PC World "FREE" Laptops - Con?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5687 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a laptop from pc world, offered free or reduced when you take out a 24 month contract with o2 mobile broadband. The laptop had £250 off at sale, and I signed up. I later found that my bills were £40 per month, however o2 offer exactly the same (3gb) mobile broadband for just £15 if you went into their shop. This means that I have to pay an extra £25 per month over 24 months, and realistically the original laptop is anything but free but an extra £300 over the 2 year period. I have been onto the ASA and Trading standards, and its getting looked at. This is a con. Anyone have any views etc???? would be most appreciated

Unfortunately the saying " if it's too good to be true, it probally is" springs to mind on these promotions.

No doubt you'll get an old, out of date, not upgradable laptop, basic software and a nightmare contract.

There been a few offers like that, but i asked to see the contract before i sign anything now, and i seen the pages and pages of complete twadle, and i'm out the door.

I prefer the straight up, no nonsence aproach, and so far, none of the companies have it, and never will, they tie you up in legal rubbish that takes a month of legal solicitors just to read, let alone understand.

So i would say, stay away from these offers, save the same money in a tin if you have to, for the same time, then go buy a laptop, and that dongle seperate, and still have enough to go on a day trip to europe for 2.

• Haha 1

Thing is, the laptop is great, but my beef is that I had I known at the time the full circumstances, I would have bought the packages seperate, and paid full price for the laptop, but now im tied into this 24 month contract. The manager invited me to the store to speak and arrange a resolution, but I havent had much chance, and when I went he wasnt there, and you cant get through on the phone to them. I wrote and said to deal with by letter, as its all written down then. To date no joy, but I have free solicitor assitance through work, and I will use them for this in the end as its a basic con. Its basically a £15 O2 mobile broadband dongle, and a half price laptop for the inflated £40 per month, so the laptop isnt free or reduced. Its against the law - misrepresentation and illegal advertising.

You are clearly miffed by this and I understand your point. However, misrepresentation, or illegal advertising, is not - in my opinion - what has happened here.

Yes, by all accounts, the O2 contract seems to have been overpriced in that the same thing can be found cheaper directly with O2, but PC World like anyone else can offer any service or goods at whatever price they see as appropriate so long as their is demand.

There is nothing wrong with offering an item or service at a price which is more expensive than can be found elsewhere.

The problem here is that, unfortunately, you did not do enough homework on the deals being offered and wrongly believed that PC World would not wish to make money out of you (or words to that effect).

I think, if you complain and manage to get something out of them, then you will have been very fortunate and should take whatever you can and run, especially if they offer something financial...

IF the deal had been offered with specific wording to state that the contract price was only available at that price no matter where you shopped, you would have a case. I doubt that they would have been so foolish to suggest anything like that though.

I do hope, however, that you come across a very generous store manager. ;)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.