prescription glasses - rights to return?

lelole
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I recently bought some glasses and sunglasses on a bogof offer at tesco opticians.

The sunglasses were the most expensive pair at £120, the glasses were free at £85.

When I tried the sunglasses on I felt they were quite uncomfortable as they were placing pressure on my head. The lady reassured me that when I recieved the new pair they could be fitted to suit me. I therefore went ahead an chose them as I liked them. The frames in question have wide metal decorative arms.

When I recievd them, I found that they still hurt quite a lot, and also when they were fitting them a piece fell off. They replaced the arm as they had a spare, and fitted as best as they could, and to be fair they seemed to fit quite well, and were no longer pushing on the bones of my head. I was off on holiday the next day so I accepted them on trust.

However, they were a nightmare on holiday - the heavy metal arms rest on my ears now, and become unbearably painful within 20 minutes, they also fall off when I lean forward.

What are my rights? I would definately like my money back as I tried on all of the sunglasses at the time and these were the only ones I liked. I'm not sure if I am entitled, and if I am what the situation is regarding the bogof? Do I have to give both back? Or do I get half my money back (and should I get more than half as the unsuitable ones were £35 more expensive?)

Thanks so much for any help!

Leah x

Hi Leah

You've got me thinking as an industry "Rep" phoned-in on Talksport this morning advising the presenter with the same problem.

He told him to take them back & they would exchange them under an "industry scheme" sorry can't think of the correct term at the minute but one exists).

If that fails then the good old Sales of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) is the one to use (not fit for purpose) - but I think you'll have to return the freebies as well!

Hi - I'm in the position where I will probably be getting a refund today if Specsavers dont get their act sorted out. My thread is on the retail stores forum (other stores) if you wanna have a peep.

the freebies should be returned also but sometimes they can be kept depending on the contract. Usuallt though arguing the case is too much hassle so better to hand them over.

good luck and do let us know how you get on

• 10 months later...
Hi

I recently bought some glasses and sunglasses on a bogof offer at tesco opticians.

The sunglasses were the most expensive pair at £120, the glasses were free at £85.

When I tried the sunglasses on I felt they were quite uncomfortable as they were placing pressure on my head. The lady reassured me that when I recieved the new pair they could be fitted to suit me. I therefore went ahead an chose them as I liked them. The frames in question have wide metal decorative arms.

When I recievd them, I found that they still hurt quite a lot, and also when they were fitting them a piece fell off. They replaced the arm as they had a spare, and fitted as best as they could, and to be fair they seemed to fit quite well, and were no longer pushing on the bones of my head. I was off on holiday the next day so I accepted them on trust.

However, they were a nightmare on holiday - the heavy metal arms rest on my ears now, and become unbearably painful within 20 minutes, they also fall off when I lean forward.

What are my rights? I would definately like my money back as I tried on all of the sunglasses at the time and these were the only ones I liked. I'm not sure if I am entitled, and if I am what the situation is regarding the bogof? Do I have to give both back? Or do I get half my money back (and should I get more than half as the unsuitable ones were £35 more expensive?)

Thanks so much for any help!

Leah x

I have also just received my glasses from Tescos they are variafocals as prescribed the trouble is I cant see my computer clearly I went back to Tesco and the optician said I would have to use my Ready spex That cost me a pound ,while using my computer, I am on the computer 8 hours a day so I have spent £198 on a pair of glasses I can only use for driving about 20 mins a day, Tesco tell me there is nothing they can do just yet because they havent got a manager, as soon as one starts maybe next week they will phone me meanwhilee I am still wearing my pound pair of glasses, should I wait or send them back recorded delivery and contact trading standards? Regards Alex

Issues with frames being unsuitable are legion, but as there is no complaint about the LENSES, a full refund will not be practicable. What normally happens is you are shown an alternative range of frames to match the lenses you already have.

The ONLY time I got a total change, was when Varifocals were made up to the correct prescription, but the 'zones' were for standard use, not someone who uses a VDU often (the 'close' zone is larger). I was able to change the frame to match the replacement lens.