style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If there is an envelope,:p crush could just be having a laugh to see who is soooooooooooooo desperate to win a pasty :p:rolleyes::D

I don't care if there is an envelope... as long as there is a pasty!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that can't wait and for those that lose. Gans oll an colon vy,

How to make Cornish Pasty:

connie_pic.jpg

connie_welcome.jpg

It is a privilege for me to include my Cornish pasty recipe in the Green Chronicle. I was born in Cornwall which is the last county in the Southwest of Great Britain, surrounded on three sides by the sea. It is a wonderful county, steeped in history and legend with breathtaking scenery. Two of its most famous authors are the late Daphne Du Maurier, who wrote the book Rebecca, and Sir Arthur Quiller Couch who wrote under the nom de plume of Q. One of his best known books is entitled Troy Town and is about the sea port of Fowey where they both lived and where I worked for several years. Cornwall was always a comparatively poor county. The main industries were tin mining (now finished), china clay mining, fishing and agriculture; therefore the food had to be nutritious, economical and cheap. The men folk for the most part needed a packed lunch which would travel well, hence the birth of that most delectable savoury the Cornish pasty. I still make my own most weeks, because it is very difficult to buy a shop pasty that would come anywhere near a Cornish person's high standards.

Cornish Pasty Recipe for 4 Pasties (using a six inch diameter tea plate)

To help you make the pasties, I have some pictures showing the process I take to make my pasties. Just click on the links (e.g. Picture 1) and the picture should pop-up on the screen.

Ingredients for short crust pastry

1lb plain flour

1/2 lb either lard hard margarine or butter or a combination of these

pinch of salt

cold water to mix

(see measure conversions for more information)

Method

Rub the fat into the flour but not too finely. I sometimes cut the fat into small lumps. Add the salt and then start adding the water gradually until it works together into a ball without being sticky. Put aside in a cool place.

Ingredients for filling

3/4 lb beef, not stewing beef

raw potato

raw swede (also known as rutabaga or yellow/swedish turnip - see wikipedia)

small onion

salt and pepper

a walnut sized piece of butter

Method

Cut the steak into small pieces but do not mince. Slice potato and swede into thin, small pieces about half an inch across. Chop onion finely. Dust the work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry to about 1/4 inch thickness. Using a small plate cut out circles (Picture 1 & Picture 2). Moisten the edge with milk or water (Picture 3) and support half of the pastry nearest to you over the rolling pin (Picture 4). On the other half, put a small layer of prepared vegetables then a layer of beef (Picture 5 & Picture 6). Repeat this once but be careful not to have too much filling which would cause the pastry to burst during the cooking process (Picture 7). Sprinkle sparingly with salt and pepper then add a small bit of the butter (Picture 8 & Picture 9). Sprinkle a dusting of flour over the filling (this helps to make the gravy). Fold the other half of pastry which has been resting on the rolling pin over the filling and squeeze the half circle edges firmly together (Picture 10 & Picture 11). Starting at the right side whilst supporting the left side with other hand, using first finger and thumb turn the edge over to form a crimp (Picture 12 & Picture 13). Repeat this process all along the edge (Picture 14). This will come with practice but you must get a good seal. Brush pasty with beaten egg wash to help with browning process and put a small one inch cut in the centre of the top to allow steam to escape (Picture 15, Picture 16 & Picture 17). Bake in a hot oven 220 degrees centigrade for about 20 minutes then reduce temperature to 160 degrees centigrade for a further 40 minutes. Smaller pasties need less time. If they are browning too quickly cover loosely with greased paper.

I hope this recipe helps you create wonderful Cornish Pasties. I am delighted to say that we now have a Forum on The Green Chronicle and part of it is dedicated to the Cornish Pasty and all things Cornish. I would love to hear your stories and questions and see any pictures that you have.

Gans oll an colon vy,

connie_sig.jpg

Edited by kennythecelt
2nd sentence added in Cornish- whatever it means.

Hmmm... how do I get my name to the last one that posts? A subtle picture to bump me to the top and put everyone else of their food...

bump.gif

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww :lol:

Pssst - Crusher I think you are brill ;) here is a little something for you ;);)

100_0004-1.jpg?t=1219676133

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

thats right folks.

win a pasty.

I will lock this thread on a specified time and day that I have written down and put in an envelope.:D

and yes, I'll throw in a bottle of rattler!:D

Oooh anything else you want to throw in?? :D

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .