Calder Financial Address Doubt

MrMT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I have just returned from the Post Office in order to send a CCA Request to Calder Financial. It went recorded first class but the operator had trouble locating the address given, telling me that Calder does not appear under that postcode or PO box number, though other companies do.

The letter I have from Calder gives their address as...

PO BOX 55

Liverpool, L32 8XX

Can anyone confirm this is the correct address?

Ah, I didn't read the smallprint. It appears they are Mercers Debt Collections Ltd trading as Calder Financial. Registered Number 2550639

Does that mean I'm wasting my time sending the CCA and postal order to the above address?

Useful place to look is the Royal Mail website, where you can trace a postcode back to the 'owner' - http://postcode.royalmail.com/portal/rm/addressfinder;jsessionid=0OKYPUQS4GSVQFB2IGIURWQ?catId=400145&pageId=pcaf_a_search&gear=postcode

However, L32 8XX tells me "Unfortunately we could not find this postcode. Please check it. If the postcode is correct but we still can’t find it, please read the help below to find out what to do."

This implies that they are giving out duff information - however, looking a bit deeper I found this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/116141-mercers-collection-agency.html#post1161669

with L32 8UY coming back on the Royal Mail website as

Barclaycard

Kirkby

LIVERPOOL

L32 8UY

Send your CCA request to Mercers at that address, you can't help it if they play silly beggars and change company names more often than their socks. You've done what you need to, if they can't sort themselves out it's tough - you will have proof of them receiving the request, and just follow the format from there.

• Haha 1

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Today I checked the Royal Mail tracker to see if my letter has been delivered and it hasn't - it's been over a week. The address I put on the envelope included "PO BOX 55" but on closer inspection my Post Office receipt has "PO BOX 5" recorded and "Address Validated? NO" so it looks like they haven't got it. I assume the PO will open my letter to find my address and return it to me? But what should I do at this point?

Today I checked the Royal Mail tracker to see if my letter has been delivered and it hasn't - it's been over a week. The address I put on the envelope included "PO BOX 55" but on closer inspection my Post Office receipt has "PO BOX 5" recorded and "Address Validated? NO" so it looks like they haven't got it. I assume the PO will open my letter to find my address and return it to me? But what should I do at this point?

You should always check the receipt when it's handed to you, if the address is not validated then you need to know why, while you are there. In this case the post office clerk typed in the wrong number.

That does not mean the letter would be sent to PO Box 5, it would be delivered the the address shown on the envelope of course, which would be correct. :D

The tracker system is OK at times, but I've found it can be a week after delivery before the details appear - it's not a foolproof system. PO Boxes in particular, as they sign for items in bulk.

Many years ago, I used to send out a lot of packages and would use recorded delivery with advice of delivery, which was a seperate card you had to fill in and pay extra for. This was sent to the delivery office dealing with the final step, to the address on the package. The delivering postman had to sign the card to say delivery had been made, this was then returned in the post to me. Pity they don't do it any more...

Added: Recorded delivery requires that the return address is shown on the back of the enevelope - they shouldn't need to open it to return, if undelivered...?

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

No, I didn't put my (return) address on the envelope. I'll get down the PO on Monday is there hasn't been a further development by then. So I'm thinking it might be prudent to resend, but this time to the Reg'D office (given in the footer)?

I would say you've done what was needed, apart from not having your address on the back of the envelope! The post office clerk is supposed to check this as it's a requirement of the service. They used to provide a sticker to write on.

You could write to:

MERCERS DEBT COLLECTIONS LIMITED

CITYPOINT

ONE ROPEMAKER STREET

LONDON

EC2Y 9SS

and point out that you sent the recorded delivery letter to the Liverpool address. Calder Financial do not exist as such, it's a 'trading name' of Mercers. Send them a copy of the request and a photocopy of the post office receipt(s)

Personally, I would wait for the 12+2 days to elapse then send them this one: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/172071-letter-co-solicitors.html#post1856406

If they then want to dispute having had the CCA request they can do so, you would still have proof you sent this. The PO Box bit is spurious as Barclaycard are regsitered to that postcode. It is quite possible that the box number does not really exist and it's just part of their internal routing when letters arrive - anything marked Box 55 goes to a certain desk...

Thanks for that explanation. I've used that PO clerk twice and both times he seemed to have problems finding addresses on his system so when it happened a second time (the first got it's destination) I didn't think any more of it. I shall be more careful & throrough next time.

I do feel, as you say, it's not my problem if they want to play silly buggers with multiple addresses so I'll hold back contacting Mercers, London at this point.

Sorry to confuse matters but after Calders initial letter, phone call and follow up postcard, I've not had them contact me or chase the debt for several months now. I only sent the CCA in expectation they would be following it up soon so I don't think the dispute letter (in that form) is appropriate (yet).

...I don't think the dispute letter (in that form) is appropriate (yet).

If they are still dealing with the account they should have responded to the CCA request by now, it's more to protect you from further action that the follow up letter should be used as it tells them to stop processing your data and that they are not allowed to pass the account to another company.

Had they not been dealing with it, I would have expected them to respond by saying so, and returning the payment. Either way, they lose out now as they've failed to take either course of action. You have to be firm with them, and show that you're not the one making empty threats.

It is possible, if it's been months since their last attempt to conatct you, that the accoun t has been sold on already, and you may hear from anotehr DCA at some point. There's another nice response waiting for whoever that may be, usually referred to as the 'bemused' letter. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/175840-halifax-problem.html#post1900426

If they are still dealing with the account they should have responded to the CCA request by now

As stated above, the recorded delivery tracking says my CCA request has not been delivered yet. It was sent on 2nd Jan so I'll see what the PO say on Monday.

True, I'm thinking you did a CCA months ago and it was that possibility I referred to. Oh well, only another week or so before they go over the time limit. I tend to allow them 12+2 working days, some people say it's actualy days, including bank holidays etc.

You're right, I do have another "case" but didn't want to confuse the two. It's quite a long story but umpteen years ago, while I was a "relatively" high earner, I got both a Visa and Mastercard but when work (contracting) dried up, I overspent and in my next job didn't repay it all, just minimum required. Then I became disabled and stupidly didn't claim benefits until I'd spent all my savings. Regarding both CC debts, BC agreed to stop interest and accept token payments of £7 and £10 p.m. Occasionally over the years, I'll miss one month, get a warning letter, call them up and resume where we left off. However, my situation is not getting better and probably due to depression, I didn't bother calling them when I missed the August payment last year. This is how it all started.

Calders were very polite and agreeable on the phone, making offers of F&F for about 3/4 the total of Mastercard debt etc. But when RMA got involved (for the Visa card debt) it was a different story, they caught me at a bad time and refused my request to call later, kept redialling and talking over me to the point I lost it, screamed obscenities and slammed the phone down, ignoring all calls immediately after. That was when I decided I won't play ball and after reading the information on this site, think it's the best move I've made for a long, long time.

I don't know but I would guess that I've paid off all the money I borrowed including a fair bit of the interest with the remaining claimed "balance owing" probably made of pure interest charges of interest charges, if you get what I mean.

Either they take me to court (which I suspect they won't or if they do, won't win) or I'll get the debts statute barred - I'm not paying a penny more to support such a despicable, greedy industry. In my spite, I actually wish the government let the banks go down the drain like every other business in trouble, instead of giving them taxpayers money (and then borrowing gross amounts more to give them) of which should be going to other good causes like education, health etc.

Sorry for the rant.

Don't feel guilty we all rant sometimes.....!!

It could be the case that BC actually owe you more than you owe them (excessive charges) so you can claim back for the last 6 years

How did you get on with the CCA requests ?

Did somebody ignore your CCA request and pass it on to RMA ?

I did read some info about reclaiming charges and it will be wonderful if BC owe me, truly it would. (Sorry if misled you and said these are six year old debts, I think I've had these debts since before 2004?) I just can't recall having any charges applied other than the declared interest. I do know that the month I went cap-in-hand asking the interest be stopped, they quickly sent me a last bill with interest (which, according to our token payment agreement rate, they knew would take me several years just to pay that month's interest charge off)

On learning I could CCA them, I bought two Postal Orders, one for RMA and one for Calders (or one for each debt). But Calders didn't continue, (just sent one letter, made one phone call then one postcard) and I've not heard from them for months. RMA were more tenacious and were calling daily at first, so I sent my CCA request to them (which defaulted around 19thDec) and I decided I'd wait for another Calder letter before sending them a CCA request. But they haven't sent anything since so not wanting to waste my £1 PO I decided to send Calders a CCA last week (posted 2nd Jan) and this thread explains what's happened since.

In my other thread where I deal with RMA etc, you'll see the day I sent them the CCA request, I got a letter from NCO for the same debt, then one from Westminsters Solicitors, then SC Leatham, NCO, SC Leatham, NCO ad infinitum. I took advise and sent NCO the in-dispute letter.

The next time NCO called, I asked if they'd got my letter and they denied having it. The last time they called I asked if they got my letter and initially denied they had it until I told them it was signed for, then he agreed they did have it and apologised before hanging up :lol:

Hi MrMT,

I have an answer from the horse's mouth, Calders, and confirmed twice.

Barclaycard/Mercers/Calders are all the same as you know.

I originally CCAd Barclaycard in early November but got in return just their current terms and conditions. Wrote back to the person who had sent them saying didn't want those, wanted original signed agreement..... and sent £1 - wasn't on this site then and didn't know I had to, and in phone conversations they didn't ask, just said the copy agreement was on the way. My letter was sent at the end of December. Calders called this week, and I said I was waiting for the copy agreement, and they asked where I had sent the request. I replied that it was PO Box 5592, Northampton NN4 something, and was told I had sent it to the wrong address - any requests for original CCAs "have to go to: LRC, Data Protection Team, 1234 Pavilion Drive, Northampton NN4 7SG. When I said that surely that as they were both Barclays addresses in NN$ they would be passed to the right department I was told this may not happen, and I had to cancel the cheque and write again to the "right address".

Then when I spoke to Calders the following day they admitted they had the note that I had spoken the night before and confirmed the address again.

I think they are just delaying things. On Tuesday, they took what they said I could afford from disposable income from my bank account, also Barclays. What disposable income? I have to pay the mortgage first (also Barclays), and they took the money on the day my Child Allowance came in. I am reporting them to OFT and FOS on Monday unless they give it back.

DD

Thanks for that info DD, I do have their head/registered office address but I don't understand why they're publishing an address that can't be delivered to.

Update after going to the Post Office - all they seem interested in is advising I wait until 14 days have passed then making a claim.

Doesn't help my letter :mad: but I'm in no rush, Calders haven't been giving me hassle like RMA/NCO/Westminsters/SCLeatham so I'm happy to wait until I've reclaimed my £1 postal order :)

Well, if stuff goes to the wrong address, they can deny getting it, ask you to re-send, like me, and delay things as much as they can.

It's not in their interests to come to the stage where they have to admit they don't actually have an enforceable agreement.

Go to the recent postings on "Why you shouldn't use Section 77/78 if you want the signed agreement." and you will see that Barclaycard seems to be having problems coming up with the agreements, so if they know they haven't got the right agreements they are really going to be piling the pressure on.

• 2 weeks later...