• Tweets

• all DYL's are subject to a TRO. looking at this newish, ever increasing as old ind units have gotten removed, estate, there are only lines on one side, on the other there is a parking lane with traffic calming through which you mention. i seriously doubt your mate has any clue what he is talking about.!! its not a private housing assoc estate. so its a public council owned road. no construction co can just decide to draw their graffiti on a road. the DYLs are certainly there pre 2016 even before his home was built. now ive had a quick look to see if the main access to royal park road has signs. there is no royle park road even on your map but there is a royal barn road which leads to where you are parked royal road has a restriction sign on the pole by the fence of the electric substation jnc with gipsy lane there does not appear to be one leading in from the other end - tesco petrol station
    • Hi All. I was driving in Stevenage down a 40 road after coming off the motor way, i noticed my car felt a little "weird" i accelerated, then slowed the car down.  Shortly after i got stopped by a manned police car with a laser. During the stop the officer stated i was doing 54 in a 40, the conversation was short, but he said i would unlikely get a awareness course and it was most likely 3 points and a fine.  Mrs thought it was a good idea to have dairy when she is lactose intolerant on date night, we just got on our way.  At the time, i didnt admit to the offence, but did say i didnt realise and had slowed down in any case. The officers chest camera was recording and on. At the stop, he asked where to send the fine to, as i knew i would be travelling to visit family up north, i provided my temporary details at that location in Yorkshire. It is now 05/05 and i haven't received anything at either my home address in Stevenage or the temporary address. 1. Is there a time limit in which paperwork needs to be sent to me. 2. Should i query the ticket as i don't want to miss any deadlines (if so who do i check with?) OR should i keep quiet. 3. Given nothing has arrived in 20 days, is there a chance of appeal if and when it comes through? Many thanks CrazeUK
    • Hi All. A family friends car was having issues when she was on a trip visiting family up north at the begining of January.  She ended up leaving it at my friends garage in the same location, who parked it on his forecourt to investigate the issue, howver he said most likely it is beyond economical repair as its a serious gearbox fault. In the meantime i replaced her car with one of my spare cars. The insurance on the car then expired in at the end of January.  When the insurance expired, I sent a paper V890 paper as i didnt have her V5 Reference number in hand to do it online (i have a copy of this).  She didnt mention she hadnt recieved any confirmation as she didnt know if she would get one.  She then cancelled her road tax at the end of March (i think) as she was paying by DD. She then was travelling up north so didnt get her ,ail until last week. She recievd a letter dated 09/04/2024 stating she had failed to insure the vehcile and there was a £100 fine which could be reduced to £50 if she respons by 11/05/2024.  As soon as we noticed, i got her to dig  out the V5 and SORN'd the vehicle.   My friend has been a bit slow in checking the fault, however i suspect it will still be scrapped and is still on his forecourt. Is this possible to appeal?
    • worthy to not forget Just to let you know this bunch Kensington have been fined £1.225m by the financial regulator for treating borrowers who were in arrears unfairly. Claim those charges back plus the interest and tell them not to add any more to the account. There are a few news stories here you can get the info for a letter to send to them. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8615870.stm  
    • Hi All. I went to visit a family friend in Rochdale on a new housing estate opposite a old row of houses. The location is Royle Road, Postcode OL11 3PE. I was originally parked in parking bays outside the old houses, then moved the car, when I noticed my tyre was flat, so parked on what looked like double yellows to use his air pump to check and inflate the tyres before we left the house.   In the time i went inside to sort the pump and power supply i got a PCN.  The tyre then got changed (has a puncture) and we left. PCN Number:         RE######## Date:             04/05/2024 Time:             20:36 Observation:         20:34 to 20:36 Reported location:     Royle Park Road Reason:        Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours (Code: 01) I believe this PCN is not correct and has grounds to appeal: 1. My friend who moved into the property around 6 months ago, swears that even though it has old double yellows marked, they are not current or council marked.   He said the property development company had said they had marked them for ease of access during development. 2. The road i was parked on was Royle Road.  The PCN was issued for Royle Park Road, which is about 400 yards up the road. 3. There are no sign posts or marking showing parking  restriction hours in the entire area (there maybe on Royle park Road). I have attached a map of the Location where i parked as a red dot. I have 2 questions: a.  Is there a way to check where double yellow lines are marked on some register to check if they are current? b. Can my grounds of appeal simply be, wrong location, wrong offence? Thanks in advance. Map_20240505.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Complaints about the FOS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Didn't take to long for that question to be asked.

For the record no I did not used to work for the FOS. I just see the same posts over and over again complaining about the same issue. I thought it was about time that someone attempted to respond to this issue.

However, I am begining to wonder what is the point..

But dosent the fact that you've seen so many threads about the same thing, hint that there is a problem?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, you have said it yourself, the Court not the FOS

Insufficient evidence would be decided upon by the CPS not the IPCC !

What i said was, the court cannot decide to enforce an unenforcable or missing cca, it is restricted from doing so by law, the same law that the FOS should adhere to but dosent!

And yes it is the cps, but again its a point of law, and not decided upon by the court.

Consider these posts:

Hi

Because an agreement is unenforceable it does not mean that the agreement has not been made.

Enforceablilty of the agreement would only be an issue if the agreement was defaulted and one of the parties decided to enforce its terms regarding payment or compliance.

If the agreement is unenforceable because of a breach it does not mean that you can stop paying.

It means tht if you stop paying and the agreement is indeed unenforceable the creditor cannot recover the debt though the court.

But if the court does does decide to enforce (and in the case of a temporary failure to deliver a 77 request they will), then all cost interest and charges will be due for the period that payment was withheld.

It makes no difference that the creditor was not complying with the act in that period.

If you want to withold payment then you must be prepared to argue your case under section 127 and it is a good idea to be sure of your ground because if you loose and you have withheld payment,you will find that the whole agreement will be enforced that means everything due according to the agreement will be due.

Regards

Peter

and

If I can butt in.

If the agreement is not enforceable, it is just that - unenforceable. The debt still exists.

A F&F settlemnt means that the debt is satisfied and gone - a much better outcome IMHO.

What i said was, the court cannot decide to enforce an unenforcable or missing cca, it is restricted from doing so by law, the same law that the FOS should adhere to but dosent!

And yes it is the cps, but again its a point of law, and not decided upon by the court.

But the entire point is that the FOS is not a judicial, regulatory or an enforcement body. The FOS can't say what a Court can and can't do.

Enforceing an agreement as I understand it relates to the Creditor (either original or by assignement) applying for a Court Order to enforce the terms of an agreement.

Therefore, it is for a Court to decide if it will grant a Court order. A Court may be prevented (under s.127). However, this has to be something that is deemed in Court. Not by the FOS

Exposed: the banks’ cosy ties to watchdog

Exposed: the banks’ cosy ties to watchdog - Times Online

A WHISTLEBLOWER has exposed how Britain’s financial watchdog allowed banks to influence the bonuses and career prospects of its staff.

The Financial Services Authority (FSA), which presided over the banking collapse, gave financial institutions a formal role in determining the pay of the very regulators tasked with overseeing them. The disclosure unmasks the cosy relationships created when Gordon Brown swept away the Bank of England’s supervisory role in 1997, paving the way for the excesses of the credit boom to grow unchallenged.

Exposed: the banks’ cosy ties to watchdog

Exposed: the banks’ cosy ties to watchdog - Times Online

A WHISTLEBLOWER has exposed how Britain’s financial watchdog allowed banks to influence the bonuses and career prospects of its staff.

The Financial Services Authority (FSA), which presided over the banking collapse, gave financial institutions a formal role in determining the pay of the very regulators tasked with overseeing them. The disclosure unmasks the cosy relationships created when Gordon Brown swept away the Bank of England’s supervisory role in 1997, paving the way for the excesses of the credit boom to grow unchallenged.

This post further proves my point. The FOS is not the FSA. The FOS is also not the industry watchdog or the industry regulator !!

But the entire point is that the FOS is not a judicial, regulatory or an enforcement body. The FOS can't say what a Court can and can't do. I agree to some extent, but if law prevents courts from deciding something, then the FOS should follow that law, not decide weyher or not they want to!

Enforceing an agreement as I understand it relates to the Creditor (either original or by assignement) applying for a Court Order to enforce the terms of an agreement. Yes I agree, but if no agreement exist or it is not 'just so' then the court cannot make the order, and is up to the creditor to prove the cca is correct or exists.

Therefore, it is for a Court to decide if it will grant a Court order. A Court may be prevented (under s.127). However, this has to be something that is deemed in Court. Not by the FOS. It is the cases where s127 applies that I do refer to, and I talk about non existant or clearly unenforceable cca's.

I read a post, thought it was on this thread, but cant find it now, where the FOS made an award and ordered it paid towards a debt that was in dispute, due to non production of or some problem with a CCA, surely this is in breach of guidelines?

Incidentally, I was once offered a job as a FOS adjudicator. Didn't take it though.

This said, I do know a good whack about ADR and have worked in the field for a fair few years now, for a couple of adr services. What S is saying is right. You can not like it, but it is right.

It is true that the FOS cannot rule on points of law. Indeed, it is current thinking in ADR that any service should not rule on a point where there is any legal debate. This is the job of the courts. It is also true that adr is not suitable for every claim. Some don't deal with commercial claims, others have certain process restrictions.

The courts decide cases on the basis of the law, ADR looks at what it thinks is right and the law is only one consideration. If you have admitted a debt is yours, but are arguing that it is unenforceable due to non compliance with something (a DN for eg) then I doubt you will get anywhere with FOS. Maybe if your adjudicator is really crap you might, but they will probably just look at it and say that the debt is yours, therefore you are liable. The agreement might not be enforceable in court but the FOS is not a court. Therefore the argument is irrelevant from the point of view of FOS.

Best way to look at is that the FOS is like a bus - it is great if you want to go to where the bus stop is, ok if you are going in the general direction but fairly rubbish if you live in the middle of a moor; it is generally ok for many folk, but not all.

I do however agree that generally the competence of your adr service is dependent on the quality of your adjudicator. FOS have so many adjudicators and the starting salary is fairly low so miy instinct is that there might be some issues.

This post further proves my point. The FOS is not the FSA. The FOS is also not the industry watchdog or the industry regulator !!

My post is not aimed at you. I have no interest whatsoever in your inane ramblings. The post was made to show that if the regulator cannot be trusted why should the adjudicator.

Therefore, it is for a Court to decide if it will grant a Court order. A Court may be prevented (under s.127). However, this has to be something that is deemed in Court. Not by the FOS

I understand where Suetonius is coming from 'in part'. Trying to let folks know that the FOS are not our champion, a police body or that they can protect us from the DCA ****. Certainly, some have thought, that the FOS are akin to the CAB in that they will defend our rights and stand up for us etc. Which isn't their role.

My problem is where the FOS tell you they are impartial and do not take sides. Then, they go and do the opposite, defending that stance as the most 'probably' course of events that took place in relation to your complaint despite when evidence to the contrary is presented to them.

They ignore factual evidence in favour of taking the word of the financial institution and for the FOS to contradict already existing case Law and the Consumer Credit Act is inappropriate to say the least. I ask for impartiality and consistency from the FOS. That's all.

From my experience and that of others, those qualities are not what we receive. The FOS decide what is and isn't enforceable. The FOS pronounce Judgement as if they are the Courts. This is surely not the actions of a neutral dispute resolution body who does 'not take sides'.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

The courts decide cases on the basis of the law, ADR looks at what it thinks is right and the law is only one consideration.

So are you then saying that if the FOS thinks that the law is not right it can go against it?

The irony is, when you're in debt you're broke.

You don't have money for a solicitor.

You don't have money to go to court with.

Very often you struggle to find the money to pay for recorded delivery post, which is the only (and not very reliable) proof that you've written to 'companies' that are a) Loaded b) Ignorant and c) Criminal.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

The irony is, when you're in debt you're broke.

You don't have money for a solicitor.

You don't have money to go to court with.

Very often you struggle to find the money to pay for recorded delivery post, which is the only (and not very reliable) proof that you've written to 'companies' that are a) Loaded b) Ignorant and c) Criminal.

I agree, and if you cant/dont trust the FOS when you have a problem, what else can you do?

I agree, and if you cant/dont trust the FOS when you have a problem, what else can you do?

Take the bank/financial institution to court.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Sort of...but I think it is a little more complex than that.

They should consider the law, but in the case of unenforceable agreements I guess that their thought process would work like this:

The debt exists, the consumer has admitted this.

The agreement is unenforceable in court

We are not being asked by the creditor to enforce the agreement

We are being asked for a declaration that the agreement is unenforceable

We are not a court so cannot enforce the agreement and cannot therefore comment on enforceability. This would be outside of our remit.

They can then go and consider any claims for harassment or similar, but cannot get involved in technical legal questions as it is not relevant to their consideration of the case.

If the complaint centres around interpretation or application of the law, then it should be considered by a court. Not FOS.

This is only a guess, mind.

It is my understanding, however, that the FOS is about as popular with the banking industry as it is here. Banks and similar have invested a fair amount trying to curtail and restrict them and have failed. The FOS service has been judicially reviewed and sued a number of times and always has come out ok. On balance I feel that the biggest problem is a lack of understanding of what it actually does and how it does it.

I understand where Suetonius is coming from 'in part'. Trying to let folks know that the FOS are not our champion, a police body or that they can protect us from the DCA ****. Certainly, some have thought, that the FOS are akin to the CAB in that they will defend our rights and stand up for us etc. Which isn't their role.

Thank you, I know I am not the best with words or explaining what I am trying to say.

In relation to section 77 / 78 it may be worth having a read of the Rankine case, where the argument was decided upon by a Judge.

How interesting that you quote the Rankine case, just as many Banks do.

That judgment was flawed and many barristers agree as such.

AC

But dosent the fact that you've seen so many threads about the same thing, hint that there is a problem?

Totally agree, but I feel that alot of it is based on the fact that the role of the FOS is misunderstood. That is why I thought it would be helpful to try and correct any misunderstandings.

My post is not aimed at you. I have no interest whatsoever in your inane ramblings. The post was made to show that if the regulator cannot be trusted why should the adjudicator.

The Adjudicator is not an employee of the FSA and is not paid by the FSA.

I read a post, thought it was on this thread, but cant find it now, where the FOS made an award and ordered it paid towards a debt that was in dispute, due to non production of or some problem with a CCA, surely this is in breach of guidelines?

Non production of an agreement under section 77 / 78 would only in theory preclude enforcement (seeking an order from the court for enforcement) paying a sum to a debt which even if unenforceable still exists would not be enforcement.

The FOS and FSA are part of the same corrupt, diseased, bureaucracy infesting this country to the point of saturation. Headed by corrupt and immoral politicians who are part of the greed obsessed system that's sole goal is to keep the ordinary people under thumb and to try to make them powerless against the malignant and indifferent state we call government. :rolleyes:

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

But with what YB? If you have no money?

Court is not always the route to take though, if you have an issue with the way the bank has handled your complaint, not necessarily the outcome, for example.

suetonius, I do understand where you are coming from, yes people do often misunderstand there role, and this does lead to disgruntled posts, but I do think the points starting to come across now, to me anyway, is the fact that the financial instituions are held with much higher regard than the consumer, which is so evident by the fact that they believe what they are told by the banks even when there is clear evidence to the contrary.

How interesting that you quote the Rankine case, just as many Banks do.

That judgment was flawed and many barristers agree as such.

AC

It may very well be flawed, but it is a judgement never the less, made by a Judge in Court.

The Judge in Court was the point I was making.