BT Phone Line Disconnection Fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, after having a quick look around I did not find that much on BT's disconnection fee.

I am currently a student, and will be leaving the flat I currently live in at the end of this month. Having called BT asking them about cancellation, they said that they would impose a cancellation fee of the phone line costs till my 12 month 'contract' ends in October.

I replied by saying I do not remember hearing a verbal contract over the telephone or remembering if I recieved their contract in the mail. I asked them to review the audio recording, at which point they warned me that they may not have it any more and said they would get back to me on my mobile number. It has been more than a week since I asked for this and they have not got back to me.

I am wondering where I stand on this matter as I dont feel the charge is appropriate, and I do not remember ever entering the 'contract'. I have thought about cancelling my Direct Debit but I gave them my home contact details so they know where I live out of term time.

Thanks in advanced.

B.T. seem to be impossing cancellation fees on everyone these days, must be loosing to many subscribers.

If B.T. said that they'll contact you back on your mobile, and you've not had any missed calls or messages left or even a SMS from them, then wait until 14 days have gone, send them a letter outlining your telephone conversation with them, and that you have not yet been contacted, and you would like to know in writing what the situation is, and if the cancellation charge stands, and if not, that you also want this confirmed in writing.

Address to write to

Customer Service Manager
BT Customer Correspondence Centre
Durham, DH98 1BT

BT Executive Office Freephone: [b]0800 545 458[/b]

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

As has been noted on other threads, BT have always had a minimum contract term of 12 months, and has been in existence since the days of Post Office Telecommunications, however this was always for new lines - lines that were taken over working (or reconnected) had a 3 month minimum term. All documentation you would have recieved from BT would normally refer to the 12 month term, but your position would be stronger if arranged verbally - that YOU had a recording to prove the minimum term was not mentioned. Otherwise, it is their worrd against yours. Incidentally, both Virgin and Talk Talk all have 12 month minimum terms, so expecting there NOT to be this restriction wouldn't really be credible.

I was recently COLD CALLED from BT's International office in India (Well the guy sounded to Indian, and the CLI said International)

It was to offer me FREE unlimited weekend and evening calls for no extra cost, if I agreed to keep my line rental with BT for a further 12 month.

I went along with him for about 20 minutes (I was bored ok ;) ) asking several questions, what was in it for me, what was in it for them, then he finally plucked up the courrage to say "SO YOU WANT THIS OR WHAT?" to which I was unable to help myself any longer, i replied "Want what? Who are you again?"

I really do hate cold callers, wasting my time, so I waste their time just as much.

well in the end, I agreed to take up the offer.

Anyway, back on track. Yes it is your word against theres, and if no recording is available, BT has a policy of accepting the customers story, so not to appear to call the customer a liar.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.