• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

allied international credit

karens25
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone. New member as from today. I have today had three calls from Allied international , one at home and two to my work, even threatening my employer,regarding a Mint account that I did not even know had been bought by them. After the calls I was very disturbed by the way I was spoken to, like a piece of dirt. The threats were not from civilised people!Then after a time I was so angry i wish I could meet them face to face. But after reading all your comments I have written to them reqesting a copy of their agreement. I would never have thought about it and would probably have taken it for granted that I owed them money. I have offered them £50 per month but they want it all(£1200) immidiately. I am more relaxed now and will prepare myself for the next move. I want to pay my debt but in a civilised and legal way so lets hope that I can. Will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I'd found this group sooner!

I have just paid AIC £350 as full & final payment of a debt of my husbands from NatWest bank. The money is disputed with the bank but I am so sick of dealing with it I just wanted it over and done with. And £350 was a good deal better than the £700+ that is allegedly owed. However, when I asked that AIC confirm the debt was settled in writing (and after I had given my card details) they put the phone down on me. I certainly hope this was one of the calls they have recorded.

Today we have received a 'final notice of intent' from AIC stating that we still owe £298.05 and must pay immediatley to avoid further action. Are they taking the mickey??

Any suggestions as to what I do next?

Hi scarlettina and welcome to CAG

Firstly, it would be best if youi started your own thread (click on newthread.gif at the bottom of the forum) so your cvase doesn't get confused with the others on this thread.

I would start by writing to AIC and point out that you agreed a final settlement of £350 over the phone on date and that they have therefore obvioulsy made a mistake by sending this final notice. They may have recorded the call but it will be difficult to prove it and proabably impossible to get a copy. It will have got 'lost'

Separately, send AIC a request for a copy of the exectuted agreement for the account under s77(1)/78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Remind them that they have 12 days in which to comply. Do not sign the letter - print your name. Let's see what that brings.

Keep on with the claim against NatWest (you may have to wait until the test case is over but don't give it up and youwill get the money back eventually).

Finally, in future do not deal with any financial institution over the phone - insist that eveything is in writing only.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, definltly my last post of this thread. Im just about to send this letter off, can you let me know what you think:

Re: Harassment by telephone

CC: (1) to sender; (2) to senders acquaintance

AIC Case No: xxxxxxx

Client Reference Number: xxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

You are also continuing to attempt to make contact with myself on an elderly family members telephone landline. This member of my family is registered disabled and very fragile. If you continue to use harassment a formal criminal complaint will be made to the Police.

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Please ensure that you’re future conduct is in accordance with the terms of you’re Consumer Credit License.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be logged and recorded.

Hi I Am New To This Site But Its A Great Help. My Husband Had A Style Financial Card Whcih They Closed When He Was Made Redudnent 3 Years Ago. Since Then We Have Not Heard From Style Until Last Week When We Got A Letter From Allied International. I Telephoned Them But They Wouldnt Speak To Me. I Deal With All Hosuehold Bills Etc. Anyway Since Readding Your Suggestions My Husband Wrote Letter To Them Asking For Acc Enclsoed 1 Pound And Put Authorisation For Me To Deal With On His Behalf. Since Then Style Have Sent Us A Letter Saying Debt Passed To Ai. The Debt Is For Over 1000 But When They Clsoed Ac 3 Years Ago Balance Was 600. Ai Have Said That I Have To Write To Style Sending Cheque For 10 Pounds They Do Not Send Aac.and Dont Have That Info. They Have Aslo Said That They Did Not Buy The Debt. What Is Exactly The Aac And Are They Supposed To Have It Or Is It Correct That I Have To Send £10 To Style. Dont Really Know What To Do About Them As They Phone 6/7 Times Per Day. Help Please

Hi slta

Welcome to CAG. Firstly, it would be better to start your own thread so that we can advise you properly. Click on the newthread.gif button on the forum.

What did your husband ask for when he wrote to AI? Did he ask for a copy of the executed agreement? I'm sorry, but if AI are chasing the debt, then they have the responsibility by law to send you a copy of the agreement - either because they have a copy or, if not, they must get it from the original lender - Style, in this case.

I think you should write back and remind them of their obligations, something like

Dear Sirs

RE: ACCOUNT XXXXXXXXX

My hsuband wrote to you on date requesting a copy of the executd agreement for the above account under s78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. You have so far failed to comply. May I remind you that the statutory period for you to reply is 12 days. If you do not comply within that period the account becomes unenforceable until you do comply. If you do not comply within one calendar month folowing the end of the statutory period, you commit a summary offence under the Act.

May I also remind you that, the account being unenforceable, you may not request payment, you may not add charges or interest and you may not communicate any data concerning this account to any third party, incluing but not limited to credit reference agencies. It also means that any phone calls demanding payment constitute harassment.

I only expect to hear from you again in two circumstances:

1) to provide a copy of the executed agreement under s78(1) as requested

2) to inform me that this is the end of the matter and that I will not hear from you again.

I also give warning that I will not tolerate harassment but will report any further communications to the relevant authorities, possibly the police.

If you do not understand any part of this letter you should consult a qualified solicitor.

See what that does.

hi stephen thank you for your help i will send of tomorrow to them and get my husband to sign letter. its great that there is somewhere where we can get advice as ai are bullies and if you dont know the rules you just have to take it, thank you again will be in touch shx

Hi i'm also new to this forum, I came in from work today to receive a call asking for my brother-in-law from AIC, when I informed that he's not lived at this property since 1995 and that they shouldn't be ringing here and when I asked what was it about they said it was re a legal matter, I then informed that he should not be giving out my address and telephone, she then went on to ask if I had any addresses for him, I kindly informed her that I don't really have any contact with him and I don't have any details of where he lives, I asked her to remove this address and contact number immediately and she replied that she could not do this, I asked again what it was about having a feeling it would be to do with money and she refused to say I then went on to inform her that if it's to do with a debt then he shouldn't have been given it in the first place against this address as he's not registered on the electoral register and it was against the law to do that, she then said that if I was able to get in touch with him tell him to contact them.

Is there anything I can do? I'm worried now that he's got some debt against my property That me and husband own out right and will effect us in the future. Please help

Hi chloe and welcome to CAG

PLease start a new thread as I advised slta - everything gets so confused if there are several 'cases' on one thread.

I think you need to write to AIC and tell them that your brother doesn't live at that address, that you don't know where he lives, etc - in fact, all the things you told them on the phone -put it in writing. Also tell them that they must not phone again. POint out that contacting people who are not the debtor is contrary to the OFT Guidelilnes on Debt Collection and that, if they phone you again now that you have told them your brother is not at that address, you will report them to the relevant authorities for harassment and may even call in the police. At the end write, "if you do not understand any part of this letter you should contact a qualified solicitor"

Finally, note down the date and details of the call. If they phone again, note the call and try and get the name of the person calling. Similarly, should they send any letters- note them. You may have to end up taking them to court and so you need all the evidence.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi people,

I have only just heard of these as they have tried to get money of me,

I told them that i am not paying nothing at this time as i am waiting to see what is happening bewteen the banks and courts over the charges,

He then came back and said that what you have to do is pay the sum you owe and then you make a claim back from them, so i said why should i pay them the full sum when it's all charges that they have put on the bill you are trying to take back, he talked a lot more rubbish and i stopped him and said ok lets do this proper,

i told him i cant do anything at the moment as i was not at home as i was on my honeymoon and if he phoned my phone and leave hisworks address i would send him a request for the CCA with a cheque of a pound,

He then said we do not have to have the signed agreement of your debt,

I replied ok so you have not got the signed agreemnet then i will not be dealing with you anymore as you do not have the right to this debt.

He then tried again to say that they do not need this,

So i just said ok i will report this to trading standards or the ombusman, he then said ok sir i will send the company address to your mobile today and that was 3 days ago and still not heard from them, i will keep you up-dated about this?

Hi h1tm4n32

You need to put all this ona formal footing with these clowns. When you can, send them the CCA request and send an SAR too to the original creditor. If there are charges, you can claim them back irrespective of what is happeneing between the banks and OFT as that almost certainly doesn't apply to your case.

Hi h1tm4n32

You need to put all this ona formal footing with these clowns. When you can, send them the CCA request and send an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) too to the original creditor. If there are charges, you can claim them back irrespective of what is happeneing between the banks and OFT as that almost certainly doesn't apply to your case.

Allied International Credit called me again twice yesterday, my son answered and told them I was not at home. I darent answer the phone at all!

• 2 months later...

hi new to the forum, am soooo glad to hear i am not the only person taking this c**p from the company... they demanded an immediate payment of 1973.73 straight away or 3 payments of 657.somethingafter demanding that i "borrow the money from a relative or someone at work or that i take out a loan to pay this off" i put the phone downi have since read some of the posts so know i have to ask for a copy of cca etc.i little white lied to them and said i had written a complaint to there head office in glasgow as well as to the directors office in canada to which the 4th person told me that they were a UK only company. Each time they call they ask for my address etc although i only have a care of address whch i gave to them on the first phone call, however they were willing to discuss everything to my grandmother without A) my permission B) after telling them that i am only contactable via mobile phone and c) how can they talk to her when she does not know any of my details......anyway im digressing a bit now i only earn just over 700 a month and so obviously 657 is a major major whack of money but i did a lil digging of my own on allied (con) international and discovered some interesting facts (all facts are directly copied from finance analyst)About Allied International CreditAllied International Credit is a Canadian owned company, established in 1955, with offices based in Canada, USA and the UK. The main objectives of AIC are to perform the services of Primary Collection, Outsourcing, Accounts Receivable Management and Tracing and Status Investigation. We believe in reward for performance and employees are awarded for their success.REMEMBER BOYS AND GIRLS THEY A UK ONLY COMPANYTHIS IS TO APPLY FOR A CONMANS JOB... SORRY A JOB WITH AICWHAT SKILLS DO I NEED?The successful candidate will have strong proven experience in bookkeeping and preparing monthly management accounts and have great attention to detail. To succeed in this role, you will have the ability to work to deadlines and have high level of self-initiative and ability to resolve problems. You must be proficient in the use of MS Office including Excel and Word.WHAT WILL WE OFFER YOU IN RETURN?A professional working environment A family based culture – we genuinely care about our staff A career not just a job xcellent training to develop collection and life skills – we will bring out the best in you! mpressive incentives and rewards to keep you motivated – Nintendo Wii, Team Building Activities, Well-being and all expenses paid trips abroad!O THINK I MAY APPLY JUST FOR A ALL EXPENSES PAID HOLIDAY FOR MEETING MY SALES TARGET (WOULD GO FOR A WII BUT NOT TOO KEEN ON NINTENDO LOL)

Have just found this forum after doing a search on AIC and am thankful to have found this forum.

I am interested to know if there is anyone out there that AIC have sent payment requests to an address that they have never been registered at.

• Can they do this?
  • Are they in breach of any rules?

A relative has been sent letters addressed to me at their address, I have never lived there or been registered as living there and have no idea why the would try to contact me at that address. To say the least this relative is not happy and this has caused a rift in the relationship.

Any ideas what can be done?

I have tried to contact AIC as requested however as I now live overseas it is very difficult to correspond with them. I have made 4 phone calls today and everytime the person I need to speak to is not there and I have been told that I must speak to him. I have only left one message so far however. Also the relative has been told that all correspondence must be by telephone, and email is not an option. Are they trying to avoid a paper trail? And how are you supposed to correspond by phone when the bloke is never there?

I am very stressed and frustrated about the whole saga.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They did the same to me at my elderly Grandmothers. I threatened to report them to the Police under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 (as I was recieving several phonecalls a week) and the account was immediately handed back to the original debtor. If you can, get your relative to write them a nasty letter.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there., found this site and wanted some advice - I spoke to these people yesterday on the phone for a debt amounting to £4,000 - This had built up through a credit card i had when circumstances were different/....i offered monthly payments at an amount i could afford - was told only full payment would be taken - asked could i sell anything - did i have a car - could i get a loan - and then told because i couldnt pay the matter would be referred????? Can anyone give me any advice? i can only offer monthly payments - surely that is better than nothing - i really dont know where to go with this -

Hi Jackey

Welcome to CAG.

The first thing to do is to find out all about what you owe, etc. Do you have all your statements? If not, send a SAR. It will cost £10 but you will probably find there are quite a few unlawful charges on there that you can reclaim. They have 40 days to comply.

You should also send a request for you crediut agreement (see Letter N). that will copst £1 and they have 12 days to comply.

They are being very unreasonable in not letter you pay what you can afford - these letters will force them (eventuallty) to supply information that you may be able to use to make them behave more reasonably.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks