£80 private parking ticket for no permit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm new as well but I love this site, it helps the average person beat a corrupt system.

I was close to paying the fine, but after this site put me in the ring i'm ready to fight.

I'm in the same situation as everyone else with a parking charge notice, which is a butt clenching £80 or after 7 days £120, so just a few things if anyone can help?

I now understand that the onus is on the private ticket company to prove who the driver is, as the contract is between the driver and the company not the keeper of the vehicle. I'm sure that they cannot as i dont even know who the driver was, if they have no proof who the driver was, is it unlikely that they will go to court and the matter will be dropped?

Them not knowing who the driver is, is the only leg i have to stand on!

Cheers

Billy G

Hi Billy.G

Why did you get the ticket? Where you on private land, private car park?

I do believe that they have to prove who the driver is but again I'm not 100% sure. Also there has to be terms and conditions displayed clearly for you to be able to read and it should state that for what every reason you recieve a ticket it will not be in excess of £xxx. If they haven't got terms and conditions in place then how are you supposed to know if you are in breach of their terms and conditions and what the consequences are? That way they could charge you whatever they wanted !!!

Edited by sploits
Misprint

<----------- If I have helped in any way please click on my scales :p

• do not pay

• do not contact them

ignore any of their letters

• they will give up and go away after 3 or 4

• court chances are miniscule

They have to prove beyond the balance of probability who the driver is. It's very hard for them if you never correspond with them or only post brief details on here.

Billy I fully agree with everything that Al27 has said. Unless this goes to court (which I very much doubt it will) then you have nothing to worry about.

Did the sign say that you would be fined £80 if parked here with out a permit?

I believe that realistically they can only claim for money lost with you parking on the land. If they dont have payment meters in place then the amount they have lost with you parking there is nothing.

Plus IF it did go to court the penatly they have given you is a bit high isn't it? They can only really give you an invoice for parking where you parked and i don't think they can hand out penalty notices (they aren't the police or the council).

I got a ticket for parking on private land while I unloaded my DJ equipment. That was back in July. Its now December and I never heard anything after that :)

Just don't lose any sleep over it.

I agree fully with patdavies.

I would forget about it and just look forward to xmas and spend that £80 on the xmas booze instead of paying them bunch of muppets :)

Thanks everyone for the advice,

I have since checked and there are signs all over, the signs do say permit holders only and there are no ticket machines as i imagine the parking is not open to the public. However this was in a city centre.

The signs also stated that there will be a £80 charge or £120 after 7 days.

I was close to paying it as the only tickets in the past i have had are local authorities and the police which lets face it you cant escape them usually and they will take you to court.

I never knew the difference between private and authority tickets. Tickets from local authorities or the police are for the keeper of the vehicle and the police they can issue with a notice where the keeper has to state who the driver was.

Private tickets are based on contract law, therefore the contract is with the driver of the vehicle not the owner. The onus is also on the private company to prove who the driver is and how can they do that if the driver wasn't present and you give them no information becasue you dont have to.

The private company can go jump afetr reading these forums.

Once again thank you