• Tweets

• Couldn't agree more, really wanted a true ruling on this just for the knowledge but pretty sure the Judge made some decisions today that he didn't need to?.. maybe they all go this way on the day? We hear back so few post court dates I'm not sure. Each Judge has some level of discretion. Their sol was another Junior not even working at their Firm, so couldn't speak directly for them! that was fortunate I think because if she would have rejected in court better, she might have  been able to force ruling, we are at that point!, everybody there!!, Judge basically said openly that he can see everything for Judgement!!!  but she just said "I can speak to the claimant and find out!" - creating the opportunity for me to accept. I really think the Judge did me a favor today by saying it without saying it. Knowing the rep for the sol couldn't really speak to the idea in the moment. Been to court twice in a fortnight, on both occasions heard 4 times with others and both of my claims, the clerk mention to one or both parties "Letting the Judge know if you want to have a quick chat with each other"! So, it appears there's an expectation of the court that there is one last attempt at settling before going through the door. So, not a Sol tactic, just Court process!. Judge was not happy we hadn't tried to settle outside! We couldn't because she went to the loo and the Judge called us in 10 minutes early! - another reason to stand down to allow that conv to happen. Stars aligned there for me I think. But yeh, if the sol themselves, or someone who can make decisions on the case were in court, I would have received a Judgement against today I think. She was an 'advocate'.. if I recall her intro to me correctly.. So verbal arguments can throw spanners in Court because Plinks dogs outsource their work and send a Junior advocate.
    • that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Malicious claim of physical assault by junior employee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Issue 1: Hi, I work for a big retail company. Some months back I been subjected to a malcious grievance/claim of physical assault by a junior employee that I manage. All because I held her to account for stock totals in the Warehouse not adding up. To corroborate her claim she has managed to get her friends (2 other people that I also manage) who are more than happy to support her allegations. Investigation now taking place by a male manager in another department who by the looks of things has fallen for the "female waterworks". (This is despite fact that the alleger has a history of losing her temper whenever she is criticised).

Issue 2: Throughout HR have also fallen for her story. To make matters worse, they have not complied with basic procedures which has made it very difficult to defend my case. i.e. the alleged did not happen. Infact this has been more than one occasion, eg expecting me to attend an investigation hearing without even providing me with a copy of the allegation. Also inviting me to an investigatory meeting with only 3 working days notice (which meant there was no way I could have arranged for a rep to attend with me). I almost feel that they have an issue with me? ie. My race.

Issue 3: The allegation was made very public by the alleger and her friends and this made my job unbearable. I became so stressed and fed up with the malicous claim, the handling of the internal investigation and the racism of the HR department that packed it all in last month. I could not bear it any longer. i.e. I'm no longer an employee and obviously without a job. Investigation still going ahead.

However, quite frankly, I feel an injustice has been done on me. I'm jobless and fighting a malicous claim. Given that I am no longer an employee (and not a member of a union) do I have any rights for the injustice that was done on me.

Sorry, have never used this site before and not that good on computers.

Other people that I know of have, until proven guilty, been provided with support from HR. That hasn't happened in my case. I wasn't even given sufficient notice of the last hearing. I say female waterworks because the investigators keeps on mentioning that in the meetings I have had as opposed to at least hearing my side of the story. I really do feel I'm at a disadvantage by being a male manager in an industry where many of the junior members of staff are female.

But why is it a race issue? All you've said is that your HR Dept hasnt handled your case the way you feel it should be. I cant see why that makes it a race issue?

And you feel disadvantaged because youre a male manager where most of your junior staff are female? It sounds more like it should be the junior female staff who should be feeling at a disadvantage.

Sorry, but it comes across like youre clutching at straws here.

Every female and white person that has gone through a similar process has been helped by HR throughout the process. And given that HR have not complied with natural justice and correct procedures, leads me to assume that it must be because I am male (HR and the shop floor is dominated by women) and I am Black. Just coz I'm a manager, doesn't mean I haven't got feelings. I too have a mortgage to pay, kids to feed.

When the stocks don't add up the manager would have held me to account as I'm the supervisor and I have to explain unexplained reductions in stock. I was just doing my job. If that then gets twisted into becoming a malicious claim of assault where's the fairness in that? Just coz I'm in a a position of authority as far as staff reporting to me are concerned, doesn't mean I have no feelings. I too have children to support, a mortgage to pay. And in the present climate, I'm not going to get another job easily either.

You could try to claim for constructive dismissal, but it may be hard if you don't have evidence of being treated unfairly.

Were there any other episodes of racism/sexism before this? Has another black employee been discriminated against?

Unless you have proof, or it was overt, you may find it difficult to prove.

With hindsight, perhaps you should have started a grievance whilst you were there.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

They did the same to another supervisor but as she has the Unions behind her, they backed off and couldn't treat her as badly as they treated me. You are right Tiglet, I should have raised a grievance while I was still there. I guess I wasn't thinking straight - infact it was unbearable continuing to work within the ridicule. Is it too late to bring a grievance now or is it too late as I'm no longer an employee?

It sounds like you aren't having much fun!

I take everything you've said as being gospel...so here are my thoughts.

The practice of deflection and transference of fault ie claiming physical assault falsely...Very hard to defend against....And a classic attribute of kids....Why then after a physical assault by a male upon a female were the Police not called?

Did they not follow company procedure to the letter? I'm assuming that you as a manager would have seen the company handbook and undertaken disciplinary actions in line with your position within the company?

3 days notice to attend an investigation meeting seems fair enough, My policy is an immediate investigation...While it's fresh in everyone's mind.....Nobody loses a job at an investigative meeting...Usually the problem is solved or gets progressed to full disciplinary.

Who made the details general knowledge? the accuser or co conspirators/management?

You mention in a post

They did the same to another supervisor but as she has the Unions behind her, they backed off and couldn't treat her as badly as they treated me
Who did the same the group of employees or the employer?.....After witnessing that you should maybe have joined a union.

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that you "could" make a claim of constructive dismissal after your treatment (if it was indeed contrary to company policy) placed you in an untenable position, I see no reason to suspect race being an issue or primary reason for your treatment and in fact abhor it being bandied about without evidence...If however it's true then screw them into the ground and start your own business on the compensation.

Why the long face Horsey?

Tiglet's question: I've been in the post for just over a year.

I've only recently found out (through a friend of a friend) about the way they had treated another supervisor - but she was from another store. In my 20 years of working, have never been in this situation before.

I'm not against an investigation. Its just that on the face of it HR seemed to have already made up their mind that just because I was male with 2 females against me, I was automatically guilty. The investigation itself was just a show. They were/are rushing through it without even considering my right to representation and a fair hearing.

I definitely do think that had I been a female manager, or even a white manager they wouldn't have treated me so badly.

I have to ask, why do you think a white manager would make a difference? What happened or was said to make you believe your colour had anything to do with it?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

HR are going outy of their way help Ms Aggrieved. Yet with me, they are breaking rule after rule throughout the investigation. Aggrieved, FEMALE, WHITE. Me, MALE, BLACK. I feel discriminated against. What other logic is there? There can't exactly be two qualities of treatment for 2 people who work in the same shop floor of the same company in the same country?

Well, to be honest, I really can't see how you have grounds for racism. They obviously have to believe her until proved otherwise do you think things would have been different if she was black and female?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but if you want to take this to an employment tribunal, you will need facts, not assumptions.

Has anyone there been overtly racist towards you?

Surely, they have to explain why HR department have not given me some of the basic rights such as right to representation etc.....Taking a grievance seriously and investigating it is not the same as believing the complainant. These days few people are overtly racist. Its how we are made to feel that makes us feel like 2nd class citizens. From my perspective, my employer have breached their duty of care towards me.

Tiglet's question: I've been in the post for just over a year.

I've only recently found out (through a friend of a friend) about the way they had treated another supervisor - but she was from another store. In my 20 years of working, have never been in this situation before.

I'm not against an investigation. Its just that on the face of it HR seemed to have already made up their mind that just because I was male with 2 females against me, I was automatically guilty. The investigation itself was just a show. They were/are rushing through it without even considering my right to representation and a fair hearing.

I definitely do think that had I been a female manager, or even a white manager they wouldn't have treated me so badly.

What about my questions! I may make a claim of racism if you don't answer.....

A manager should know the procedure and be able to offer their own defence in a case like this.....Maybe you could claim a lack of training led to your not knowing how to make your defence......By your own words you appear to refute the claim of racism as it is just your opinion with no evidence.

Is the internal investigation still ongoing or have the Police been involved?

Surely, they have to explain why HR department have not given me some of the basic rights such as right to representation etc.....Taking a grievance seriously and investigating it is not the same as believing the complainant. These days few people are overtly racist. Its how we are made to feel that makes us feel like 2nd class citizens. From my perspective, my employer have breached their duty of care towards me.
The right to representation is for you to assert....Can you post copies of the invitation letters (edit your/their details out) for appraisal?

It was made public by the conspirators and management. Police were not involved. Infact complaint not brought until 2 days after the so called incident. Investigation still going ahead - it is some 5 months since the so called incident.

I definitely feel DISCRIMINATED against. I can't think how I am different from the claimant other than being of the opposite sex and being black.

My employer aside, is there anything like a counter claim that I could bring against the malicious allegations? Don't get me wrong. In the interest of justice all grievance should be taken seriously and investigated. But surely malicious allegations need to looked into?

OR HAVE I LOST ALL RIGHTS BY VIRTUE OF NO LONGER BEING AN EMPLOYEE.

I think the only rights against the other employee would be to consider suing for slander, but this is expensive and very difficult to prove and I would certainly advise against it.

You could perhaps see a no win no fee solicitor and see if they think you have a case against your former employers for constructive dismissal - that way you will finally know whether you can do something or should just walk away.

You don't seem to have a basis for claiming constructive dismissal from the preponderance of information you have given, especially since you failed to raise a girevance before resigning. The actions you state you are unhappy with do not in my view meet the threshold for arguing an irretrievable relationship with your employer.

You may potentially have a claim for defamation against the 'victim', but this would be expensive (into hundreds of thousands of pounds) and time consuming. You would need to find a solicitor willing to act on a conditional fee agreement, and you would need to face the risk of losing, and being bankrupted by the other sides costs.

You also may potentially have a claim for malicious or injurious falsehood against the 'victim', though the burden of proof is on you in such a claim, and I doubt you could demonstrate that they have committed the tort in all the circumstances.

Next time, take legal advice before the charlie white hits the fan.

SV.

• Haha 1

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)