Anyone know about replacement window/door prices and if this is good or not ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5756 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine needs some new windows & doors and has been quoted a price for the following work :

A new front door, including side panel; single pane of glass in side panel

Removal of old front door, including side panel

Removal of external porch front door and side panel (not being replaced)

A new back door, with a cat flap fitted

A new kitchen window of average size, single opening

Two small living room windows, single opening on each

The price is approx. £2,495

Does this sound reasonable ? :confused:.... I haven't a clue, but know that doors are normally in the region of around £600 each.

Sounds good to me too, but you know the score P1, make sure your friend gets a proper written quote, listing any variables and why they might occur, the cat flap shouldnt cost any more that £20, unless the bottom half of the door is glass, that is what pushes the price up because it is a normal flap flap (as my daughter used to say :-))

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Id also recommend getting more than one quote and check the company out that you go with there are websites that recommend good trades people there is one that advertises on tv that i would not recommend for which Ive seen and heard of too many bad stories ill mention no names but I'm sure you know who i mean.

Regards

Leon

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

As said get several quotes. Preferably from companies that have done work in your area, based on recommendation- perhaps ask neighbours in similar house types who did their work.

All work must comply with Building regs- specifically fire safety aspect- means of escape.

Your LA may have a trusted trader scheme- ask trading standards. If the person is elderly, there may be the possibility of a housing/ improvement grant- try searching for "care and repair".

Thanks for all the replies... it's really appreciated :). The company has traded in the area for the past 15-20 years (something like that) and the guy who gave the quote didn't do any hard selling... he just worked it all out and left my friend with the figures (I was there).

I know she should go for at least 3 quotes, but this work needs to be done quite urgently because both the front and back doors swell up in the rain... and the kitchen window has fungus on it :eek:. She doesn't qualify for any help with it, but has the funds to pay, so that's ok.....

There is another company that's also been trading around these parts for years, but they're more expensive on the doors... so I'm assuming they'll be more expensive with everything else as well.

I can remember having a hard-selling salesman in my own living room some years ago (probably one of those "well known" companies :rolleyes:)....who gave me a ridiculously high quote for 3 replacement windows.... and then was an absolute b*gger to get rid of when I said I'd get back to him..... :mad:

I'll see what she wants to do.... it is all going to be UVPC stuff, yes.... but it's looking quite positive so far.

:)

Hiya P1

We had nearly our whole house done by a company based here in the north west and we are really pleased with the work. No hard selling and top notch workmanship. It cost us just over £4,000 for upvc bay windows front top & bottom, windows back, windows hall stairs & landing and a new upvc & glass porch and porch door. I did put a recommendation on this site soon after we had it done under the forum for good tradesmen so you might find it there - but if you can't find it feel free to pm me and I'll give you their name (they are based in Bury, Greater Manchester but are supposed to be expanding nationwide).

Hope you are keeping well :)

Love SG x

• Haha 1

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

Thank for that SG :D.... sounds like you got a great deal with them :eek: !! I'll go take a look and see if I can find them, although my friend seems to want to go with the chap from yesterday. For 3 windows, 2 doors, 1 side panel, cat flap installation and a front porch knockout.... it doesn't sound too bad.

I'm trying to compare like for like with what you had done (as far as possible). How many windows did you get for that price ? The doors round here seem to vary from between £595 - £700, with a small discount for having more than one.... and having the windows at the same time means my friend only pays for the one job, so time/labour, etc. is reduced, rather than splitting the job and calling them back at a later date.

:)

How many windows did you get for that price ?

Well we had the bay windows front top and bottom, the big windows back top and bottom, a smaller window at the front top, then 2 round the side (hall stairs and landing) and a bathroom window....plus the porch as I said....so very good.

Tell your friend good luck, and yes to definitely get a few quotes.

We had it all done at the same time too!

Love SG x

Edited by spiritgirl59
Forgot a bit!

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.

thats really good SG, we had 11 windows fitted, the patio doors and the front door and it cost us £8,450, dont ask me why we never got the backdoor and smaller window in the kitchen done at the same time :confused:

honey x

thats really good SG, we had 11 windows fitted, the patio doors and the front door and it cost us £8,450, dont ask me why we never got the backdoor and smaller window in the kitchen done at the same time :confused:

honey x

Honey

Why did you not get the backdoor and and smaller window in the kitchen done at the same time?:lol::lol:

Kenny x