Ground rent & collection responsibility query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there,

I'm new here and not entirely sure I'm posting this query in the right place, but I'm guessing/hoping someone might be able to help here due to the nature of my query.

I bought my terraced home in Nov 1999 and only upon completion (since the solicitor had omitted to inform me of this) did I realise that I was responsible for not only paying my own ground rent, but for collecting and paying the rents of the other additional 7 properties on my street.

I have done this until now thinking I had no choice, and not even considering taking action against my solicitor for negligence, but I have really come to the end of my tether with it and am hoping for a way out.

Sometimes I don't manage to collect all the ground rents, and I end up paying them myself because it is just easier than keep knocking on the doors!

Also, the management agent issues the demand for the ground rents haphazardly, meaning often the bill is for around 3 years worth of ground rent, for all 8 homes including mine. It still isn't vast sums of money, but I don't see why I should end up paying for those who don't pay.

And ultimately, I'm finding my 'unpaid job' a little tiresome when there are so many other things going on that provide enough stress in life!

I have had enough of knocking on the doors of all my neighbours to collect monies I don't always receive, and have a current bill waiting to be paid.

I know I should have gone down the negligence route on the solicitor's part years ago and that time is passed - but wondering if anyone has any idea of what might be a possible way out for me?

Can you post the exact term in your lease regarding this?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!