My tobacco got a customs charge: Will I have to pay it? It's an odd one...

mantisinc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm sure you can help me on this one, you guys generally seem to be pretty clued up :D

Basically, I bought some tobacco (not much at all - 5 x 50g pouches golden virginia) from Europe.

Came today, with a customs stick on it for £41.80. Now, it says on that that the parcel can not be delivered until all charges are paid. However, the postie just gave the parcel to me as he ususally does, and walked off. (I didn't realise the charge until he'd gone).

Because he didn't collect any payment, will they chase me up for it?

It's not a huge amount so I'm not fussed either way, but would be nice to know.

Here is a photo:

tacky.jpg

You should have had a card left asking you to pay the £41.80 + £8.00 handling fee (unless that's already included in the £41.80) before they would deliver it.

If you haven't received one then I imagine it's an oversight on Royal Mail's part. If they've delivered it without asking for a fee then I doubt they've kept a record. If you wanted to, you could notify them of their error and pay the fee.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hmm, well literally the postie (royal mail) just gave it to me like a normal parcel, just the parcel on it's own - and when he'd gone I realised there was that sticker on the front saying there was a customs charge.

I guess it's their loss if they didn't collect the payment from me?

If I wanted to? Don't be silly :p

Assuming that the customs charge is correct, this seems a very expensive way to buy tobacco;

you buy 5x50g pouches of golden virginia costing about £30 online,add to that the shipping charges plus this extortionate customs charge it seems that you are paying about £15 per 50g pouch when it costs just over £11 per 50g pouch in my local Tesco!!

It worked out at £30 in total, including the shipping. Which basically saved me £30 or so (they are ususally are £12 a pouch.)

But as for the customs charge, obviously I wasn't expecting one at all. With it - then yes - it sure is an expensive way to buy tobacco :p

I have just looked up one of these online tobacco companies websites FAQ's

quote;

Q; Are the products taxed ?

A; All our boxes of tobacco display an EU country government seal which guarantees that the contents are genuine and that all taxes and duties have been paid to an EU government authority.

Q; Is it legal ?

A; Absolutely! since all our products are EU taxed you and every EU citizen may freely buy our products without having to pay any extra taxes or duties in the country of residence,if you reside in a country that is a member of the EU you have a great advantage ! one of the major reasons for the very formation of the EU is the free movement of goods between member countries.

(That is until good old British customs and excise come along that is !!)

So who is correct here ? anyone know?

Sorry, but the information on their website doesn't tell the full story.

The ECJ ruled 2 years ago that only goods transported personally by private individuals are exempt from excise duty - so anything bought online or mail order is subject to excise duty when it arrives in the UK.

Court rules against dropping tax on alcohol and tobacco bought online | Business | The Guardian

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | EU alcohol ruling cheers traders

HMRC are right, the trader is wrong.

Alcohol and tobacco products from within the EU cannot be sent to the UK unless arrangements have been made to pay UK excise duty in advance. On this occasion the OP has been charged the excise duty, but as there are special requirements concerning importing tobacco, then HMRC could have seized the goods.

To import tobacco you should use Registered Excise Dealers and Shippers (REDS), although I imagine the cost in doing so would probably end up a similar kind of cost to just buying the tobacco in the UK unless you're importing large quantities.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.