phone calls which i constantly get day in day out and the constant knock at the door , he denied they have been harrasing me and said they had every right to visit as it was there goods not mine and wanted to know why ive took 2yrs to queerey it i did tell him i spoke to some1 after few mths and they said i had to pay it and finish the agreement he said i didnt stand a chance taking them to court as i wasnt intitled to any of this back no 1 has ever won a case on this please help as im so confused with it all i was thinking to go straight to cba in the morning to see what they had to say , if any1 could help me it would be appreciated so much thanku x

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

My ex, who is a pensioner, (BrightHouse perfect target,) has been paying both insurance & the maintenance thing.

She was of course told that the things she bought would not be repaired if they broke. It was not until I pointed out that she was RENTING the items until they were paid for, they were obliged to repair or replace with an equivalent item before the rental term expired that she understood what I was talking about.

Then of course there's the LPC. I reckon there's at least £1,500 in it.

She is reluctant because she thinks she can't win.

To be honest, I think it needs someone to NOT accept settlement so this really gets into the public domain.

All the cases so far have been settled out of court, no doubt with confidentiality clauses built in.

EDIT:

She has kept ALL receipts. :)

Hi Dave, Welcome to CAG

I got as far as filing in court with BH and they instructed a solicitor and aid they wee going to defend in fall, blah, blah. I stuck to my guns and they paid up without going to court. They always do because, the claim has to be huge before it ceases to be cost-effective to pay a barrister in stead!

Hi Steven.

I suspect the reason they said they would take it all the way was to try to intimidate you.

They caved when they realised you would.

I suspect my beloved isn't that strong but I can hope.

Interesting thought, why did they change the name from "Crazy George" to "BrightHouse"? Was it because someone didn't only not cave but didn't settle either?