• Tweets

• Good afternoon,    I am writing in reference to the retail dispute number ****, between myself and Newton Autos concerning the sale of a Toyota Avensis which has been found to have serious mechanical faults.    As explained previously the car was found to be faulty just six days after purchase. The car had numerous fault codes that appeared on the dash board and went into limp mode. This required assistance from the AA and this evidence has already been provided. The car continues to exhibit these faults and has been diagnosed as having faults with the fuel injectors which will require major mechanical investigation and repairs.    Newton Autos did not make me aware of any faults upon purchase of the vehicle and sold it as being in good condition.    Newton Autos have also refused to honour their responsibilities under The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which requires them to refund the customer if the goods are found to be faulty and not fit for purpose within 30 days of purchase.    Newton Autos also refused to accept my rejection of the vehicle and refused to refund the car and accept the return of the vehicle.    It is clear to me that the car is not fit for purpose as these mechanical faults occurred so soon after purchase and have been shown to be present by both the AA and an independent mechanic.   Kind regards
    • Commercial Landlords are legally allowed to sue for early cancellation of the lease. You can only surrender your lease if your landlord agrees to your doing so. They are under no obligation even to consider your request and are entitled to refuse. You cannot use this as an excuse not to pay your rent. Your landlord is most likely to agree to your surrendering the lease if they want the property back in order to redevelop it, or if they wants to rent it to what they regards as a better tenant or at a higher rent. There are two types of surrender: Express surrender in writing. This is a written document which sets out the terms of the surrender. Implied surrender by conduct. (applies to your position) You can move out of the property you leased, simply hand your keys back and the lease will come to an end, but only if the landlord agrees to accept your surrender. Many tenants have thought they can simply post the keys through the landlord's letter box and the lease is ended. This is not true and without a document from the landlord, not only do you not know if the landlord has accepted the surrender, you also do not know on what basis they have accepted and could find they sue you for rent arrears, service charge arrears, damage to the property and compensation for your attempt to leave the property without the landlord's agreement. Unless you are absolutely certain that the landlord is agreeable to your departure, you should not attempt to imply a surrender by relying on your and the landlord's conduct.  
    • I had to deal with these last year worst DCA I have ever dealt with. Just wait for the constant threats of CCJ and how you'll lose in court and how they won't do mediation and they want the judge to question you with a load of "BIG" words to boot with the letter. My case was struck out in the end, stupidity on their part as I admitted to owing the debt in the end going through the court process was just a formality as they wouldn't let it drop despite me admitting the debt regardless. They didn't send the last part of the court paper work in so it ended up being struck out     .
    • Well, that's it then. Clear proof of the rubbish cameras. Clear proof of double dipping. G24 won't be getting a penny. Belt & braces, I would write to the address LFI has found, include the evidence of double dipping, and ask Fraser Group to call their dogs off.
    • LOL. after sending Perch capital a CCA request with a stapled £1 PO attached (x2) Their lapdog Legal team TM Legal have sent me two letters today saying "due to a recent payment on the account, your account is open to legal/enforcement action" so i guess they have tried to apply that payment to the account to run the statue bar along. dirty tactics lol.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

EOS/Weightmans claimform - old Grattan PLC CAT debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Be strong Little E !! sit down and have a coffee or something stronger....the fact that they haven't got your CCA is a complete defence....they have to provide you the paperwork you have asked for....and if Weightmans want to carry on with this then the CPR means they HAVE to get it, you have done all that is reasonable to get the CCA, the CPR means they have to comply.....

Keep us posted, and as mentioned before keep an eye on the timescales...give me a shout 3 days before the 28 days is up....

Be strong Little E !! sit down and have a coffee or something stronger....the fact that they haven't got your CCA is a complete defence....they have to provide you the paperwork you have asked for....and if Weightmans want to carry on with this then the CPR means they HAVE to get it, you have done all that is reasonable to get the CCA, the CPR means they have to comply.....

Keep us posted, and as mentioned before keep an eye on the timescales...give me a shout 3 days before the 28 days is up....

A most warm thank you 42man for your response. I am going for that coffee now. ;)

Well the court has sent a letter today acknowledging receipt of my defence. I guess that means now I just sit tight til time to send my my papers and read as much as I can.

I just again wanted to say thank you to everyone here for their help as I would be completely lost and sticking my head in the sand so to speak and completely avoiding the issue if it wasn't for this website.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, I was getting a bit anxious about the time scales so called Northampton to ask when I have to have my defence in by and the nice lady said I had already filed a defence. :???: I didn't realize I had. Apparently it was only a few lines just saying I was defending all of the claim due to the fact I previously requested a CCA and that they are in default for non complaince of a CCA request. I thought I would get to fill out a more complete one closer to the time and would be sending in a full defence at a later date.

I feel a bit ill now. What do I do now if anything to sort this out? Or can I sort this out?

Just saying I was defending all of the claim due to the fact I previously requested a CCA and that they are in default for non complaince of a CCA request. I honestly thought I would get to fill out a more complete one closer to the time and would be sending in a full defence at a later date.

Firstly don't worry....send this to the courts ASAP....

Put the case name / number up here....

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Defence (addendum)

1. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.
  2. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -
  3. The claimants’ particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 18. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

1. The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any default notices issued or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant’s claim.
    2. A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form.
    3. A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the claim form.
    4. [*]Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and do not know what case I have to meet

[*]Further to the case, on (date you sent your CPR18 request) I requested the disclosure of information pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, which is vital to this case from the claimant. The information requested amounted to copies of the Credit Agreement referred to in the particulars of claim and any default or termination notices, a transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, alleged repayments by myself and payments made by the original creditor. Also any other documents the Claimant seeks to rely on, including any default notices or termination notice, and a list of charges applied to the account.

[*]To Date the claimant has ignored my request under the CPR, which was received and signed for by the claimant on (date they received your CPR18 request) and I have not received any such documentation requested. As a result it has proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested

[*]The courts attention is drawn to the fact that the without disclosure of the requested documentation pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules I have not yet had the opportunity to assess if the documentation the claimant claims to be relying upon to bring this action even contains the prescribed terms required in Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) which was amended by Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482). The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1. The defendant has also sent a formal request under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a copy of my consumer credit agreement this was sent to (name) This was received by them on the (date they received it) To date this legal request has not been complied with and they are now in default of my request.

1. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point 7 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127(3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the consumer credit act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced
            2. Notwithstanding points 7 and 8, any such agreements must be signed in the prescribed manner by both debtor and creditor. If such a document is not signed by the debtor the document cannot be enforced by way of section 127(3) Consumer Credit Act 1974
            3. The claimant is therefore put to strict proof that such a compliant document exists
            4. It is neither admitted or denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant.
            5. Notwithstanding point 11, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)
            6. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but would also give rise to a potential counterclaim for damages where damage occurs to my credit rating (Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society - [1996] 4 All ER 119)
            7. Without Disclosure of the relevant requested documentation I am unable to assess if I am indeed liable to the claimant, nor am I able to assess if the alleged agreement is properly executed, contains the required prescribed terms, or correct figures to make such an agreement enforceable by virtue of s127 Consumer Credit Act 1974
            8. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant’s statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 18.
            9. Alternatively, I respectfully request a stay in proceedings until such time as the claimant complies with the requests outlined in paragraph 5 above or until the court orders its compliance with the same. I will then be in a position to file a fully particularised defence and counterclaim and will seek the courts permission to amend my statement of case accordingly.

17. In addition it is drawn to the courts attention that schedule 3, s11 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 prevents s15 repealing s127 (3) of the 1974 Act for agreements made before s15 came into effect since the agreement is alleged to have commenced before 6th April 2007 the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is the relevant act in this case.

Statement of Truth

I, believe the above statement to be true and factual

1. Number of repayments;
        2. Amount of repayments;
        3. Frequency and timing of repayments;
        4. Dates of repayments;
        5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable
    Edited by 42man
    • Haha 1

You obviously went straight ahead and after acknowledging the claim, filled out the defence.....

NO worries....print out FILL IN THE DATES....and send ASAP...take it to the courts if necessary....

Do you know when the defence deadline is ?

(31 days after the date of the original claim)

I can't make any promises Little E....but this is a standard defence (with a little editing) that is usually used when they can't produce the paperwork....

Keep us posted....and PM me if you need anything else...

• 3 weeks later...

Well yesterday was the last day Weightmans had to respond to my defence and I called Northampton to check the status and as of right now the case is stayed. The lady on the phone from NCC said the solicitors seemed to be very disorganized. :rolleyes: But they will have to pay out costs to get it moving again so we shall see how it goes. Does anyone know how much it costs to get the stay lifted? Just curious as I like the thought of them paying added money. :grin:

• 1 month later...

Well, now there is more to this drama. As far as I'm aware the court case is still stayed, however I will check tomorrow to be sure because yesterday I received a letter from Grattan to notify me that the balance of the account has been sold to Actio F. GMBH and they will now be responsible for collecting the money due on the account and they have decided to leave the account under control of EOS Solutions.

So I have a few questions about this. The court case is with Grattan, does this mean the new owners of the account will have to start up their own action if they wish to take me to court or can they somehow just get the name on the case changed? Also I cannot seem to find any info on this Actio F. GMBH can anyone point me in the right direction there? I CCA'd everyone in regards to this case ages ago, but never had a response, I thought the account couldn't be passed on while it was in dispute? Where do I go from here?

Also I just wanted to say thank you to this group because with all the things going on in our lives like my husband being made redundant the other week, to creditors calling, we've finally dug our heads out of the sand and are making a stand. And it feels good. :D

Edited by little_evo

Thanks 42man for moving this for me. I did call up the court and the case is still stayed and has been since September, I thought I had read where I should wait for about three months before trying to strike out the claim. I just not sure what I should do if anything. Anyone else have any idea? Thank you for all your help.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your help desk has informed me that my case has been stayed due to the fact that the Claimant has failed to contact yourselves within 28 days after receiving my defence.

On the XXXX 2008 I requested under the Civil Procedure rules that the claimant furnish me with certain information (see attached letter) which would prove that they had the legal right to undertake Court action against myself with respect to the alleged debt as well as to permit me to submit an appropriate defence, to this date I have received nothing from the claimant.

In light of the fact that the claimant has failed to contact yourselves within the prescribed time period and has failed to provide me with the Statutory required proof that they can undertake Court action against me with regards to the alleged debt I respectfully request that the Court Strikes the Claim out.

Hi Little

I wouldnt worry too much about Actio F or whoever they are, It looks like a German company anyhow. But doesnt show on searching it.

You've already put the account into dispute as 42Man has said, His letter to the court should get something moving one way or tother

• Haha 1

• dx100uk changed the title to EOS/Weightmans claimform - old Grattan PLC CAT debt