Cabot / CRA New to this Help Needed Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone

I am new to this so will give you the full details as this is doing my head in.

In 1998 I had a breakdown and ended up off work for over a year. My wife and I went to a local council debt councellor and went through all our outgoings and incomings. We were told to pay only the main accounts Mortgage ect which we did and defaulted on all the rest.

The person working with us sent a standard letter to all creditors staing an amount we could pay and an infantry of all our incomings and outgoings.

This was all set up and we continued to pay off everything, my health improved and I changed jobs re-assessing what we were able to pay all the time. Things got better and better and we then re-mortgaged our property and made settlement payments to all the creditors we owed.

In 2005 I received a letter from an unknown company at that point with a telephone number saying someone was going to come to my house to see me. On ringing up it was a company called Cabot Financial who said they were looking to collect a debt from a credit card company. I said I had to check this out and put the telephone down telling them no one should call at my home and all correspondence should be done by post.

I got back in touch with the debt councelling and was told they were trying to harras me and because it was 7 years after the event I should tell them it was statue barred. Cabot were a nasty bunch and becuase I had no joy over the telephone I wrote to them stating these facts and that was that.

I have heard nothing off them since and now have my own business and really feel as though i've got my life back on track. I checked my credit report recently and lo and behold they have put I have defaulted on 2005. This has only just shown this month on my Experian and on checking Equifax its on there too. But with no repayment plan or anything. I telephoned Experian and asked what has gone on and explained what had happened in the past and they said that they should not default the account because it was defaulted in 1998 and you cant be defaulted on the same account twice. They advised me to speak to the financial ombudsman who said because they were not registered under them till o4/07 i should contact the FLA who have told me they are not under them.

I am starting to worry as I have worked very hard to get myself on track and am ultra careful with my accounts ( I have 3 credit cards now ) and all my accounts on my file show no problems no missed or late payments, just this new blemish.

Can they do this to me forever? I am hoping to move to a normal mortgage and want to move my business to a limited company but darnt do anything now i've seen this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi, oknowihope.

Have a look at this thread, might help you some.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/127899-cabot-cra-data-removal.html

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi, oknowihope.

I'll move this thread to the Default Forum, hopefully you'll get more help there.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi oknowihope :)

Cabot are also doing my head in. I've also had breakdowns so I understand how important it is to have all this behind you. They wrote to me recently, lied about sending me a 'hello letter' introducing themselves, they took the full 8 week complaint process to fob me off until their 'final response' - couldn't get any proof of debt whatsoever but 'as a gesture of goodwill' would cease 'collections activity' until they could send me the information I requested from them. Just seen my Experian credit File today and have a new entry - Cabot - 1 month in arrears!

I think MaroonDev's link is excellent, but would also suggest you check the Debt Reference Agencies section of the forum. Cabot have pushed me right to the edge today. As have Experian. Hope you can get this sorted out, can't be any more positive than that right now :)

Edited by sosumi
spelling

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Hi Sosumi

I just can't understand how they can put a default on a statue barred account when I have not entered any agreement with them, not accepted I owe them anythying, and have not heard anything from them since I told them It was statue barred and I was not going to pay anything to them. No default notice ( coz i had one from the cc company in 1998 ) so this is what i'm trying to get some furthur advice on coz the financial ombudsman and other financial leasing Association ( i may have the middle word wrong there ) are both saying they wont deal with it, so i dont know what to do,

Here's a link to the Credit Reference Agencies part of the Forum OKNIH, if you start a new thread there, or just read some of the others if you can. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/credit-reference-agencies/

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)