Newman & Co

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5794 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently had dealings with these as my wife is faltering on her Amex card.

They phoned her and spoke briefly to explain they are collecting on behalf of Amex and as soon as they upset her i took over the conversation.

I asked them if they had deed of assignment but they said they hadn't bought the debt, it was still owed to amex. Can this happen? how can they chase a debt which they dont own??

They were also aggresive on the phone and even though we made an offer of payment they rejected immediately and said the account needs clearing now or very soon. I explained the way things get done and then she said i was being obstructive.

After a bit of research i found out they don't charge these companies as they work on a no collection no fee basis, but on a letter sent to my wife they have charged her £400 collection fee.

Is this legal??

I need a bit of help with them as they fight quite dirty

Cheers

Oh, i have made the usual requests etc credit agreement and so on which they have (surprisingly) supplied very rapidly

Hi Dave,

Never speak to them on the phone, it's a waste of your time and they will try and intimidate you.

If they call again just say put everything in writing and hang up.

So assuming you have cca's them etc,

I take it your looking to set up a paymant plan with them?

The easiest was is to send and icnome and exp sheet and a proposal of what you can afford including the first payment with it.

Just keep up the payments you have proposed.

Someone will come along and advise you on the 'collection fee'

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Recently had dealings with these as my wife is faltering on her Amex card.

They phoned her and spoke briefly to explain they are collecting on behalf of Amex and as soon as they upset her i took over the conversation.

I asked them if they had deed of assignment but they said they hadn't bought the debt, it was still owed to amex. Can this happen? Yes how can they chase a debt which they dont own?? they are approached by the OC to chase the debt

They were also aggresive on the phone and even though we made an offer of payment they rejected immediately and said the account needs clearing now or very soon. I explained the way things get done and then she said i was being obstructive. have you tried to approach AMEX for a payment plan? therby negating these leaches

After a bit of research i found out they don't charge these companies as they work on a no collection no fee basis, but on a letter sent to my wife they have charged her £400 collection fee. No they cant charge her for this, I would suggets you complain to AMEX about their behaviour

Is this legal??

I need a bit of help with them as they fight quite dirty - Have you sent a SAR request to Amex to see if any unlawful charges have been applied

Cheers

Oh, i have made the usual requests etc credit agreement and so on which they have (surprisingly) supplied very rapidly

Never talk to these creatures on the phone, get everything in writing, post your agreement up for the good folks on here to judge whether it is compliant or not

Haven't done an inc + exp budget yet but will get one done for them to see

The thing is i am out of work at the moment so we are living on one wage and we have made a true offer of what we can afford.

I suppose if we make this abundantly clear to them if they do decide to go to court it will like at least we tried to sort it out with them.

cheers for the advice everyone

Dave

They'll look pretty stupid infront of a judge when you've made every effort to negotiate what you can realistically afford. Keep copies of everything and log all calls with transcripts. Refuse to answer security and say everything in writting only.

You can download an I & E form from here:

National Debtline, for FREE CONFIDENTIAL and INDEPENDENT ADVICE call 0808 808 4000

Good luck and best wishes.