Robinson Way

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I had a letter and Default Notice from Cahoot. Part of the letter says:

'If you are in a position to clear the account balance in full within the next 14 days, please call us on the above number. If you are not, please continue with your existing arrangements'.

I couldn't clear the balance obviously, so continued with reduced payments.

'We are currently reviewing our procedures in relation to customers who have enlisted the assistance of debt management companies and will be in contact with you shortly in this respect.'

I'm not paying through a debt management company, I'm doing it myself and have not missed a payment since arranging to make reduced payments. I did contact CCCS, but didn't arrange anything with them.

Today I've received a letter from Robinson Way to say that the balance of the Cahoot account was sold to them on 23 June 2008. I haven't had a Notice of Assignment so I will send them a CCA and see what happens. They said they will accept the reduced payments.

canbrilla

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point in requesting a CCA when you admit liability and are paying exactly the same as you were previously?

This post does not reflect the professional views of any DCA; it is purely the poster's own opinions and personal advice.

What's the point in requesting a CCA when you admit liability and are paying exactly the same as you were previously?

Robin,

It's your legal right to ask for a copy of your 'Credit Agreement' AT ANY time.

If the company cannot get a copy, the debt becomes unforceable, regardless of whether you have been paying it or not.

Jogs

Still, it just delays things and it's a nice easy way for people who owe money to try to get out of paying it, when they've been happily paying it to the original creditor.

This post does not reflect the professional views of any DCA; it is purely the poster's own opinions and personal advice.

Still, it just delays things and it's a nice easy way for people who owe money to try to get out of paying it, when they've been happily paying it to the original creditor.

Most of the people that find this site have been paying the Original Lender or the DCA that took on the debt.

AND then, the thieving parasites try harder and harder and harder to squeeze every single penny from us. And regards your comment of delaying or trying to get out of paying, HELL yes, payback is a bitch.

Jogs

• Haha 1

Guest forgottenone

Hardly think, given how they break the law, use very devious, underhanded methods to get at debtors, employing telephone harassment as their first weapon, ignore all correspondence from a debtor to initiate reasonable discussion when all other means have been exhausted ie creditor/DCA doesn't want to know, yet is very adept at telling YOU you are 'ignoring all correspondence' when the adverse is true. Behave monstrously to debtors, using some severely inhumane means to get at them ... pushing those people until the break ... methods gangsters employ for example. Fear. Terror. Simple, plain old intimidation and scare tactics. Hardly what you call 'moral' is it? Big companies behaving or getting someone to do it for them. Hired help comes to mind. Hardly moral behaviour is it?

So yes people may owe money but ... when they've been hounded, intimidated, all reasonable attempts to come to a conclusion, based on what your financial situation is ie you are having a few problems, please show some lenience ... it's not forthcoming, though, is it? So, consumers get to know their rights, companies don't like it. Funny how DCA's skirt round all this issues in their threatograms. Thing is, if creditors did what they were supposed to treat people fairly under these circumstances, all the guidelines are there ... then there'd be no need for places like CAG to exist. We can all dream, though, can't we? That if creditors actually listened to people when in this situation ... trouble is, their's nothing more any big company hates is when you know what your rights are? Why is that I wonder? Daft question.

So, consumers/debtors do everything correctly ... then are met with the nonsense they encounter in return.

Funny how the debtor has done everything possible to instruct these companies, expecting some flexibility ... and the big bad company does what it likes?

Earlier tonight there was a very extreme example featured on ITV 8 pm ... a man in his 80s, left with an high electricity bill, company barges in, breaks into his home, sets up a payment card, man is left with no power ... very disabled, very old man ... frail, vulnerable ... I imagine people told him to 'pay up' as well ... oh, dear, company made a serious error and pursued him for money he didn't owe, though. Did they apologise? Beneath them even to do that.

Karma is a bitch sometimes, though. And it will come back on those or anyone responsible as the above is not unique example but one that got publicized. There are hundreds more who don't.

Sorry for the long post, had pc trouble ... then copied from notepad and no intention of hijacking anyone's thread. Coulda shortened it I know but pc kept playing up. And wasn't even gonna reply.

So, before anyone says 'pays your money' take a good long look at how people are seriously treated when they fall into debt.

Hardly think, given how they break the law, use very devious, underhanded methods to get at debtors, employing telephone harassment as their first weapon, ignore all correspondence from a debtor to initiate reasonable discussion when all other means have been exhausted ie creditor/DCA doesn't want to know, yet is very adept at telling YOU you are 'ignoring all correspondence' when the adverse is true. Behave monstrously to debtors, using some severely inhumane means to get at them ... pushing those people until the break ... methods gangsters employ for example. Fear. Terror. Simple, plain old intimidation and scare tactics. Hardly what you call 'moral' is it? Big companies behaving or getting someone to do it for them. Hired help comes to mind. Hardly moral behaviour is it?

So yes people may owe money but ... when they've been hounded, intimidated, all reasonable attempts to come to a conclusion, based on what your financial situation is ie you are having a few problems, please show some lenience ... it's not forthcoming, though, is it? So, consumers get to know their rights, companies don't like it. Funny how DCA's skirt round all this issues in their threatograms. Thing is, if creditors did what they were supposed to treat people fairly under these circumstances, all the guidelines are there ... then there'd be no need for places like CAG to exist. We can all dream, though, can't we? That if creditors actually listened to people when in this situation ... trouble is, their's nothing more any big company hates is when you know what your rights are? Why is that I wonder? Daft question.

So, consumers/debtors do everything correctly ... then are met with the nonsense they encounter in return.

Funny how the debtor has done everything possible to instruct these companies, expecting some flexibility ... and the big bad company does what it likes?

Earlier tonight there was a very extreme example featured on ITV 8 pm ... a man in his 80s, left with an high electricity bill, company barges in, breaks into his home, sets up a payment card, man is left with no power ... very disabled, very old man ... frail, vulnerable ... I imagine people told him to 'pay up' as well ... oh, dear, company made a serious error and pursued him for money he didn't owe, though. Did they apologise? Beneath them even to do that.

Karma is a bitch sometimes, though. And it will come back on those or anyone responsible as the above is not unique example but one that got publicized. There are hundreds more who don't.

Sorry for the long post, had pc trouble ... then copied from notepad and no intention of hijacking anyone's thread. Coulda shortened it I know but pc kept playing up. And wasn't even gonna reply.

So, before anyone says 'pays your money' take a good long look at how people are seriously treated when they fall into debt.

Excellent response to the troll FO.

Jogs

Hi there all,

I would rather pay my debts than not and would have gone on paying the reduced amount I have been paying. However, as there's been no Notice of Assignment I need to know if Robinson Way do actually have the right to collect on this debt. Cahoot didn't state that they were reassigning the debt let alone who to, so I think I do need to send them a request for a CCA. If they come up with a true agreement, then fine, if they don't then I'll wait and see what happens.

canbrilla

Received 2 letters today, both in envelopes which looked the same and with the same return address, Quays Reach, on the back of the envelope. In one was a letter purporting to be from Cahoot which said they'd sold my account to Robinson Way and to make payments to them and to cancel any standing orders to Cahoot. In the other was a payment slip from Robinson Way. Suspicious I thought. The letterhead on the Cahoot letter didn't look like the usual one.

Now my dilemma is this, I want to pay this account, but don't want to pay Robinson Way. I'm sending them a CCA. Do I continue to make payments to Cahoot until such time as a CCA doesn't materialise or stop making payments to either? My next payment is to be made by 15 July.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

canbrilla

You should be paying Robinson Way, however, if you continue making payments to Cahoot, they will forward your payments to Robinson Way. It just might take a while for that to happen.

As far as saying your next payment is for the 15th July, it will say that on the letter, but in the fact, that's the date that Cahoot will forward them your last payment, so your next payment is due for the date directly beneath that. Call them if you don't believe me, but that's the situation anyway.

They kindly sent me another letter today as well, this time confirming that they'd accept my payment proposal, when in fact I'd made no proposal at all. Funny crew.

Anyway, I also sent them an amended version of the letter suggested by havinastella on my thread.

I don't suppose they'll pay any attention.

Edited by sutherland

yes - well said pt!! Looking at robinalexander's posts I think it is clear he either works for Robin Way or one of their associates - because he has ONLY posted any comments in threads where rob way are the company involved!!

I personally shall not be feeding this troll!!

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

yes - well said pt!! Looking at robinalexander's posts I think it is clear he either works for Robin Way or one of their associates - because he has ONLY posted any comments in threads where rob way are the company involved!!

I personally shall not be feeding this troll!!

I refer you to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/70646-posting-forum-please-read.html

However tempted you feel to make personal attacks, please remember they are not permitted under any circumstances.

I'm not at work now though, I am on a forum where rules that I have followed apply, yet others clearly do not.

Believe me, it may not seem like we follow the rules and that nobody cares about doing so, but a portion of us do treat people with respect. Again, I will reiterate, if you have a problem against the company, take it up with them, do not take it out on me.

Edited by robinalexander

That's what my letter attached to the payment slip said sutherland. I certainly made no offer of payment to them.

I'll continue to pay Cahoot, at least this month and see if I do get a CCA. My payment is due by 15th, it'll go out to Cahoot as normal.

canbrilla

CAG has many critics in the credit industry, and this thread is a perfect validation for many of those criticisms. The original poster doesn't dispute that he owes this debt - he states himself that he was paying reduced instalment amounts prior to default notice being issued. I fail to see what good a CCA request over a debt with no dispute whatsoever over it would have. Saying "doesn't do any harm" isn't good enough in this case, and neither does saying, "it's up to them to prove it" - at least, it isn't if CAG is serious about being against debt evasion, which we (rightly) claim to be.

Huggles the reason many people end up here is because they type "Mercers" (that was me), "1st Credit", or whatever into a search engine after suffering some kind of extreme hassle from one of them. I was chipping away at my debts for several years without hassle from creditors until one day Mercers decided to threaten me with all sorts of things that they couldn't just do.

A CCA request that produces no CCA or an invalid CCA helps even a debtor who does not disupte the debt and wants to pay it because they are less likely to be intimitdated by idle threats, such as bankruptcy, which half the time will do neither them or the creditor any good.

Creditors who abide by the law have nothing to fear from CAG. It's only those that have treated the law as something that they can ignore, but bring down upon other people. After all, if a creditor has stuck to the law and the debtor can pay there is nothing to stop them recovering the debt.

As someone who has been in business and suffered serious losses due to bad debts, then experienced how well nigh impossible it is to recover debts in most circumstances, I think they have an easy time of it and I don't feel much sympathy for them.