Halifax - Old Mortgage Account - Help Required Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think with most people it starts off with being a few pence overdrawn, so you get a charge and then a 28 overlimit fee which isn't applied until the end of the month. I am on a set budget, so that is 58 quid from next months bills & mortage budget. The 28 quid then takes you over your limit again so another charge. Then by the following month, you are worse off, so maybe a direct debit will bounce and hey presto, more charges. If you then try to call the Halifax for an overdraft to try and be sensible, they will tell you you can't have an overdraft unless your account has been charge free for 3 months, which is helpful!! Then maybe a direct debit will be returned, so mare charges, and maybe a fee from the company trying to get their money and it seems a big hole opens up and swallows you!

I have quite a healthy salary going in my account and was embarrassed by the amount of charges I had clocked up in 3.5 years (£1800), but from reading on this site, it is by no means unusual and the banks want to do very little in terms of helping you get out of the spiral, and why would they I suppose when they know they can charge more or less what they want each month!!

• Haha 1

Springer :p

yeah I'm totally with you on that one Springer the money is there for the DD but the apply a charge and then the money aint there oh that will be another charge to come out

01/09/2006 Data Protection Act sent

04/09/2006 Data Protection Act recieved by Halifax

28/09/2006 Called Halifax to see if they have done anything about Data Protection Act letter

17/10/2006 Non Compliance LBA sent

23/10/2006 Phone call made

24/10/2006 statements arrived

24/10/2006 prelim letter sent asking for return of £1455.87

08/11/2006 LBA sent ;) court next :p

14/11/2006 good will gesture made offered £513 now claiming £1639.95 :D

15/12/2006 Court claim number Halifax must respond by 23/01/2007

05/01/2007 PAID IN FULL WOOHOO

Regarding DD's, I used to pay my bills by cash or standing order.

Over the years, I gradually gave in to pressure to pay by DD.

Why did the goverment issue all those ads telling the country to pay by DD?

I chose cash & standing order because it meant that I could dictate when I paid, the amount I paid and the date that the payment was made.

In other words,I had control of my budget.

A DD can be taken from your account up to 3 weeks before and after your aranged payment date.

The amount can vary, for example when Mortgage interest rates change.

So, from being in control of your budget, you hand over control to whoever you are paying.

You cannot control your budget unless you have at least one months total budget payments in a separate account used only for bill payments.

You can't set this up whilst the banks and others continually fleece you!

It is in their interests for your account to get into trouble.

In the offer of partial seetlement sent to me by the Halifax, they stated that it was my responsibility to manage ny account properly.

I did this for years until they started to treat it as a source of income for them.

And, of course the banks just love it. It is most definately a significant source of revenue for them.

I have several claims ready to go. I'll start them once I have proof - i.e. money! - that it works via my Halifax claim.

After which I will insist that I once again pay by cash or S.O.

Institutions should not be able to dictate methods of payment.

If they are being paid, that should be sufficient.

There.... that's my rant for the day!

09/10/06:Halifax claims opened with prelims

claim 1 = 1392.38

claim 2 = 1437.74

claim 3 = 1480.76

claim 4 = 0185.32

Changed tactics.

1 claim of £4600 submitted - will travel to england to go to court if required.

27/10/06: LBA sent

01/11/06: Recieved an offer of £764

05/11/06: Refusal of offer sent

11.11.06: MCOL submitted

13.11.06: MCOL issued

16.11.06: MCOL aknowledged

17.11.06: recieved withdrawal of offer letter - too late, it's already with court!

27.11.06: recieved written confirmation from Northampton County Court. Still no correspondance from Halifax. They have until 15/12/06 to respond.

O1/12/06: Settled in full, including interest.

• 4 months later...

I also took out a Leeds mortgage in 1989 redeemed in November 1999 sent

Sars request 13/01 with £10.00 crossed postal order. no response whatsoever. Sent 2nd request ( as they were adamant they never received the original!)22/02- still no response! ,phoned last week - 5th call- finally got really helpful lady who told me original was received on 15/01!! Also told me I had a tie in with another mortgage( interesting as my current mortgage is with Birmingham Midshires, and I,m at the 2nd offer stage with them!) I pointed out that they were already in breach, and when was I likely to receive the statements- also mortgage exit fee refund. Was told 'probably the end of the week'. needless to say nothing at all, other than a cheque for £10 refunding the 2nd SAR fee I sent needlessly. Any sugestions what I can do next? I have no ideas what fees were applied to the account, other than the fact that they were hefty due to 2 yrs ill health. Help!

• 3 months later...

well 6 months down the line, and after involving both the Information Commisioner and Financial Ombudsman have finally got statements from old Leeds account and Halifax- does anyone out there know what the Leeds charges were please for letters and telephone calls? I,m really struggling to make sense of what they,ve ( finally) sent me. HELP!!