Can I SAR Southern Water?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a property which was sold in 2006. We had been paying water rates, usually between £150 - 200. After the building was sold, we wrote to Southern Water and asked for a final bill. They eventually sent one for £872.53! We wrote to them asking if this was correct and they said they would check. We gave them the new address to send all correspondance to.

We had heard nothing from them since. Until today that is. A letter from Advantis Credit (have had dealings with this shower in the past - lurvely people!) saying pay or go to court. Incidentally this letter went to our accountants.

So, question is can I SAR Southern Water? I guess I would be looking for meter readings / estimated figures to try and figure out a pattern for the usage.

Thanx

hi kjd

i will save from typing the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/DomesticCustomers/yourAccount/requestCopyBill.asp

go to the link and enter the address you want the bills to be sent for, the address the bills need to go to and the period the bills need to cover.

in 7 to 10 working days you will recieve thecopy bills with the reading on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had already sent my SAR off to S Water. Got a reply back today, with my £10 payment, saying that as the account name was a Ltd company (actually sh not have been but never got round to chaning it) SARs do not apply.

So, BigPete, if I use the link you kindly gave above, do you think they would send me copies of all the bills ever produced for the address, those issued under our name? We owned the property for approx 10 years.

Or does the Ltd bit mean that I can just write and request all our details? I just want them to give me proof of this last bill. I initially emailled them asking them to check if they had got the figures right. Their reply was just 'yes - now pay up'!

Have sent request via link above. However as this is for domestic customers have also sent by the following, which is for business customers:

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/BusinessCustomers/aboutYourBill/requestCopyBill.asp

(Just in case anyone else needs to do the same).

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

received a letter today referring to my request for copy bills (on 25th Sept). "Has there been a change of occupier"? Duh!

so sending letter back explaining full history of property and the fact that we sold it in April 2006. Plus, that they had sent us a final bill which is the one we are querying.

{Sighs}

• 3 weeks later...

Another letter today (bearing in mind I requested copy invoices a month ago) saying just that, account was closed in July 2006. The bill of £872.53 refers to period June - July 2006 - six weeks - and that it for 2702 cubic metres of water consumed during that period!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a bit excessive?! I haven't had a real look on the net yet, but on one stats page it quoted about 50 or so cu mtrs per person per year. Methinks there's been an error.

So, yet again, recorded delivery letter asking for copies of all invoices to be sent asap. Also to call off Advantis Credit as the account is in dispute. Tenancious little beggars!

• 4 weeks later...

Update & result!!

Finally got it in writing from SW today that they confirm we are NOT liable for the bill, as we had sold the building 3 days prior to the date. I had to send several more letters together with proof from the Land Registry site that we had sold the property on 2nd June, with the bill starting from 5th June.

Thank you to all for your advice - and my advice to anyone with a similar problem...

Everything by Recorded Delivery (the CAG mantra!!), and don't take their bog-standard letters at face value. Keep plugging away and eventually you'll get there!

PS Never did get those copy invoices tho...