• Tweets

• It would help us to advise you if you fill in the sticky that dx100uk posted yesterday, then we can start looking at this. It's also worth sending off an SAR [click on the letters for further information] to Met, so that you have all the information for later. You don't want to be trying to get hold of it in a rush. HB
    • I chose to transfer my Isa and went through the usual process, giving Shawbrook three weeks' notice, but it did not process the transfer until after my account matured.View the full article
    • so I need to return the questionaire   Do I go for the remediation fre eoption or straight to court?   is there a guide to filling this out or do i just go with what i think? (ie. judege, get all papers, make a decision)  
    • Thanks for replies people, I think i will hold tight for a bit.
    • Can I please have advice on how to deal with Forecourt Eye.  Received a letter claiming I drove off without paying for petrol three months ago...there is a picture of me at the pump and me clearly offering my card to pay - apparently I only paid for some snacks and then left. Its also for a very odd amount 23 - I did check my account and I was charged 1.50 for snacks. I obviously had every intention of paying and for some reason either the transaction didn't go through.    I am kind of fuming about this as I had no idea and if I did not pay I have no idea what the circumstances were , but not a 'drive off' as described by Forecourt Eye. I have no issue paying for the petrol if the payment for whatever reason did not go through. In fact we visited the garage on advice of a friend who has a legal background and offered to pay, the lady behind the till called the manager and we spoke to her on the phone where she robotically said its 'the way it is now and it goes to Forecourt Eye' I then said I am contractually obliged to pay you, not Forecourt Eye.  We are visiting the garage again when the manager is there and will offer to pay again.  Interestingly when we called in the lady behind the till asked if I had called the garage the day before about the matter- I said no that was not me, so somebody else clearly  has had the same issue, I can't see drive off's being that common in any petrol station! So I know I am not the only one.    I know calling Forecourt Eye is not advised, I visited a shell garage yesterday ( really not wanting to ) made sure I had chip and pin and made sure I knew exactly what was being entered into the machine. They now have their threatening posters all over the pumps, basically making them or the garage responsible for any mistake...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

American express - CCA return + PPI Reclaim

intree
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello DD!

I requested by CCA from amex and was sent a copy of my 60-second application form which I have signed, although they have not. The terms and conditions they sent were apparently on the back of the form I signed. Is this okay, or do they have to be on the same page?

It may be best to start your own Thread, but I can say that Amex would say the above, as that's what they want you to think.

However, there remains a big question mark if that was actually the case.

Amex will usually struggle to come up with an Original Copy of your alleged Agreement. That's often handy for them, as it means you cannot prove what was, or what was not on there.

Unfortunately for Amex, if they can't prove what was on the rear, then they will have a hard time proving you owe them anything.

But I suggest starting your own Thread to get detailed help.

Cheers,

BRW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Please can anyone let me have some advice on the attached letter received from AMEX Today:

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated December 2008.

We have provided you with a copy of your signed Agreement. I reiterate that by signing the application form it is clear that you were entering into a credit agreement. The signature box contains the phrase "This is a credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms".

We are in no doubt as to the fact that the debt is genuinely owed by you, and beleive that since your account was opened, you have been provided with all the necesarry documents to evidence the debt. If you geneuinely believe that the debt is not owed to us, we would ask you to provide details of the company to whom you believe the debt is owed to. Clearly it can not be the case that you have spent a significant amount of money on your credit card that has not been paid back, without there being a legal entity to which that money should be repaid.

In response to your request that we stop processing your personal data, we point out that by entering into the Agreement you consented to us exchanging information about you and your account with credit reference agencies. Inany event, we are entitled to exchange information with credit reference agencies for the duration of the agreement and six years therafter, because the processing is necesarry for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by us or the credit reference agencies and other financial institutions (see paragraph 6(1) of schedule 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998)

This is a view shared by the Information Commisioners Office (ICO), Which has explained that it takes "a wide view of the legitimate interest" and considers "that is in the interests of other creditors to make informed lending decisions". Moreover, referring to the Crowther Report and the Younger Committee on Privacy, the ICO has concluded that the sharing of account data with credit reference agencies for the duration of the contract and six years therafter" ...would not appear to be in breach of the fifth principle (of the data protection act)". As such, there is no basis for your notice to us to cease processing your personal data.

This is our last and final response and further correspondence received from you in relation to this matter, will be read and filed and not responded to.

Yours sincerely

Executive Relations senior management.

The response is disingenuous in several respects - though that is rapidly ceasing to become any surprise to me. (How long is it on average before we new members stop expecting the beggars to play by the rules?)

The point is that the debt does still exist but only in a curious legal limbo in which it cannot lawfully be enforced either directly or indirectly by any legal entity.

On a childish note, it must be so tempting to reply that any further correspondence from them will be treated likewise: read, filed but not responded to.

Hello Intree!

We have provided you with a copy of your signed Agreement. I reiterate that by signing the application form it is clear that you were entering into a credit agreement. The signature box contains the phrase "This is a credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms".

What Amex tend to overlook is a Regulated Agreement is binding on both sides. They are a huge and sophisticated financial bunch of right bankers, and were holding all of the Aces when they first created the Agreement. They had teams of Lawyers, it was always their Agreement and not yours.

That's where the Consumer Credit Act 1974 comes in, as that sets out what these huge and sophisticated bankers had to get right if they wanted to earn lots of interest from you, i.e. the Consumer. The Act made it clear what they must do, and the penalties for not doing it.

The Act made a big thing about the Prescribed Terms, because they are the key Terms that effectively say how much you are going to get stiffed for when using their nasty Card. Omit them from the actual Agreement, and there is no Agreement.

However, bankers were never fond of those Prescribed Terms because they really didn't want people to dwell on them, or else people just wouldn't sign up for their expensive Card.

Despite the Act, and despite their Teams of Lawyers who you would think could get this right for their Clients, many bankers, Amex included, somehow forgot to put the Prescribed Terms anywhere obvious, if at all.

They created lots of Application Forms where they made little or zero effort to highlight let alone include the Prescribed Terms. That's because the bankers really, really, really didn't want you to see them. They then shipped out thousands of these Application Forms, in all shapes and sizes.

They also made many silly mistakes with the layout and form of these Documents. Indeed, they were so lazy and/or keen to rush through the Applications that they thought it would be a wizard idea to combine the Application Forms with an Agreement. Why waste paper, after all?

Anyway, going back to their first paragraph:

The signature box contains the phrase "This is a credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, sign it only if you want to be legally bound by its terms.

It's sadly ironic that if Amex had bothered to look a little further up, they'd have seen that they had used the wrong Heading if they wanted this Application Form to double as a Regulated Credit Card Agreement...they left out the word Card:

See: Consumer Credit Act (1974) and related Regulations

It has the wrong Heading if they want this Application Form to become a Credit Card Agreement. They've omitted the word Card. See Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 SI 1983/1553. Schedule 1 of SI 1983/1553 (see link above) says (1(d) applies to your Card):

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, a heading in one of the following forms of words--

(a) "Hire Purchase Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974";

(b) "Conditional Sale Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974";

© "Fixed Sum Loan Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974"; or

(d) "Credit Card Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974",as the case may require.

(2) If none of the headings in 1(a) to (d) above are applicable a heading in the following form of words--

"Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974".

(3) Where the document and a pawn-receipt are combined, the words ", and Pawn Receipt," shall be inserted in the heading after the word

"Agreement".

(4) Where the document embodies an agreement of which at least one part is a credit agreement not regulated by the Act, the word "partly" shall be inserted before "regulated" unless the regulated and unregulated parts of the agreement are clearly separate.

(5) Where the credit is being secured on land the words "secured on" followed by the address of the land shall be inserted at the end of the

heading.

That alone may well render the alleged Agreement as being an improperly-executed regulated agreement and so enforceable against the debtor or hirer on an order of the court only (s65).

However, before Amex charges into Court, they need to be reminded that without the Prescribed Terms, a Court cannot enforce the alleged Agreement because of s127(3). Thankfully, your alleged Agreement was made in 1995, so it is covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and not the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

Thus, without any Prescribed Terms, Amex have no Agreement. Any monies they passed over to you are effectively a gift, here's why:

The courts have also clearly stated that if a creditor does not follow these obligations exactly then they are not entitled to the benefit of the contract:-

1.In the case of Dimond v Lovell [2000] UKHL 27, Lord Hoffmann said , at page 1131:-

“Parliament intended that if a consumer credit agreement was improperly executed, then subject to the enforcement powers of the court, the debtor should not have to pay.”

2.Sir Andrew Morritt, Vice Chancellor in Wilson v First County Trust Ltd [2001] EWCA Civ 633 said at para 26 that in the case of an unenforceable agreement:-

“The creditor must…be taken to have made a voluntary disposition, or gift, of the loan monies to the debtor. The creditor had chosen to part with the monies in circumstances in which it was never entitled to have them repaid;”

3.When this case was appealed to the House of Lords on a matter regarding the Human Rights Act (Wilson & Ors v Secretary of State for Trade and Industry [2003] UKHL 40), Lord Nicholls of Birkenhead said:-

49 The message to be gleaned from sections 65, 106, 113 and 127 of the Consumer Credit Act is that where a court dismisses an application for an enforcement order under section 65 the lender is intended by Parliament to be left without recourse against the borrower in respect of the loan… when legislation renders the entire agreement inoperative, to use a neutral word, for failure to comply with prescribed formalities the legislation itself is the primary source of guidance on what are the legal consequences. Here the intention of Parliament is clear.

Amex won't like that one bit, and below is confirmation of this, because here's their moan trying to bluff past the above:

We are in no doubt as to the fact that the debt is genuinely owed by you, and believe that since your account was opened, you have been provided with all the necessary documents to evidence the debt. If you genuinely believe that the debt is not owed to us, we would ask you to provide details of the company to whom you believe the debt is owed to. Clearly it can not be the case that you have spent a significant amount of money on your credit card that has not been paid back, without there being a legal entity to which that money should be repaid.

Sorry to break the news Amex, but that's exactly the case if there is no Enforceable Agreement. How daft does a bank have to be to get an Agreement wrong? It was about all they had to get right to earn many thousands of pounds in interest.

In response to your request that we stop processing your personal data, we point out that by entering into the Agreement you consented to us exchanging information about you and your account with credit reference agencies. In any event, we are entitled to exchange information with credit reference agencies for the duration of the agreement and six years thereafter, because the processing is necessary for the purposes of legitimate interests pursued by us or the credit reference agencies and other financial institutions (see paragraph 6(1) of schedule 2 of the Data Protection Act 1998 ).

This is more Amex hot air. If all they have is an Application Form that has not made the jump to becoming a properly executed Regulated Credit Card Agreement, then any Data Consent you gave them would be in relation to your Application only. It would be a Consent to look at your Data, it was therefore never a Consent to touch or meddle in your Data. If the Application Form never made it as far as becoming an Agreement, then it gave them no right to fiddle about with your Data.

Amex are getting carried away with themselves, again. Also, the Data Protection Act 1998 didn't come out until, well, 1998 approx, which is a few years later than when you signed that Application Form in 1995. Not yet sure how that may help you, but it suggests there was no actual Data Consent if the Act didn't even exist at that time.

This is a view shared by the Information Commissioners Office (Information Commissioners Office), Which has explained that it takes "a wide view of the legitimate interest" and considers "that is in the interests of other creditors to make informed lending decisions". Moreover, referring to the Crowther Report and the Younger Committee on Privacy, the Information Commissioners Office has concluded that the sharing of account data with credit reference agencies for the duration of the contract and six years thereafter" ...would not appear to be in breach of the fifth principle (of the data protection act)". As such, there is no basis for your notice to us to cease processing your personal data.

What Contract would that be then?

If there's no properly executed Regulated Credit Card Agreement then Amex don't get to play with your Data. Full Stop. They should go back and delete anything nasty.

This is our last and final response and further correspondence received from you in relation to this matter, will be read and filed and not responded to.

Priceless!

Executive Relations senior management.

And what does that Title mean? I think it's just Amex Clap Trap big me up Scotty Employee Job Title Extrapolation!

Works like this:

Take a humdrum title like, say, Clerk, and stick a hosepipe up its bottom until it puffs up into something more impressive. Too little gas and you only end up with a manager, too much and you end up with a Vice President. I think the hosepipe must've come off on this one about half way inflated. A little bit more gas/wind and you'd have been sent the letter by a Vice President (whatever that is, they seem to have shed loads of them). It's a tricky business, because if they leave the hosepipe on too long, they end up with a Galactic Overlord banker, and that's something with serious wind.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 1

OhmyGod!!!!!

BRW, thank you. I can hardly believe this. I have just started a separate thread where Scabhunter has been so helpful despite the fact that I haven't scanned in the Application form. I have been hoping to prove that the back is not what is referred to on the front.

This is so brilliant. Wonderful news, Intree, for both of us I think. My signature box is the same as yours, and the Exec has quoted it in your letter. My application isn't the same as yours, but also has a box headed 'Credit Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974' - again no mention of a CARD!!!

Thank you for the relevant Court rulings too.

Won't be in my office with printer/photocopier until next week but can't wait to send the letter.

What a brilliant forum! Thank you and Happy New Year to all of you who help us so much.

Lots of love,

DD

Hello DD!

Do note that it's the Heading of the Agreement Section, not the Title in the Signature Box.

It's not a knock out blow, but damned good ammunition against Amex, to add to everything else you can find wrong.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but do take things nice and slowly, because letters allow you to do that.

Never, ever, rush a response to them. If you are not sure, then take another day. Run anything past the people on CAG.

Always, always, always draft your letters with the Judge in mind, even if it never makes it that far.

Be polite, clinical and accurate. Don't say too much, always keep the best things back, because you don't want to give them a heads up on your plans.

Anyway, I have a New Years bash to sort out, so I'm otta here!

Have a good one, see you all next year!

Cheers,

BRW

Hi BRW,

Thank you. There is no 'card' in either box!

I always sleep on any letters, and I will definitely be careful in what I say. Anyway, I'll post on my own thread 'Amex 60-second application' exactly what I will be sending. I have the regs pages 12-22 in front of me to cross reference but hadn't even started. I'll see what else I can find. I may just keep it short and sweet. Since they sent it about a month ago I haven't heard from Amex or AIC at all. I'm sure I will. From what you are saying they must know it's not what it should be.

Have a great party.

DD

Thanks BRW for your response - it clarifies to me how big AMEX are in being the A**holes they really are, I will not respond to them,as they have clarified that they will not respond to my letters.

I have tried to be amicable and spent over 25 Quid in trying to be so, for the last 2 years I have dealt with Threats and legal implications to squeeze every penny out of me, when I was unable to make the repayments due to ill health.

This, forum gave me the strength to fight back, I have stopped payments and now have in writing that they will no longer respond to my requests for clarification on a debt I owe them/or not.

I am so distressed that a organisation such as this and others can squander and waste Billions of pounds of taxpayers money and be constrained to their Luxury apartments, with a Tag, then you have people who believe that the law is on their side and make all the right decisions in life, then BANG - their life changes due to no fault of theirs - and these same institutions can then make their lives hell, by pestering them for money which - legaly they can not provide adequate documents for.

Life is a Bitch and I know that One should always only take our credit one can afford........................BUT - what happens when your world crumbles around you, through Ill Health or EVEN WORSE SOME - Prat who takes a gamble on your hard earned cash ------- and gets away with wasting Billions in lies ------------ end result - people lose jobs and their lives.

Thanks for this Forum.

Dear Intree,

I know exactly what you mean. One day life is fine and you can cope with your credit commitments, then other people let you down, you have family crises or tragedies, or lose jobs, and everything you thought was okay in your life has changed forever and everything is out of control. I agree: Life is a bitch (and then you marry one, says my gay friend, who of course never will :)).

Hang in there. It's become so apparent to me in the couple of weeks I have been on this forum that we are managing to laugh too, even when life is absolutely appalling.

I hope 2009 is much better for you.

DD xx

Hello Intree and DD!

One thing that many people overlook is to carry out an in depth analysis of the alleged Debt.

The banks have spent hundreds of years banging away at the concept of Debt, and how it can only ever mean one thing...you owe them. However, as with many things the banks have touched, they've devalued the meaning of that word.

If I borrow a fiver from a mate in the Pub, that's a true Debt. I owe it, and I will pay it back.

But if you examine, say, a Credit Card alleged Debt, you'll notice that the bankers are almost hysterical about convincing you the whole alleged Debt is owed by you to them. They use sound bites like:

You've spent it, now you must pay it back.

Or...

If you genuinely believe that the debt is not owed to us, we would ask you to provide details of the company to whom you believe the debt is owed to.

Or...

Clearly it can not be the case that you have spent a significant amount of money on your credit card that has not been paid back, without there being a legal entity to which that money should be repaid.

Or...

Mr/Mrs X has spent a considerable amount of money using this Card.

...and many, many other variations on the same theme. They just cannot risk letting us Peasants question their favourite word Debt, so will throw in sound bites like that at every opportunity.

The sad thing is, many people start to believe them, and don't even think to question the validity or the actual break down of the alleged Debt.

I see many on CAG saying things like:

I know I've spent it, and so I know I must Pay this back. I'm not trying to get out of Paying my Debts, but I am having trouble doing so at the moment.

These are clearly decent honest people, who still respect and value the word Debt. However, in many cases, the Debt they think they owe, has often been manipulated into being.

OK, my point is that I urge everyone with, say, an alleged Credit Card Debt, to spend some time looking at the figures. By that I don't mean peering at every transaction, because all that'll do is get you lost in the detail.

No, take a step back and try to examine the Big Numbers.

To do this, you'll ideally need either a Spreadsheet or a basic Home Accounts Package like, say, MS Money or Intuit Quicken (that's been phased out, but still works well if you can get a copy).

Enter every transaction, but don't waste time on your Spending, just mark all that you Spent as Spending/Expenditure.

Below is a Post I made to try and help someone else out with a Default Notice, but I think you'll get the idea:

[The parts in Grey are what most people don't know until they start to analyse their own figures.]

The Big Numbers

Now you need to gather the missing bits between when you first signed up to what you thought was an Agreement, and the above Date of Termination that ended the alleged Agreement.

For example:

========================= =====

XX/XX/XXXX = The alleged Agreement (TBA)

--> A Total of all Spending/Purchases (TBA)

--> B Total of all Interest Charged (TBA)

--> C Total of any Unlawful Charges (TBA)

--> D Total of all valid Charges (TBA)

--> E Total of all Repayments (TBA)

The Balance of the Agreement = (A + B + C + D) - E

The above Balance can be analysed further:

--> F Total of Missed Payments/Arrears (TBA)

--> P1 = Total Payments due before Termination.

This total P1 will be equal to F if there are no unlawful charges, or it will be equal to F minus C if there are unlawful charges.

--> P2 = Total Payments due in the Future while the Agreement is live, or due for Payment upon lawful Termination.

This total P2 will be the Balance of Agreement less P1.

XX/XX/2008 = The Default Notice (TBA)

The Default Notice should state P1 as being the amount you needed to Pay to remedy the default that caused the Creditor to issue a Default Notice. The amount P1 needs to be accurate. P1 must equal F for that to be the case. If however there are unlawful charges (C), then P1 cannot equal F, and the Default Notice is then highly likely to be invalid on that basis alone. The degree of error will determine if the Notice is invalid, an error greater than 38.71% will exceed the Default Notice error noted in Woodchester v Swayne and Co 1998, so can be considered invalid based on that precedent. Below 38.71% margin for error, and there will be a debate if the error is significant enough to invalidate the Default Notice, or if the error is just de minimis.

de minimis = de minimis non curat lex, a Latin phrase meaning the Law does not care about very small matters. This is not very helpful, and does not actually say how small an error needs to be before it can be considered de minimis.

The Default Notice should be set out in the Prescribed way.

The Default Notice should allow you 14 Clear Days (assuming it was issued in 2008 ).

XX/XX/2008 = The Date of Termination

========================= =====

How can the above be used to help?

You are missing all of the bits in Grey above, but once you gather them, then you can proceed as follows:

If the Creditor has a valid Agreement, and they issue a valid Default Notice that complied with s88, and then Terminated the Agreement once you failed to remedy the default outlined in the Default Notice, then s87 allows them to seek Full Payment of the whole Balance of the Agreement. That will be made up of Payments Due before Termination (P1), plus Payments that were only due after lawful Termination (P2).

However, if the Creditor does not have a valid Agreement, then there may not be a Debt in the first place. So, that is a key issue you need to try and establish via your s78(1) Request and via your S.A.R., or via CPR 31.16 before issue of a Court Claim by a bank, or via CPR 31.14 after issue of a Court Claim by a bank.

If they do have a valid Agreement, then the way they Terminated the Agreement is going to be very important indeed.

A lawful Termination entitles them to seek full Payment of the whole Balance of the Agreement (P1 + P2).

Whereas an unlawful Termination should limit them to being able to seek Payment of only P1 because they will not then be able to enjoy the benefits of s87. Remember too that P1 has to be accurate, if there are unlawful charges (C), then they will reduce P1, and could give rise to a Refund Claim if C is greater than P1.

At the moment, only the Date of Termination is probably known, and the Date for that should be on, or just before, the above letter from BOS DCA. Be aware that the actual Date of Termination could be a few days before their letter, as it could depend on when the Creditor marked your file as being Terminated. Hopefully, your S.A.R. will show that date more accurately but, for now, the Date on the BOS DCA letter that confirmed your alleged Agreement had been Terminated is accurate enough.

The items in grey are what you ought now to try and establish, so that you can fill in the blanks until you have a good overview of the alleged Agreement from Day One until the Date of Termination.

If you still have all of your Statements, then the items A to E above can be established, albeit that it may take you a little while to go through the Statements in order to pull out the main figures.

If you do not have your Statements, then you'll need to wait for your S.A.R. to come back which should hopefully provide the missing figures.

The big numbers are important, otherwise you won't know where you are with the alleged Debt. Once you know where you are, you can then examine their figures to see if they have made any howling errors!

Don't get bogged down in the detail, it's just the main Categories that you need to know. For example, if you subtract E from A, that will tell you if you've spent more than you have ever repaid, or if you have repaid more then you have ever spent. In many Credit Card examples I've looked at, people are often quite shocked to find that they have actually repaid more than they have ever spent, so the alleged Debt that now remains is effectively the sum total of the Creditor's Interest and Charges.

If they do not have a valid Agreement, then there is no Debt. This is because you are not liable for that Interest or those Charges unless there is an Agreement that binds you to paying them in the first place.

If they do have a valid Agreement, then there is a Debt, or at least there was a Debt prior to Termination.

How they went about Termination is key, because it can make the difference between you owing the whole Balance, or just the Arrears, or quite possibly them owing you something depending on how the big numbers above work out.

This is a little complex, but if you work through what I have said above, it may start to make sense.

Once you've done the above, you may be shocked at what you do actually owe. Many people who have had a Credit Card for many years have often repaid more then they have ever Spent.

Thus, if the bank never had an Enforceable Agreement from the outset, you owe them nothing. There is no Debt. You have may well have repaid more than you ever spent, and they had no Right to charge you any Interest.

The alleged Debt that remains is, effectively, the sum total of all their Charges and Interest.

OK, for some people they may well have spent more than they have repaid, and that applies to me on one my Cards but, on all the others, the reverse is the case. I've repaid far more then I've ever spent.

If the bank has no Agreement worth squat then, in reality, any excess of repayments over expenditure ought really to be repaid by the bank back to the Consumer.

As an example, on one of my Cards, they are after 22k now, and yet I know that over the lifetime of the Card, I've spent 72k but have repaid them over 78k. When I sent them a s78(1) to find out what Agreement they had, I only owed them 16k, allegedly! That 16k has since been inflated to 22k since I started arguing with them...yes, they've added over 6k in Penalty Interest, as they ramped my Rates up while arguing over the alleged Agreement!

It's almost comical when you pause to consider that I've paid them back maybe 4-5k more than I ever spent, and they have no Agreement worth squat. The 22k alleged Debt is no Debt in my eyes, and so I will fight these idiots all the way.

Fighting a bank once you know the breakdown of the alleged Debt does get much easier when you find out the bank may well owe you money, not the other way around!

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Thank you for that BRW. I'm certainly going to do this. I think I have almost all my statements somewhere!!

I'm still trying to find out what was actually on the back of my 60 second application form. I've just been told that the front of the application is internally inconsistent - personal info box referring to para overleaf, but Credit Agreement referring to T&Cs being part of the agreement, no mention of overleaf at all, which really makes me think they were on a separate pamphlet. That is my missing link at the moment. I would so love to know that what they have sent isn't what it appears to be at all.

Thanks for all your help and support here.

DD

Hello DD!

I'm still trying to find out what was actually on the back of my 60 second application form. I've just been told that the front of the application is internally inconsistent - personal info box referring to para overleaf, but Credit Agreement referring to T&Cs being part of the agreement, no mention of overleaf at all, which really makes me think they were on a separate pamphlet. That is my missing link at the moment. I would so love to know that what they have sent isn't what it appears to be at all.

Without the Original Agreement, it's virtually impossible to know what was on the back of your Application Form.

The banks produced so many Application Forms that they don't seem to know for sure, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll say whatever they want to say was on the back.

They won't say there was nothing on the back, so there's no point asking them that question!

Even if someone on CAG has an Original Application Form that they never sent back, and even if that is identical to yours, that's still not 100% proof of what was, or was not, on the back of yours. Printing Presses do make mistakes too, so what if they Printed a batch, or even one, with nothing on the back.

It does happen. There are even some currency notes that are mis-printed, not many, given the checks that are made, but every now and again a batch of, say, ten pound notes will slip out missing, say, the serial number or similar. If it can happen there, it can certainly happen on a Printing Press churning out multiple Press Runs of Application Forms. Maybe the bloke doing the Printing that day hung one on the night before and neglected to put the Sheets back though to Print on the other side?

For example, when was yours Printed on Press? How can you tell if yours was on a Print Run that had some bumf on the back, or was yours from an earlier Print Run that had nothing on the back.

Even if a bank comes up with a blank Application Form from around that time, how can anyone be sure it wasn't actually Printed last week?

I do not trust bankers, they are just as honest and/or dishonest as anyone else - and probably tend more towards the latter, bearing in mind money is involved!

I would not put it past a banker to rustle up some new blank Application Forms to wave around in Court to show what something would've looked like, because he's some we didn't send out (despite the fact that the ink has only just dried on them)!

Thus, you must not let them steer the issue away from them needing to have the Original Agreement. It's vital to their case, and they will do all they can to water down the issue if given half a chance.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Added details.

One of the reason the banks/credit card companies go on & on about debt is that that it doesn't really exist in so far as they have lent any money , but they need us to believe it does. hence the fanatical crap they come up with to confuse & divide

They just create it , a sleight of hand, a fraud

see my post

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/175668-how-credit-cards-bank.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]....Please don't bother my master 'cos my sister & I might bite you...

I DO NOT offer legal advice

-

"I just say what I say because everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

Those who had to study The Merchant of Venice at school might see the comparison between some modern credit providers and Shylock. Quality of mercy, meh - they WILL have their bond ... and then the real extent of their entitlement is pointed out to them and they start bleating.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE

Have now stopped paying Amex - so dont know what to expect the CCCS have not been happy to suspend payments but have agreed until they provide a executed agreement - not application.

Dont know where this will end up, they terminated the account in March 2007, but I have no default notice or termination letter so I have made a SAR request to get information and see what they have issued to me etc.

Will keep you guys posted - any comments welcome.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have just recieved a SAR pack back from Amex, in that there is a document to state that they had cover for me from 1994 to 2007, when the card was stopped as I have debt problems and CCCS are repaying them monthly.

I am not sure what procedure to take with them to reclaim the payments made to them, especially considering that I have no recollection of the agreement to add PPI and the credit card had a running balance throughout the above period of between £3000 and £8900 - before it was terminated.

I would appreciate any advice.

Hi Intree:)

I am only a novice myself and I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to offer advice in a while, but as far as I'm aware PPI tends to get added to credit cards when one phones up to get the card validated - this is when they tend to catch you unawares. This happened to OH with his two MBNA cards - he has no recollection of asking for PPI or being offered it when he took out the cards (at a football match and an airport). The one agreement we have (we are still awaiting the other), has no box for PPI. When we approached MBNA they said the PPI was applied after a telephone conversation and that they have no recording of this conversation.

If you have your statements or a list of transactions you can begin the reclaiming process for the PPI if you believe you have grounds to prove it was mis-sold - most people seem to!

There are stickies detailing the most obvious grounds for proving it was mis-sold.

I'm not sure how far back you can reclaim for mis-sold PPI, although I beieve the general concensus is that you can claim back very old PPI if you have only just discovered it was mis-sold, so I can't see why you shouldn't try to get the full amount back!

We have just discovered some very old loan documents in our loft and are going to give those a go.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Hi I have just recieved a SAR pack back from Amex, in that there is a document to state that they had cover for me from 1994 to 2007, when the card was stopped as I have debt problems and CCCS are repaying them monthly.

I am not sure what procedure to take with them to reclaim the payments made to them, especially considering that I have no recollection of the agreement to add PPI and the credit card had a running balance throughout the above period of between £3000 and £8900 - before it was terminated.

I would appreciate any advice.

Did you get copies of all of your statements within your SAR request?

if not you should send them a non compliance letter and ask for the following documents....

A true copy of your Consumer Credit Agreement with the Terms and Conditions that were applicable at the time you took the loan.

Copies of all statements applicable to the loan.

Copies of all correspondence that apply to you as a data subject ie letters, emails, faxes etc.

Copies of all recorded telephone calls or transcripts of the recordings.

A copy of the needs and wants/ customer duty of care questionnaire... here is an example.

http://wwwa.mbna.co.uk/insurance/files/CP0608_INSU_MB_LP_S.pdf

Copies of any notes made by any staff in their dealings with you.

Also have a look in these links for further help.

PPI - Some Notes for Claimants..

links within this one are loads more links here are a couple that may help..

For claims before 2005 and the FSA ruling from which campaign

How to tell if you’ve been mis-sold PPI

Quick check: were you mis-sold? - How to tell if you’ve been mis-sold PPI

THIS LINK IS IMPORTANT TO YOU ON RECLAIMING IT IS FROM 2001 FROM THE FOS

loan payment protection insurance and a quote from this link...

When determining whether a policy is suitable, a seller – whether a lender or an agent for the insurer – must obviously take into consideration any information the prospective policyholder volunteers. However, we do not consider the seller’s duty is limited simply to recording what the borrower discloses. It is only by asking questions that the seller can properly determine suitability. These questions cannot cover every aspect of a borrower’s personal position and should not be expected to do so. To paraphrase the ABI Statement, only those matters deemed to be relevant by the insurer should be the subject of questions.

a template letter on non compliance is here.....

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance - Template Letters

hope this is useful to you

aa

PS Landy is on the ball with the advice

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi thanks for your kind advice Landy and Alanalana

Just been looking through the statements they sent me and despite the fact that they send a document to confirm I had PPI insurance from 1994 to 2007, they have only sent statements from 2002 and I have no charges applied on them at all for PPI, so dont know if there were any charges before the 6 year limit - to which they will probably say they have no records!!!

So will have to look further or drop this one I guess.

Hi thanks for your kind advice Landy and Alanalana

Just been looking through the statements they sent me and despite the fact that they send a document to confirm I had PPI insurance from 1994 to 2007, they have only sent statements from 2002 and I have no charges applied on them at all for PPI, so dont know if there were any charges before the 6 year limit - to which they will probably say they have no records!!!

So will have to look further or drop this one I guess.

Before you decide not to proceed further it may be worth asking for statements from the start of your agreement. Records should be retained for a period of six years after the last transaction on your agreement but if the agreement is still live I would be insisting they give you copies of the complete history from day 1. If they fail to produce submit a formal complaint to the Information Commissioners Office (they have the power to enforce the release of information to you in line with the Data Protection Act 1998) Also send a copy to the Financial Services Authority and the Office of Fair trading.

At least this way you may go have to retire having fired a broadside of complaints;)

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

• 3 months later...

Hi intree,

I have just read through your thread and wondered if there was any update on your situation? I see its been quite a while now.

I am just starting out on a similar course with Amex. I have a signed application form in response to my CCA request and since sending off the appropriate letters, etc., I have just received a letter back from the DCA offering a full and final settlement figure of 50%! I have just written back and told them that my counter offer to this would be that if they would like to write the balance down to zero and remove all my personal data from everywhere then I would promise not to sue for being charged interest and charges on the account without a valid agreement and also that I wouldn't sue for the distress and damages they have caused me by reporting adverse data to credit reference agencies without my permission! Of course if they don't reply (as I expect will be the case) then I am actually going to sue them as stated above!

If they have no agreement, they have no right to charge interest, or charges nor to share data. I have repaid them far more than I ever borrowed so the amount of 7K still outstanding is just their charges and interest! I'm not going to let them get away with it. I tried to settle this account with them in the past and they just ignored my letters completely! To think that they turned down an offer from me of full settlement of £2500 two years ago! :-) well, they've missed the boat now!

Regards,

Colin

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

1. Legal Action - Cabot Financial (Goldfish Account) ***WON***

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

2. Legal Action - Set aside application - Marlins/Phoenix

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

3. Legal Action - Set Aside Default Judgement -Santander (B & Q Store Card)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

You can make a donation here: