MBNA won't accept written correspondence only...

lexis200
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I've been a lurker for a while, but I'm taking the plunge for the first time, so please be gentle with me:)

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice/legal knowledge here...

Basically, I've just started trying to negotiate a payment plan for my OH with MBNA for his c/c. I've done this with all of my creditors without hassle, all of whom are happy to only write rather than phone (well, 'happy' may be a bit of an overstatement, but they're doing it:rolleyes:)

Anyway, I sent off a letter at the end of last month along with his income/expenditure, a pro-rata offer of payment and a very clear statement that I would not discuss this over the phone. On the 10th of this month I had a letter saying they'd had a review of his account, that it was now restricted, and to send back his card (which hasn't actually been used for months anyway) and to phone them to 'discuss' his account.

I wrote back on the same day in his name, explaining that I wanted to keep everything in writing so it was all in black and white etc, but have been getting phone calls today. Two were just recorded messages saying to phone them, but the third one my OH picked up because the number was withheld. Without going through any security questions, the bloke from MBNA (who annoyingly we didn't get the name of) started out with 'I know you said in your letter you only want to write, but if you want us to help you and set up a repayment plan you'll have to talk to us on the phone'.

My OH told him he wanted everything in writing, but just kept getting told if he wanted help they needed to discuss the payment plan, his financial details and the offered level of payments. At this point my OH told him he really shouldn't be saying this as he didn't know who he was, hadn't gone through any security questions and could well be talking to anyone - precisely the reason he wanted things in writing only. He was just told that he was only talking about things raised in the letter.

My questions are...

Did he breach Data Protection by not going through security but still discussing the account, and do we really have to organise this over the phone rather than in writing (something I've always been really loathe to do as they always try and bully you into more than you can afford)?

Also, how many phonecalls in a day constitutes harrasment?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this so that my OH knows exactly what to say next time they phone. We really do need to get this plan set up, but really don't want to phone them to do it!

Thanks in advance

Lexis200

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi lexis

Welcome to CAG.

Quick answers (OH just called me for tea) Yes, they have breached the DPA 1998.

How mayny phone calls conestitutes harassment - under the Protection frokm Harassment Act 1997, as many as a reasonable person would consider harassment.

Have a look at my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/152149-volunteer-wanted.html

Quick answers (OH just called me for tea)

Aren't you well looked after :p

Lexis - there is a formal template re telephone harrassment here.

How old is this credit card?

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

Hi again

Thanks everyone for your answers - I thought it was a bit iffy so I'm very glad it's not just me being paranoid!

The last post is pretty much how I feel, although bogoff is rather less than I'd like to say to them:p

I'll have a look at the harassment letter tomorrow and probably slip in a little something about discussing the account without going through any security measures too.

Hopeful1 - the card is pretty old; probably 7 years+. Does that make any difference?

Thanks for the link Steven, I'll check that out tomorrow too when I'm a bit more compus:)

Hi again

Thanks everyone for your answers - I thought it was a bit iffy so I'm very glad it's not just me being paranoid!

The last post is pretty much how I feel, although bogoff is rather less than I'd like to say to them:p

I'll have a look at the harassment letter tomorrow and probably slip in a little something about discussing the account without going through any security measures too.

Hopeful1 - the card is pretty old; probably 7 years+. Does that make any difference?

Thanks for the link Steven, I'll check that out tomorrow too when I'm a bit more compus:)

lexis,

If I were you I would send off the CCA letter to find out if what they've got is enforceable - you can find it in the templates section. When they send you the documents, scan them up here and let people have a look (don't forget to block out personal details). It will cost you a £1 postal order. There is always a very good chance with MBNA that they won't have an enforceable agreement. If that is the case you are then in the driving seat.

Regards.

Fred

• Haha 1

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Hi Lexis

Fred knows exactly what i'm thinking :rolleyes:

If MBNA do not have a copy of a properly executed agreement, they have no legal right to enforce the debt. In other words they cannot chase or harrass you / your other half.

Now, the debt does not go away, it still exists. You would be within your legal rights not to pay at all. I, however, have used a lack of agreement to negotiate payments i can afford or full and final settlements. My view is that i have used money and i am happy to repay that, but i will not be harrassed or pay ridiculous charges.

Basically, without an agreement the ball is in your court.

Be sure not to sign anything you send.

Send all letters recorded / special delivery and keep the receipts.

Have a look here - it's the link to the letter templates that Fred has directed you to. The letter you need is letter N.

Have a look around the MBNA forum, many, many others have taken the same route ;)

• Haha 1

Hello Lexis200!

Further to the good advice above, I'd suggest that you start to keep a Log of any Calls that you do receive. Keep an accurate Clock near the Phone (Wrirst Watch is fine if Accurate), and get into the habit of noting down all Calls.

If you do happen to get caught out on the Phone, as this can happen, get into the habit of always saying:

"Hello, who is calling please?"

This is good advice generally, as it's never wise to say your name and number to a complete stranger. The old days of answering with your name are now gone, the only appropriate time to use name/number is when taking a Business Call.

OK, if it's a banker, then all you need to get from them on the Phone is their name.

Why?

Because the Police will not Prosecute for Harassment unless they have names, as they won't Prosecute a Company.

So, if caught on the Phone, just tease out their name, and then hang up. How you do that is up to you, but my own suggestion is to kill them with Sugar Lumps and Kindness until you get that vital snippet of information, then end the Call. For example:

"OK, I'll answer your Security Questions if you tell me your Full Name, as I like to know who I'm talking to. Please also let me know the Full Name of the Manager there who asked you to Call, just so that I can cross-reference that with my Letters."

Once you get that then, when they say:

"am I talking to Mrs Lexis200?"

You reply:

"Sorry, I cannot tell you, as we never discuss anything like that on the Telephone. Goodbye, and have a nice Day."

The Police will Prosecute a Manager/Director/CEO, even if they have not Called you. All they need is evidence that a number of his/her Staff called you. That stops the Manager/Director/CEO from saying it was just one rogue Employee.

The key is, don't tell them who you are, and make sure any information goes only your way and not theirs. Ensure you become like a Telephone Information Black Hole as far as the MBNA or any banker is concerned.

Ideally, try to find a way to Record any Calls, as then you will be in a position to record anything they do say, and also any abuse or silly Threats they make...not to mention any tasty Data Protection Act 1998 gaffs they elect to perform for you!

Once you have a small series of Logged Harassment Calls with Full Names to go with them, then get in touch with the Police, who will then step in to help. My local Police were quite happy to Call any bank that was bothering me, but I have asked them to hold fire until I have sufficient evidence in terms of names (I have over 1,000 Calls Logged so far, next stage is to get as many names as I can before shoving this all up a banker).

The above is your First Line of Defence against the Black Arts of the MBNA.

Your Second Line of Defence is, as Fred and Hopeful1 have pointed out, Section 78(1) of the Consumer Protection Act 1874. Send them a suitable Letter, such as the Letter N already mentioned.

Obviously, don't include your Telephone Number on the Letter, and don't Sign it...just Print your Name. This is just to make sure you do not hand them a nice crisp example of your Signature. Don't want it re-appearing on an Agreement you have never seen before!

Same reason why you only send a £1 Postal Order, as that does not need your Signature either, and has no bank account details they can log and use against you in some way.

Your Third Line of Defence is CAG! Once you have the MBNA under control via Telephone and s78 CCA Request, just keep coming back to here with anything they Write to you, as I can assure you there will be a long queue of people here more than willing to help you.

No matter what they send, it is never as dark or as bad as it first seemed once we have all had a good look and put things back into perspective for you.

Stand by for a flood of silly Letters, Postcards, Threats, and lurid Pink Pig Letters (you'll know what that is when you see one)!

Good luck with your battle.

Cheers,

BRW

• Haha 2

Thank you everyone! You are all complete stars!

I've just done the CCA for my OH ready to go in the post on Monday (with a digital signature which is what I've been putting on his letters since starting to ask banks for things, as suggested by lots of people on here - told you I'd been lurking:D). Everything I send goes Recorded.

I did sit and type out another letter regarding the payment plan, again stating no phone calls. I also asked for their formal complaints procedure as a result of the bloke from MBNA talking about his account without going through security. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do though - would you suggest sending that as well as the CCA? I kind of wanted to as I thought if they start playing silly bu**ers it at least shows my OH has tried his best to sort something out amicably, but if anyone thinks it's best to just CCA them please shout!

I am keeping a phone log, and I just can't believe my OH didn't get his name. Honestly, he always used to drill that into me as we had a nightmare with salesmen calling and needed to know names for complaints, and this is the first time ever that I've known him not ask who it was! Typical. I will ask him to sort out something for recording phone calls though in case he picks up to them again by mistake (I wish we'd had recording stuff on for him telling us he didn't need to go through security, but never mind).

Thank you for your support as well... like most of the people on here it seems, our problems were thrust on us rather than caused by us, and to just have people say they've been through it and not make you feel sub-human is great. I was very down about our debt, but since reading on here I've become much more brave and a little more upbeat (although to date I've only sent out 1 CCA out of about 10 just to test the water:rolleyes:). That's why I'm doing all this rather than my OH - I'm the one who's read hundreds of pages of advice/cases etc on here (it's amazing how quickly a school day goes when you're into a thread!), while he's working like mad to get a bit of money up to get us out of the pit we're in.

I'll wait to see if anyone has any comments about sending the payment plan/request for complaint procedure letter, but I'll definitely get the CCA out on Monday and keep my fingers crossed!

I did sit and type out another letter regarding the payment plan, again stating no phone calls. I also asked for their formal complaints procedure as a result of the bloke from MBNA talking about his account without going through security. I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do though - would you suggest sending that as well as the CCA? I kind of wanted to as I thought if they start playing silly bu**ers it at least shows my OH has tried his best to sort something out amicably, but if anyone thinks it's best to just CCA them please shout!

I lexis, i would certainly send the 2nd letter. If you are offering payment and they are not accepting your offer, make the payments anyway. If they allow the money to stay in the account they are as good as accepting the offer.

By asking for the complaints procedure (at this stage don't say what you'll be complaining about) it shows you mean business ;-)

Also, are their many charges on the account?

I'm glad you're feeling better about all this. It's horrendous struggling with money, but it's amazing how empowering it is to know that you have rights and can't be waked over / threatened / harrassed.

Best wishes :)

Thanks Hopeful1, I'll get that out at the same time as the CCA then.

It's actually the 3rd time I'll have requested the payment plan, and I have to be honest - I did tell hubbie to cancel the d/d he had going and set up a standing order for the pro-rata amount we worked out and offered. It was either that or not pay others who had agreed to the plan (which I felt was not right to do), and I was just hoping that would be the best way to go about it. Since finding CAG, I kind of got to the point where I figured we don't have the money, so they can stamp all they like as they can't take what we don't have - even if it went to court! Having said that though I am a bit 'all mouth and no trousers':rolleyes: - I'll say this today, then something will happen tomorrow and I'll be stressing out big time again thinking they can come and take the cat or something.:-D

I had written in the letter about the bloke not asking any security details (and asked for his name which I figured they must have on the notes?) - but it looks like you think I should leave that out and just ask for the complaints procedure with no reason given. Do you think that would have a better effect?

About the charges - my OH did the whole S.A.R thing on them about 18 months ago so I doubt there's much there now (apart obviously from the stuff they'll no doubt lump on for the last 3 weeks or so). I'd have to check statements to make sure, but I think it's been kept up to date pretty well. Seeing as it's not been used for quite a while there's not really any reason for anything to have been done...I hope!

Hello Lexis!

Further to Hopeful1's further good advice, another self-help issue that I do think does help, is to sit down with all of your Statements and see if you can outline to yourself what this alleged Debt is actually made up of.

A Spreadsheet is handy, or something like Microsoft Money.

Go back through your Statements, and start from Day One. Re-Categorise all Charges, Interest and Payments you made, expenditure is less important, so all your own spending can just be called Spending.

Every time they added Interest, make a note what that Interest Rate was. Split out Charges into anything Valid, like, say, an Annual Fee, and also split out all the others, especially the Unlawful ones like Over-Limit or Late Penalty Charges. These are all Important, so slot them into their own Sections.

That done, this is something I said to someone else on CAG:

Have a good look at your Card Statements, and start to add up the big numbers:

A = Total Purchases (not including Interest, Penalty Charges and Fees).

B = Total Interest.

C = Total Penalties.

D = Total Fees and other Charges like Credit Card Cheque Handling Fees.

E = Total Repayments.

Take a look at A and E. I bet you have Paid them more than you have Spent. If so, then they have their Money back already.

Now add up B+C+D. Add that to A, and then take away E. The figure is the outstanding Debt on your Card.

In most people's case, that Debt is made up almost totally of charges.

If you now look at all the Interest Charges, see if you can see when the Rate was Changed, and see if that relates to a new Limit? Many people have seen these bankers raise a Card's Interest Rate, and then a Month or so later, Raise the Card's Limit! Why increase the Rate suggesting you are a bad risk, then give you more money to spend?

I would hazard a guess that they raised your Limit a few times?

I also bet they raised your Interest Rates a few times?

By now you should have a clearer picture of this alleged Debt, and you may be feeling a little annoyed by now to see how they have manipulated the way this Debt has built up.

If you have had the Card for a long time, then whilst you may have spent a lot of money, you will now see that you have also Paid back at least as much. Very often, the "Spent" is less than the "Paid Back", thus the Debt you are now faced with may be just the grand total of all of that Interest and all of those Charges.

IF they have an Enforceable Agreement, then you will be forced to re-pay those Charges.

But, what if they don't?

What if, despite their Teams of Lawyers, they were someone too greedy and too arrogant to actually comply with the Law?

If they don't have an Agreement, then do you really want to climb into their Debt Hamster Wheel and go back to Paying them lots and lots of Money to top up their Profits?

My point is that you must be sure there is a Debt worth Paying. You may find that the Debt you thought you owed, is actually a Debt they have encouraged you to create. It may not be a Debt all of your own making.

Once you have looked at the breakdown of the alleged Debt, I suspect that you will find it much easier to deal with these bankers and fight for your Rights.

If they have to write off the remaining alleged Debt, no tears will be lost for them, as all they have lost is the charges and interest they had no Right to charge without creating an Enforceable Agreement at the very outset. That was all they had to do right, and the Consumer Cedit Act 1974 was there to remind them what needed to be done, and they had Teams of Lawyers on tap to make sure they got it right.

You, on the other hand, did not. It was their Agreement, it was not one you created.

The sadly ironic thing is, IF they end up writing off the Debt, they will just set that off againt Tax! It's more or less a Win-Win situation for them, so pity for a banker is seldom ever due.

The main point of doing this, is when some banker, DCA, bank-lawyer or hostile Judge says:

"Well, do you deny this Debt?...you spent it, so you owe it."

You can come back with:

"Well, actually, that's not quite the true picture, here are my detailed figures, so let me explain the actual position..."

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

I had written in the letter about the bloke not asking any security details (and asked for his name which I figured they must have on the notes?) - but it looks like you think I should leave that out and just ask for the complaints procedure with no reason given. Do you think that would have a better effect?

I usually just ask for their complaints procedure, then when i receive it, i clearly state in my 1st letter, that i am making a formal complaint in accordance with their procedure. Companies have to respond. Also, if you get to the point where you want to take your complaint to Trading Standards or others, they like to see you have given the company the chance to resolve the issue.

Thanks for the click too ;)

Thanks again for all the advice, it's giving me a he** of a lot more confidence in dealing with them than I ever would have otherwise.

I'll get the letter changed and sent off tomorrow along with the CCA, then I guess it's just a case of wait and see (oh, and obviously field annoying phone calls:rolleyes:)

BRW - that's a very interesting point. I've not thought about it like that before. I'll be getting hubby to do that for this one seeing as it's his, and he can do some work towards it! I'll also do it for my 2 Lloyds cards (the worst of my lot size wise, and then they went and doubled my interest rate when I hadn't had any problems with the accounts!:mad:) I'd be very interested to see what I've actually paid them over the last 6/7 years, especially seeing as in the last few months the minimum payment was less than the interest charged. They did however agree to my payment offers quickly, so I can't fault them there.

Anyway, I'm off to get my statements now. Well actually I'm off to ask my OH to go and get them as I don't fancy rooting around in the loft:D

Okie dokie - amended letter and CCA sent off yesterday. The CCA has been signed for but the letter hasn't reached them yet.

Also, despite me telling 'Mr McGrath' twice already that I was having to reduce my payments even though they haven't replied to say yes, OH had a letter today from him informing him that his last payment wasn't received which 'maybe an oversight'. Doh!!!

I know these are completely generic letters, but you'd think they'd at least change who it's from so it vaguely looks like they're taking some notice of what you say!

Hubbie is going to look at his statements at the weekend, but I have a niggly feeling I may have to do SAR's for my Lloyds ones as I don't think I have them going back to the beginning of the account.

That's it for now though. It's just wait and see on both the letter and the CCA. Cross fingers for me:D

Hello again

Just a little update...

I sent the third letter on the 21st, requesting

a) payment plan

b) letter contact only

c) formal complaints procedure:mad:

I also stated that as I had asked twice already, this was my third and last time of requesting no phone calls, and any more would be logged and classed as harassment.

I also sent a CCA, but I have a really horrible feeling I left the £1 out. Not sure what to do there, whether to wait for a bit or re-send and maybe double up on the request. If I do that though, do I start the timescales again:confused:

My OH has also received his statement, showing d/d payment to them as declined (I did tell them this would happen twice!), and then adding on late charges, returned payment charges, and we can charge you because we feel like it charges. Well maybe not the last one:D

Well, as expected, he's had no reply regarding the payment offer, although the standing order for the amount offered has been paid on his account. Am I right in thinking this means technically it's classed as them accepting the offer?

We've also had 3 calls today (the first since the 17th, but he is now behind on the minimums so I'm expecting this to increase). So far neither of us are answering (it's always the recorded 'this is an important call from MBNA for Mr Lexis200', so we have time to hang up). We are logging time, date, and whether it was a human or not though (so far no humans thank goodness!)

I've just set hubby onto getting a recorder for the phone, and when that arrives we'll both start taking calls and trying to get them to break Data Protection again etc. Until we have the recorder (and as such can prove anything said), neither of us fancy talking to them!!

I was also wondering, is there a set timescale for giving details of their formal complaints procedure? I specifically asked for it in the last letter, and that was received by them on the 23rd.

I'm going to write again regarding both the phone calls and the payment plan still not being set up, but I'll leave it to the end of the week, so that they've had a bit longer to respond.

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom for me I'd be very glad to see them:)

Thanks again x

ps - if anyone is reading the various posts from me on here, I should point out I'm doing some and hubby is doing others. I suddenly realised it looks a bit weird that we're on the same username, but I refer to 'my OH' here, then he's got a thread going where it's him talking:D

I also sent a CCA, but I have a really horrible feeling I left the £1 out. Not sure what to do there, whether to wait for a bit or re-send and maybe double up on the request. If I do that though, do I start the timescales again:confused:

If they've given no indication that they've received it, i would feel more comfortable re-sending, so that i know i have made a correct, formal request. It's best to use postal orders and send everything recorded / special delivery. Keep all the receipts.

My OH has also received his statement, showing d/d payment to them as declined (I did tell them this would happen twice!), and then adding on late charges, returned payment charges, and we can charge you because we feel like it charges. Well maybe not the last one:D You're probably not far wrong there!

Well, as expected, he's had no reply regarding the payment offer, although the standing order for the amount offered has been paid on his account. Am I right in thinking this means technically it's classed as them accepting the offer?

Yes you're right. Keep making those payments now you've started. If / when you make any formal complaints it puts you in a VERY good light.

We've also had 3 calls today (the first since the 17th, but he is now behind on the minimums so I'm expecting this to increase). So far neither of us are answering (it's always the recorded 'this is an important call from MBNA for Mr Lexis200', so we have time to hang up). We are logging time, date, and whether it was a human or not though (so far no humans thank goodness!)

I've just set hubby onto getting a recorder for the phone, and when that arrives we'll both start taking calls and trying to get them to break Data Protection again etc. Until we have the recorder (and as such can prove anything said), neither of us fancy talking to them!!

I was also wondering, is there a set timescale for giving details of their formal complaints procedure? I specifically asked for it in the last letter, and that was received by them on the 23rd.

I would have thought 2 weeks would be ample time. Their procedure should then tell you what the time scales are for responding to the complaints you make.

I'm going to write again regarding both the phone calls and the payment plan still not being set up, but I'll leave it to the end of the week, so that they've had a bit longer to respond.

If anyone has any pearls of wisdom for me I'd be very glad to see them:)

When dealing with my hubby's card, i emailed a million and one different people at MBNA. When i have chance i will look for the posts with a load of email addies in - they were posted by Dpick i think (another MBNA lurver....not!)

Thanks again x

ps - if anyone is reading the various posts from me on here, I should point out I'm doing some and hubby is doing others. I suddenly realised it looks a bit weird that we're on the same username, but I refer to 'my OH' here, then he's got a thread going where it's him talking:D

I wasn't confused, but am now :p

Excellent, I see I'm clear as mud with my 'ps' then:lol:

Thanks for all the advice. I was a bit stumped about the CCA - I didn't know whether it would cock things up if I re-sent, but if it won't I'll get one out again today/tomorrow. I did do one to Blair Oliver and Scott which I actually remembered the PO in, I'm just kicking myself that I may have forgotten to add it this time:(

Again, I was iffy about the payments bit, so thanks for that.

OH had a letter from a Steve Bailey yesterday, funnily enough, (another head of something or other - do they not have any minions to do this stuff;)) telling him they are 'currently investigating his complaint'. This is slightly odd, considering I didn't actually make a complaint, I just asked for details of their procedure. My complaint was them talking about his account without finding out who he was, and I haven't actually mentioned that in any correspondence. I wonder what they think I've complained about???

I'll have a hunt for the address' you mentioned, but if you find them in the meantime that'd be great!

Have to go now as my 5 year old has decided he has some very important colouring I need to help with:rolleyes:

Have to go now as my 5 year old has decided he has some very important colouring I need to help with

He already sounds far more capable than a DCA...

...DCAs usually chew their Crayons rather than colour or write with them, but I have heard some DCAs can concentrate long enough to sign their own name. Some can even use joined up writing, so long as they are allowed to colour in the spaces!

Cheers,

BRW

Hi Lexis.

Sorry it's taken so long - i did forget! Here's the link to Dpick's post with the email addies: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/69982-dpick-mbna-capital-one-3.html#post977881

I reached the point with my hubby's account where i copied everyone into every email. I decided to let them know i wasn't giving up or going quietly :D

Subbing :)

Good luck Lexis MBNA are utter plonkers.... they and me go back a long way :rolleyes:

Love SG x

Good morning hun! :D

Oh i can hear movement in the little one's room - no more peace and quiet :eek:

Lexis - mine is 5 too, so i'm sure i'll have important jobs such as colouring to do soon too. :eek: Just remembered i said we'd make cookies....when will people realise i am NOT Nigella Lawson :p

Good morning hun! :D

Oh i can hear movement in the little one's room - no more peace and quiet :eek:

Lexis - mine is 5 too, so i'm sure i'll have important jobs such as colouring to do soon too. :eek: Just remembered i said we'd make cookies....when will people realise i am NOT Nigella Lawson :p

Good morning back to Hopeful1 and everyone :)

My cat got me up LOL - she is actually 20 years old :eek: ... but she's like a baby and needs lots of attention and TLC x

Have a lovely day everyone

Love SG x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.