• Tweets

• I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs born by you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment. Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Moneyclaim online --now getting solicitors letter

EKMUM
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

This is my 1st post so apologies if its in the wrong bit.

We recently had the holiday from hell here in the Uk. We asked for our money back £450 so we could continue our holiday elsewhere which was ignored.

Cutting a long story short---

We lodged it with the small claims and the defender wrote back saying they were putting in a full defence.

However today we have received a solicitors letter from the defence offering us £50 as a gesture of goodwill and not an admission of guilt which unless we accept they will claim all expenses off us should they win in court.

Should we be recieving letters from a solicitor that is nothing to do with the claim or should everything be now done through the court? I feel a bit intimidated by it really.

I'm quite happy to proceed with the small claims but just wanted a bit of advice.

thanks for any help

EKMUM xx

I feel a bit intimidated by it really.

Yes that's what they do, attempt to intimidate. The reality is they want you to go away and stop being a pest... if it's worth fighting that offer will only increase, up to the total of the sum claimed. It's impossible to comment any further as we are not aware of the facts, but if the claim has merit I wouldn't be accepting that, personally. Even if the claim lacks substance they might pay due to the cost of defending.

Can you elaborate as to the situation as there isn't much to go on.

This thread might be better served in the holiday forum, click the triangle next to the scales below, and ask it to be moved - if you want.

Btw, welcome to CAG. :)

Hi EKMUM and welcome to CAG.

I'll move this to the Holiday Companies forum where you should get advice.

As Thai says, don't worry about the sol'rs letter. They're perfectly entitled to write to you in an attempt to negotiate a settlement out of court.

Don't be intimidated though - unless your claim was found to be totally without foundation, you're unlikely to have any costs awarded against you for this.

You should concentrate on putting together a strong case for your claim including photos or video footage, notes made while on holiday about what was wrong, letters to and from the holiday company, etc.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks very much for the replys--its much appreciated.

The holiday we went to was to a private cottage. The cottage was dirty, had an ant and flying ant infestation. We reported it to the owner who after phoning 3 times eventually came out to "help".

Help came in spray cans of raid ant killer and nippon ant powder. I informed the owner we would like our money back to continue our holiday elsewhere as putting down these chemicals were not suitable to me being asthmatic and to my 3 year old who has numerous allergys. This was totally ignored. 3 times I asked her and she ignored me and my hubbie.

I wrote to her after the holiday and she practically called me a liar and then said we had left her cottage in a terrible mess ( total lies) which took her 2 hours to clean up.

She then said she was surprised we didnt just go home if the cottage was so infested --something we couldnt do as we were down in that part of the country for a reason.

She blamed the infestation on the time of year and it was a problem everywhere. This I can understand but when they are crawling through cracks in the wall and up through sinks and over worksurfaces I dont!!

The kitchen became unusable due to the powder lying everywhere.

I have lots of photographs of all this which I will produce in court.

Do I reply to the solicitors letter telling them to bogg off and come up with a better offer --do i send them my evidence or send it to the court?

I need to send the letter back to the court this week but can ask for an extra month to try and solve it outside of the court through mediation.

Feeling very stressed about it all but am not willing to drop it as i feel very stongly we were fobbed off.

Very appreciative of this forum :)

EKMUM

For me it wouldn't matter what time of the year it was, the accommodation likely wasn't advertised with bugs. She has shown her true colours by saying 'I'm surprised you didn't go home'! (I bet she wouldn't have been forthcoming in the refund dept).

I would indeed reply to their solicitors, it's best to demonstrate you have exhausted all mediation. I wouldn't tell them to bog off though! I'd tell them why it is unsatisfactory, repeat what you want, and end with something that lets them know you will proceed with your claim unless they are willing to settle. I would be prepared to take a little less since you did have some form of accommodation, but that's me.

I suppose you could send them to the court, but you could just take them on the day. I don't think you are obliged to send the photo's to them, although they might help your case if they see how bad it was, and that you do indeed have proof.

Oh shes shown her true colours alright--some of the lies she has told just make us out to be like the clampets and this is something we are not. We are Joe Average family who saved up all year round for a weeks holiday which in our eyes cost us alot of money £450.

We told her the house was dirty and full of spiders webs which she said was to be expected as it was an old property.

I would accept less but just need to word my letter right.

Can ask the court for a months delay so we can try and settle outside so will tomorrow write to her solicitor.

My dad is on at me to go to a solicitor but I dont see the need and expense of doing so--anyone any words of wisdom before i get mega stressed out :eek:

Thanks again --what a great forum:wink:

I think your case is strong. The only way the defendant would be awarded costs is if you 'lost', and I doubt that. Since you'll be showing evidence that your accommodation was unhygienic, the worst I could see is that the judge would award part of the claim, and they wouldn't get anything.

By instructing their solicitors they took a risky gamble, they will have worked out that the sols fee plus an offer of £50 is less than the amount claimed. Should they now lose, which I expect, it will end up costing them more. Please don't be intimidated by solicitors letters.

Saying that spiders are to be expected in an old property is laughable.

I think you have taken this claim far enough to know you can handle it, involving a solicitor of your own would be expensive and as the claim is fairly straight forward, I don't see the point personally.

I'm no expert, I'm just giving you an opinion. Maybe a letter like this would suffice:

Your address

Their address

Date

Dear whoever,

Thank you for your recent letter dated *******. The contents of which have been noted.

I am unable to accept your offer of £50 as I feel it doesn't reflect the unpleasant experience we endured.

*remind them here about your experience*

Whilst I accept we still occupied the accommodation, we were very concerned about our child's health and indeed our own, furthermore the proprietors reluctance to resolve the situation.We had no choice but to remain in this accommodation. However, I am willing to settle this claim for £*** in order to bring this matter to a speedy resolution.

If this is still not acceptable to you, then I shall continue with my claim, in full, which stands at £450.

yours Sincerely.

Whatever you send, send via recorded delivery.

Edited by Thailand
  • Haha 1

Thanks ever so much for that. Will use that if you dont mind and add some of my bits and also include a photo of the infestation.

Their letter said the £50 was a final offer so are they likely to offer any more?

To be honest i dont want to go to court but will do to get some justice.

Wish I could attach some photos on here and show you how manky it was!!!

Thanks again

EKMUM

Thanks ever so much for that. Will use that if you dont mind and add some of my bits and also include a photo of the infestation.

Their letter said the £50 was a final offer so are they likely to offer any more?

To be honest i dont want to go to court but will do to get some justice.

Wish I could attach some photos on here and show you how manky it was!!!

Thanks again

EKMUM

I don't know if they'll offer any more, it's certainly possible. If they don't then you have demonstrated to the judge they you were attempting to be reasonable.

Maybe you could upload the images to Photobucket?

Do go into detail about your experience, the solicitors are likely ill-informed. Don't send any photo's that aren't spare! You might need them.

You could also consider reporting them to their local Trading Standards, or even Environmental Health, and include in your letter you have done so (only if you do).

Edited by Thailand
typo

Personally I wouldn't accept £50.

I think they are lucky to get away "at cost" as you're not only £450 down but had your annual holiday ruined.

If she had sent in a professional & registered pest controller she might have had an arguement.

I'm not even certain she would be allowed to handle such chemicals in an uncontrolled way just splashed willy nilly about the house whilst it is occupied.

If it was me I would sit tight at £450 but it's your call.

She told me there was an influx of ants at the time of the year as it was the breeding season and that neighbours had the same problems. I totally understand this but I dont want to be breathing in chemicals as i am asthmatic--i told her this and she replied then "why come to the country side then" as there are pollens there which aggrevate asthma!!

I live in scotland which is beautiful countryside!!!

Thanks again for all the advice--going to do my letter tonight one the wee one is in bed.

Also I have paid the £35 court fee and have claimed the £450 holiday payment. If it goes to court and I win can i claim expenses back from her or should I have included then in the claim?

Once again thanks very much!!

If it gets as far as court, I suspect you can try and claim costs, but we can deal with this nearer the time. I see no reason why you can't claim £9.25 per hour (half the professional rate) in dealing with this. If it gets to that, do be reasonable and it's entirely up to the judge as I understand it.

Think carefully about your next letter, I agree with Mr darling (TheChancellor!) having seen the pics.

You didn't need to add costs to your Particulars, but you could have claimed statutory interest at 8%. It wouldn't amount to alot, so I wouldn't worry about that. In any case if you want to pursue costs, I think you can fax/send them through nearer the time.

My mate refers to his daughter as the Wayne, lol. :D

Taken from the RoSPA website (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)

Use of Chemicals

The use of chemicals and pesticides is controlled by legislation such as the Control of Pesticides Regulations 1986, the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, the Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 and the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.

These:

• Cover the supply, sale, storage and use to agreed regulations
  • Ensure staff have appropriate training - and, where necessary, a certificate of competence
  • Prohibit unauthorised use
  • Require a detailed usage log.
  • Require the use of protective equipment

Insects and Pest Control

It is suggested where insects and pest problems occur a specialist pest control company is consulted - these can be located through the Yellow Pages, etc.

I would tell them you intend to take input from Environmental Health & the Health and Safety Executive.

You will also be asking the court to confirm that (she) has completed the necessary training to handle such chemicals (as presumably she is professionally qualified to comply with RoSPA's guidance);and produce her usage log and explain why such hazardous chemicals were left exposed around a child.

If you haven't trousered your 450 notes by Friday I'll show my a*** in Harrod's window.:eek:

Thats a brilliant article --going to print that out and attach it to my evidence. There was also an hot air outlet in the garden which wasnt covered so everytime we ran the hot water blasts of hot air pumped out. She said this had now been fixed even though no-one had ever complained before!!!

I'm feeling alot more better about it all. i was ready to jack it all in due to personal circumstances but now my heckles are raised and I'm raring to go !

Hi EKMUM,

Can I suggest you head your letter to the sol'rs WITHOUT PREJUDICE.

I'd only send them 1 photo but say you have many more to back up your contention that the property was infested and unclean.

Also, tell them if they do not advise their client to settle at £(whatever you decide), you are quite happy to take this into court as you are confident your evidence and case are strong.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thats a brilliant article --going to print that out and attach it to my evidence. There was also an hot air outlet in the garden which wasnt covered so everytime we ran the hot water blasts of hot air pumped out. She said this had now been fixed even though no-one had ever complained before!!!

I'm feeling alot more better about it all. i was ready to jack it all in due to personal circumstances but now my heckles are raised and I'm raring to go !

Don't forget to edit the last part lol.:rolleyes:

I'm in enough deep stuff without the Judge looking for me.

I would put the points raised into your letter to the solicitors when you send them a couple of photos.

Ideally they will roll over before it reaches court.

It means that you can't show it to a judge, without him/her asking to see it. That's why it's a good idea for you to do the same. I put it on the letter on page 1, but deleted it as I got confused over the whole trying to demonstrate your willingness to resolve the situation (since you can't submit it). Basically they are offering you a pittance, and then saying 'If you don't like it, then don't think you can use this letter as evidence'.

The Sols sent it to you without prejudice because they likely figured you wouldn't understand it, and if you did, well tough - this is our last stance. These tactics aren't going to work this time. :D

Them offering you the £50 means they think you have a case, so much so, even though they reckon' £50, or rather £15, is suitable compensation, they are trying to prevent you showing their laughable offer to a judge.

Don't worry on it, this seems to be going in your favour.