Metro Collection Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Mrs Z here, it must be our week for getting bugged by DCA’s.

So, yet another new thread – this time it’s Metropolitan Collection Services in-house DCA for First Direct/HBOS.

This debt is really small fry (in comparison to the rest anyway!) at £460.

Just over 3 months ago they agreed to a payment plan and on the letter at the bottom there is a Standing Order Mandate that shows the commencing date and the end date in the year 2046. Mr Z pays them online through our bank account.

Today, Mr Z has received a letter from these morons stating that they have noted that he has been maintaining payments as agreed under the “arrangement”. They go on to say that however, this arrangement was temporary and has now expired.

They give an option to either:

Ring their free phone number to discuss the next course of action

Or

Complete the tear off slip on the letter and return within 48 hours (letter dated 25th September).

On this tear off slip it asks for a payment offer and it states in order for the offer to be “considered” the appropriate boxes must be ticked:

Whether home owner or tenant

Employed/Unemployed

In addition they ask for telephone number – home, work and mobile number

and Email address.

Needless to say they will not be receiving any telephone numbers or email addy!

Any suggestions on how to reply to this, given that they have reneged on the deal made a few months ago??

Also, our concern is they will want to see wage slips, mortgage statements etc, can Mr Z refuse to provide that paperwork?

Any advice/opinions gratefully received, thanks

Mrs Z :)

ignore it, this is standard fayre for leeches such as these, enter an agreement, get you to pay, then start to squeeze to see how much they can get

they are just blowing steam, you have an agreement with them, as long as you haven't missed a payment keep on paying the agreed amount and keep records/copies of all communications, don't phone them and insist everything is in writing only

Don't give them any further information, they are not in control, you are, You decide how much you can afford to pay - not them

Not only do you not have to provide them with private documents, but the government state that they don't have a right to request them for fear of identity fraud.

You might actually wish to request a copy of the CCA, to ensure that these "people" have any right to collect against the debt

If you feel that this has been helpful, please feel free to tip the scales

Edited by spamheed
  • Haha 1

Write them a letter, enclosing a photocopy of the agreement you signed up to with the dates agreed and tell them to get wellied. I would also not send them any personal details at all. Tell them that you have agreed to pay so much back a month and hey ho they can whistle if they want more.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

Thanks spamheed

I totally agree with your comments.

Mr Z will not send any extra info, TBH they are the bottom of the pile of creditor. Gaining employment will not change the payments they recieve, Mr Z's wages only just cover the mortgage anyway.

I don't think it's worthwhile requesting A CCA as it was a CC only taken out around 2 years ago or so.

We keep all paperwork, always insist on everything in writing and never ever phone them. They no longer have the right to telephone as I wrote to their Data Controller some months ago telling them to remove the number. They've never attempted to ring!!

Thanks berrylover,

I was thinking about photocopying the relevant letter and sending it to them also telling them that they will not get anymore. I could rub salt into the wound by telling them that they are not our only creditor and perhaps that they are last in the pecking order too :D

Regards, Mrs Z :)

• 3 months later...

Good morning all, Mrs Z here :)

Today Mr Z has received a letter from CL Finance Ltd concerning his First Direct CC (part of HSBC) saying they now own the account (box at the bottom of the letter headed “Notice Of Assignment) and a letter allegedly from HSBC stating as such in the same envelope.

Despite the fact that it’s actually a credit card debt:

1. CL are stating the “debt” is for a current account opened in the middle of last year (the current account and CC were taken out in 2006 or possibly 2005, not sure but Mr Z has only statements going back to 2006).

2. CL go on to say that they are aware that HSBC has previously agreed a concessionary payment arrangement for £2 (it was in fact £1) and that “this arrangement” will not be affected in anyway and that from now on payments should be made direct to them.

Now, it’s patently obvious to me that either CL are totally thick or they’ve deliberately made these “mistakes” in the hope that Mr Z will ring them (as if!!).

It was in the hands of Metropolitan Collections (HSBC internal collections) who were a nasty bunch. They wrote in September attempting to up repayments and reneging on the plan that true it would take forever to pay! In addition they wanted the form at the bottom of their letter filling in giving job details, telephone numbers, homeowner details etc. Mr Z replied that he couldn’t “up” the repayment and reminding them he has a letter confirming the “plan”. He also said take me to court if you’re not happy!

Their response (in October) was that as Mr Z had “ignored” their request and they said they were left with no alternative but to apply an automatic increase.

We heard nothing until today - from CL Finance Ltd.

I am wondering if now perhaps we should send a CCA request? Am I right in thinking the new 2006 Consumer Credit Act changes doesn't affect the 1974 CCA prior to Apr 2007??

I've read up about this lot and it seems they favour doorstep collection, so maybe a do not visit letter should be sent too!

Any advice would be most welcome, thank you

Regards

Thanks for your reply cerberusalert, yes, at the very least, it will mess them around :D which is no more than they deserve!!

And as you say, it will keep one of the monkey's occupied for a while :p

Regards

I was just about to type out the CCA request to CL finance Ltd and I've noticed that the "current account" number they've stated is not the same as Mr Z's!

Does anyone think they've made an error (apart from the fact it's a CC debt) on purpose or got Mr Z mixed up with someone else?

Mr Z has got a letter from First Direct (the first response to his original "I can't pay" letter) clearly stating the current account number and showing a nil balance and his CC with a debit.

Anyone know how we should word this letter now please?

Any help much appreciated, thank you

Hmmm, personally, I would be inclined to really wind them up.

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your letter dated (whenever).

I am quite concerned at the many errors in your "letter of assignment"

I have no knowledge of your company and the original creditor (whoever) has not informed me of this change of ownership.

It is my intention therefore to continue paying ??? until they advise in the correct manner of an alternative arrangement.

Yours faithfully, :D

I read somewhere today that a notice of assignment should be sent by recorded delivery ;)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for your reply cerberusalert.

CL Finance ref number (customer number) is stated on their letter too. The account number for the First Direct current account is clearly stated as:

Re:Your Date account opened **-***** -08, First Direct Curr Acct Account

Account Number: **************

That is exactly how they've put it on their letter! The "account" that CL show has 14 digits.

Now the puzzling thing is Mr Z's FD current account consists of 8 numbers and the CC is 16 numbers, as is the norm I believe?

Thanks again

Thanks citizenB,

I think I read about that notice of assignment should be sent by recorded delivery too.

Perhaps we should just send off the CCA request anyway quoting the "customer" number and this alleged account no?

Thanks again

Hello again

After reading alfwithhair’s tragic thread about his friend and this business of the cut up and returned credit card being produced in court, we’re not requesting a CCA (at this stage anyway)!

Looking thoroughly through the FD file, there is a copy of both current account card and credit card (cut up). Mr Z sent the cut up cards back with a letter at their request.

Bear in mind this was a year ago and unfortunately pre CAG!

However, for now, we’ve composed a letter to CL finance to tell them that Mr Z will not correspond with them further until they provide the correct information.

I am now off to check all creditor files to see if Mr Z has sent any other cut up cards back. Fortunately he always retains a copy as with first Direct!

Regards