Reclaimed money for premium rate text messages

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently received over £80 back from a communications network that have been charging me £1.50 every time they sent me a text message- from a service I didn't sign up for.

I noticed over the period of a year that my mobile phone bill was steadily increasing although I was still within my tariff.

I was also receiving, on a regular basis, text messages from 8---- numbers. Some had url links to websites and others were 'chat' messages- all very annoying!

I tried texting STOP and STOP ALL, neither worked. Eventually, my phone company 02 gave me the telephone numbers of the companies sending me the messages (these were on my bill next to the charge).

One company I phoned and spoke to someone who immediately offered me my money back - grand total £7. I promptly received a cheque in the post.

The other company wasn't so easy. They had a recorded message which cut you off after a couple of minutes. Phone Pay Plus (the regulatory body) gave me another number for the same company- this line was also unavailable.

I googled the company and found there address, wrote to them demanding my money back or court proceedings. They quickly got in touch with a different contact number.

The guy I spoke to at the company was very polite and helpful, didn't even question whether I had signed up for the service. When he looked on his system he found that I had actually received more texts than I originally thought.

Within a week I had a cheque through the post for £75.

Do not ignore these costly text messages and don't bother trying to get the money back from your own phone company.

I can only assume that these companies make so much money and don't want to be investigated, so quite happily give you your money back, if you can get through to them!!!

Do not ignore these costly text messages and don't bother trying to get the money back from your own phone company.

I can only assume that these companies make so much money and don't want to be investigated, so quite happily give you your money back, if you can get through to them!!!

That's exactly how it works! And our regulators know this. Providing a difficult route to obtain a refund is par for the course, many just give up - so congratulations!

@buzby: are you sitting down? I absolutely agree with you and well done jodilauren.

re: reverse billed premium rate 'services'

The mobile networks take 20% to %50 of the revenue although they all claim the problem is nothing to do with them.

The EU Commission attempted to have mobile phone accounts protected by the same laws that bank/credit card accounts are subject to.

The mobile operators and premium rate industry successfully lobbied the UK Government to be exempted from those regulations.

Here's a list of the PhonePayPlus (Icstis) adjudications and 'fines' from Feb 2004 to March 2008.

A FINE record. It takes a minute or two to down load.

PhonepayPlus - adjudications

dont know how they got my number

been receiving texts from a company called no worries loans

they keep trying to make me apply for a loan

ime getting three of these texts a day

the number is 0871 7111 789

can some one put my mind at rest

is this company making money out of me by charging for these texts

that i never asked to receive

many thanks

@ buzby: are you sitting down? I absolutely agree with you and well done jodilauren.

Well, it has to happen at least once! :)

On a more serious note, I still remain amazed that a third party that you have no contractual agreement with, can simply initiate a call you your mobile number and claim money, and you don't have a leg to stand on. Talk about human rights? This one needs stopping before it gets out of hand.

dont know how they got my number

been receiving texts from a company called no worries loans

they keep trying to make me apply for a loan

ime getting three of these texts a day

the number is 0871 7111 789

can some one put my mind at rest

is this company making money out of me by charging for these texts

that i never asked to receive

many thanks

Hopefully not. Look on your bill, contact your network operator and ask.

There are two types of unsolicited text msg. Premium Rate 'services' that are charged and spam advertising that is not charged.

You can register your mobile number with the TPS to stop some of the spam advertising.

Untitled Document

On a more serious note, I still remain amazed that a third party that you have no contractual agreement with, can simply initiate a call you your mobile number and claim money, and you don't have a leg to stand on. Talk about human rights? This one needs stopping before it gets out of hand.

Yes! The ICO has been asked why we can 'opt-out' of receiving unsolicited free spam advertising but not opt-out of receiving unsolicited reverse billed [problem] 'services'.

They refused to admit it exists. The problem of unsolicited billing goes back to at least 2000.

There has never been a single criminal prosecution.