Do i need a telly licence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5671 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As far as I understand it, there have been no prosecutions relying on the evidence of detection equipment. This is because, in order to do so, TVL/BBC (one and the same) would have to reveal how the equipment works and they do not want that to happen.

If you know of any court cases which have resulted in prosecution using detection equipment, please post the details here.....

Let’s try and remove some confusion about TVL

TVL are as follows

TV Licensing" is a trading name used by companies contracted by the BBC to administer the collection of television license fees and enforcement of the television licensing system. The majority of administration is contracted to Capita Business Services Ltd, with cash related payment schemes contracted to Revenues Management Services Ltd. Over-the-counter services are contracted to PayPoint Collections Ltd. Marketing and public relations activities are contracted to the AMV Consortium. This consortium is made up of the following four companies: Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO Ltd, Fishburn Hedges Boys Williams Ltd, PHD Media Ltd and Proximity London Ltd. The BBC is a public authority in respect of its television licensing functions and retains overall responsibility.

OFCOM, which in the past was OFTEL , RADIO AGENCY , HOME OFFICE ( Radio Investigation ) POST OFFICE TELEPHONES ( Investigation )

do the hard line investigation, in the 60/70's the detection vans had an array of Aerial on the roof ( in the days of VHF transmissions, BBC was in the 50 meg band and ITV in the 180+ meg band ) the aerials were very large and retrospect the aerial on the vans were also large, when they detected an unlicensed address and proved a set was live a screen shot of it on the test kit with a Polaroid camera and shown to the person, and would have been used in evidence with a sworn statement from the person doing the detection.

this has changed with the introduction of 625 line in the mid UHF band 485 - 800 meg approx the aerial become a lot smaller, and a small hand held device could be used , the aerial is a lot smaller and easy to fit on the newer devices, the devices still can output the data for printing etc and can be used in evidence if needed. The aerial on the newer vehicles are a lot smaller and covertly installed

Remember the laws have changed a lot since then and with the introduction of the FOI there may be as you say a reluctance to reveal how the actual detection and the working of the kit exposed, however anyone who knows how it works and with electronics’ / radio knowledge could make a device to jam the detection device ( no I wont go into detail, because it would be an offence under the WTA 1949 to use such a device, or make avaible )

None of that changes what I said. As watching TV without a licence comes under criminal law, the offence must be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

TVL cannot just show up in court and say "we detected a TV with our detection equipment", they have to prove it.

hi

i remember a long time ago i think it was on tomorrows world,they had a device to stop people spying on computer monitors.this consisted of a metal case that went around the monitor and a glass screen that had wires running through it,they said it was to prevent spying using tv detection type equipment as tv detection equipment picks up what is actually eminating from the screen,if this is correct they cannot pick up what you recieve through the ariel just what your screen displays so it would be a case of are you watching a recording or live transmission,hard to prove in this age of hundreds of channels

I stress this is out of memory so i wouldn`t go to court with it :grin:

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D