Should my friend be paying this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Guys,

I have a friend who signed up to a 6 month contract to rent a room. She has decided she wants to move out a little earlier then the contract states and her landlord has sent this letter.

I just wanted to find out if the amount she has to pay is standard, or if he is trying to charge her too much. My friend has no problem with the amount if it is fair and legal. Thanks

(letter below - which the landlord drafted)

Please accept this notice as a means to terminate my Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (ASTA) for the property 7 Henry Purcell House, 119 Evelyn Road, E16 1UU.

I wish to terminate the terms of the contact and move out on the 31st May, which I understand will mean that section 8.3 of the ASTA will be broken. This clause requires three months notice to be provided to the landlord (**********) in writing prior to moving out of the property.

A failure to comply with section 8.3, I fully understand will mean that a penalty will be due to *******, which I have discussed with him and agreed as being an acceptable means of terminating the contract.

The monies which I owe from now until the 31st May include;

Payment date

Value

(£)

Reason for payment

11 May

April rent

31 May

May rent and £500 compensation for June rent

Already paid

500*

Deposit to be kept by landlord to cover July rent

On the 31st May, I will fully reimburse separately for any damages caused to the fixtures and fittings or to the property on checking out. This is necessary as I have agreed that the landlord will keep my initial deposit of £500 to cover July’s rent.

Failure to comply with the terms set out in this agreement, will give the landlord the right to seek a court action against me to retrieve these monies.

In signing this letter I am in full agreement with the terms set out above.

Kind Regards,

PRINT NAME:……………………………….

SIGN:………………………………….

Halifax - WON:D (£1,000 put back in account)

Abbey National - WON:D (£521 nice shiny cheque)

Capital One - WON:D (£200 cheque)

HSBC - waiting for court decision:rolleyes:

What needs to be added, is if he relets the flat for June and July he should reimburse the rent you have paid. He cant get paid twice!

Or you keep the keys and have use of the flat until the notice period has expired. You have paid to the end of July so it is still your flat and and you dont have to leave till then. You have just given him notice of your intention to terminate the lease. Now you can always negotiate a reduced balance for you leaving early so he can relet the flat. Dont sign the form!! unless you come to some agreemaent on the early relet. He would well in if he relets straight away!

Thanks for that peice of advice, I have passed it on!

Halifax - WON:D (£1,000 put back in account)

Abbey National - WON:D (£521 nice shiny cheque)

Capital One - WON:D (£200 cheque)

HSBC - waiting for court decision:rolleyes:

I think that she shouldn't sign anything like this at all!!! If the ASt has already defined T&Cs, why would he want her to sign something like this? I smell a rat.

Has she got a copy of her tenancy agreement? Check the terms in it, and make sure that the LL is not trying to sneak in more stuff in that letter.

She doesn't have to sign it, all she has to do is notify him in writing that she is giving him notice that she will be leaving on XX date, and nothing else.

I would strongly advise her not to sign this, under any circumstances. :oops: