• Tweets

• This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
    • oh no just logged in and it says a judgment was issued literally 2 hours ago! see attached Screenshot 2024-04-29 214754.pdf
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg credit card agreement terminated

toymaker1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you for your help and quick response Toymaker.

I was thinking of a reply along similar lines but I wanted to be sure I was right.

To clarify my account was terminated (not in default/ no arrears),defaulted and then terminated again.

Exactly the same situation as me. What I post on this site is the same as I am doing myself.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here have any good advice on Halifax credit cards ?

I need to respond to a legal Claim form in the next few days, whilst at the same time asking for original CCA to try and see if it is enforceable anyway.

I have posted my own thread (in Halifax section) but no-one seems to be picking up on it ?

I can only tell you what I would do/have done.

My experience is that it wont really be useful to your case. - Egg will just send you a copy of your agreement. It may well have certain technical irregularites, but it will be of a sufficent nature for Egg to put to a court.

I contrast with, for example Halifax or Morgan Stanley, who usually cannot provide a proper copy, if they do it is usually unreadable (which is illegal), so there is usually some useful stuff to be obtained from asking Halifax or Morgan Stanley for CCA.

But in your Egg situation (same as mine) the matter totally revolves around Egg's unlawful termination of your Egg credit card agreement. I suggest you totally focus on that. Egg cannot get around it.

I think this is good advice.

Several people have just went the direct route with a final response along the lines of, "Go on then Egg, take us to court". Then the mighty Egg fell silent.

They know they made a mess with the termination letter. They also know that the terminated accounts were likely unenforceable.

Don't give in to the bullies. They are bullying because they know they are weak.

Hi

Got this letter from DLC today, which I posted below

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/confused44/img050.jpg

Shall I just ignore this letter or repeat the last with adjustments

confused

In order to properly understand your situation, could you clarify exactly what you wrote in your letter to dlc dated 12 November 2009?

I see that DLC have said that the comments in your letter have been noted. What did you put in the letter? What is it that DLC say they have noted?

Not possible to give advice without more details.

Regards

My husband had an egg card which was terminated and as far as he was concerned at that time it had become a loan as there was no further credit facility. Yet this loan was being charged at credit card interest.

He phoned egg to complain about this and was told he would have to apply for an egg loan if he wanted one.

He explained that he probably would not be granted an egg loan due to his poor credit history, but that this seemed to be what they had done, if you consider that there is an outstanding balance and a monthly payment yet no longer a credit facility.

My husband had an egg card which was terminated and as far as he was concerned at that time it had become a loan as there was no further credit facility. Yet this loan was being charged at credit card interest.

He phoned egg to complain about this and was told he would have to apply for an egg loan if he wanted one.

He explained that he probably would not be granted an egg loan due to his poor credit history, but that this seemed to be what they had done, if you consider that there is an outstanding balance and a monthly payment yet no longer a credit facility.

A similar thing to me happened. I had an Egg card and had always paid on time by direct debit. I had also just made a payment of 5000 pounds. However, I was considered a bad customer because they made little money out of me. I always made good use of their interest free credit period and then paid it off.

I got a call and they cancelled the credit facility but still wanted regular payments. Usual stuff, there was a clause somewhere saying that they could terminate any time they want.

I reduced my monthly payments and went to work abroad. I wrote and told them I was abroad but they still did a nasty little trick and went to the county court and won by default. I got it set aside when I found out. Subsequently, it was a sold to CapQuest. I eventually explained that there was a prior dispute and they had to cancel the account. Besides this, I got a copy of the CCA and there were so many faults on it, they would have had difficulty in court.

So what happened next?

In order to properly understand your situation, could you clarify exactly what you wrote in your letter to dlc dated 12 November 2009?

I see that DLC have said that the comments in your letter have been noted. What did you put in the letter? What is it that DLC say they have noted?

Not possible to give advice without more details.

Regards

Hi Toymaker

I had received a postcard from a company called hillesden securities advising that a representative would be calling in the next 7 days.

So I wrote and requested that they advise me who they were and why they wished to call upon me and then I would decide if I would make an appointment for one of their resprentative to call! Hence the letter from DLC. I have also received a letter from DLC advising me that there is no valid dispute on the account.

My account was terminated on 6th march08, I had not defaulted the on account payments were on time. stopped paying in may09 as couldn't afford payments any longer as they had increased. then was defaulted on 4th August 09.

hope this helps

confused

Hi Toymaker

I had received a postcard from a company called hillesden securities advising that a representative would be calling in the next 7 days.

So I wrote and requested that they advise me who they were and why they wished to call upon me and then I would decide if I would make an appointment for one of their resprentative to call! Hence the letter from DLC. I have also received a letter from DLC advising me that there is no valid dispute on the account.

My account was terminated on 6th march08, I had not defaulted the on account payments were on time. stopped paying in may09 as couldn't afford payments any longer as they had increased. then was defaulted on 4th August 09.

hope this helps

confused

So, as I undertstand it you have had 2 letters from DLC, neither of which deals with your written request for information about Egg's termination of your Egg agreement. If that is the case, I would send something like this;

Re: Dispute between Egg and (your name).

Thank you for your letters dated xxx and xxx.

I will be in a position to respond to the points raised in your letters after DLC has provided me with a response to the points raised by me in my letter dated xxxx.

I am very concerned that DLC has chosen not to provide a response to the points raised by me in my letter.

As you will be aware, the main point raised by me in my letter Is that I have requested that Egg and/or DLC indicate to me the relevant section of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which provides Egg with entitlement to terminate my Egg credit card Agreement with effect from 6th March 2008. To date Egg and DLC have failed to provide me with the information I have requested. I consider that my request is very clearly understandable and is directly related to Egg's decision to terminate it’s contractual agreement with me with effect from 6th March 2008. As soon as DLC provides me with the information I have requested, I will be in a position to respond to the matters which have been raised by DLC in it’s letters to me.

In the event that this matter is put before a court I will draw the court’s attention to the manner in which Egg and DLC have dealt with the dispute between Egg Banking plc and myself, particularly in relation to,

The Consumer Credit Act 1974,

The Data Protection Act 1998,

The Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Debt Collection and Unfair Business Practices (Updated December 2006),

The Solicitors’ Code of Conduct 2007,

The Credit Services Association Code Of Practice.

I am confident that Egg, or the parties acting on behalf of Egg will, as I will, provide to the court full records of the matters to which I have referred, including copies of my letters xxx to xxx.

I look forward to your very urgent response, in order that the dispute between Egg and myself can be resolved as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully

There was a case many years ago involving Extortionate Credit Bargains which was to do with doorstep loans at several thousand percent APR. I would suggest that Egg at about 16% or so would not come close to being held as extortionate (MBNA at 34.9% probably wouldn't either :( )

Just my two penn'orth.

Hi People, i sort of have the same sort of problem as at the beginning of this thread, but mine is more of a question really, Egg terminated my aggreement a while ago, i will have to see if i still have the origanal paper work, i didnt take much notice of it at the the time, the letter including that i would not be receiveing a new card, as i pay min balance each month and have been doing so for a long time and probably will for also a long time,as i said i didnt take it so seriously however this week i have got hold of a copy of my credit file for a different reason and noticed that Egg have put settled on the account and at the time of the letter i beleive, with no entries at all since end july- whats going on, i still make min payments, say i was to stop paying them, have egg got the power to change a settled account into a default-after filing it ?? if they have teminated an agreement and stated settled on my credit status am i still hold to pay them ? any one no Please where i would stand ?

Company name: EGG BANKING PLC

Account type: Credit card / Store card

Started: 10/07/2002

Current Balance : Settled

Credit Limit : £6,390

Settled On : 31/07/2009

File Updated for the Period to: 02/08/2009

Status history:

Summary of payment history: In the last 36 months of account activity, the number of status 1-2 is 0 and

the number of status 3 is 0

Note:

Settled accounts are kept on file for six years from the settlement date. The

status history in respect of a settled account relates to the period of time

prior to the date of settlement.

Hi People, i sort of have the same sort of problem as at the beginning of this thread, but mine is more of a question really, Egg terminated my aggreement a while ago, i will have to see if i still have the origanal paper work, i didnt take much notice of it at the the time, the letter including that i would not be receiveing a new card, as i pay min balance each month and have been doing so for a long time and probably will for also a long time,as i said i didnt take it so seriously however this week i have got hold of a copy of my credit file for a different reason and noticed that Egg have put settled on the account and at the time of the letter i beleive, with no entries at all since end july- whats going on, i still make min payments, say i was to stop paying them, have egg got the power to change a settled account into a default-after filing it ?? if they have teminated an agreement and stated settled on my credit status am i still hold to pay them ? any one no Please where i would stand ?

Company name: EGG BANKING PLC

Account type: Credit card / Store card

Started: 10/07/2002

Current Balance : Settled

Credit Limit : £6,390

Settled On : 31/07/2009

File Updated for the Period to: 02/08/2009

Status history:

Summary of payment history: In the last 36 months of account activity, the number of status 1-2 is 0 and

the number of status 3 is 0

Note:

Settled accounts are kept on file for six years from the settlement date. The

status history in respect of a settled account relates to the period of time

prior to the date of settlement.

Having seen your post I got a copy of my credit file and it is the same as yours - it says "settled".

Would be interesting to see what happens if payments stop.

You lead.... I'll follow ;)

Hi Peeps,

Send this to ARC and then STOP COMMUNICATING WITH THEM IN ANY FORM.

"There is currently a dispute between Egg Banking and myself regarding matters arising from Egg's termination of its contractual agreement with me.

For two organisations, ie, Egg and your firm, to pursue an alleged debtor simultaneously is harassment and a breach of your Trading Licence under Office of Fair Trading Regulations.

In view of the above, I will only communicate with Egg and only by correspondence.

Further, you are instructed to cease and desist all telephone calls to me.

You are to consider this letter a formal complaint of your conduct, to which I require a written explanation of your conduct within the statutory time period.

If you fail to comply with my instructions regarding method of communication, and if your response to the complaint contained hereunder is unsatisfactory, I shall immediately make a complaint against you to the OFT and FOS for the purpose of invoking financial sanctions and of having your trading licence revoked.

Yours faithfully"

If you have a spot, don't pick it!!! Write this letter, and then DON'T COMMUNICATE WITH THEM AGAIN!

Why do you put yourself through this? It cannot be harder, NOT to pick up the phone or just to IGNORE ARC's letters! They have no powers. If you wish to deal with someone, deal with Egg, and Egg only.

Regards

Liz Southern

Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant!

Hi HP Mum,

In answer to your question, as my day job I work for a claims and debt management company. (Please note, I am not touting for business - the site administrators are fully aware of my day job!)

Part of my job is to deal with slugs like ARC. I say again, these debt collection agencies have no powers. In your case, you have an ongoing dispute with Egg. While that dispute is ongoing, it is unlawful for ARC to pursue you. That includes all forms of communicating with you. If Egg are saying they no longer own your debt because they have sold it to ARC, then ARC must produce a Deed of Assignment to you - not just a letter to you saying they have purchased the debt from Egg - but a proper Deed of Assignment, witnessed by a solicitor, (a solicitor registered with the SRA), and the Deed registered. All facts that can be checked.

DCAs are very fearful of having their trading licences revoked. They are regulated and they have to follow a code of conduct. If they do not, they have to explain why they have behaved outside of the code. They have to explain to you, and to the OFT and FOS.

You have a legal right to make a complaint to a DCA. You have a legal right to make a complaint to the OFT and FOS, and ask for the DCA's licence to be revoked.

You say "defiant" as if it's wrong, as if you are somehow apologising for standing up for yourself. DCAs work by conditioning people through long-term intimidation. Numerous phone calls, some nasty, some deliberately friendly, threatening letters, letters made to look like they come from solicitors, threatening doorstep calls or bailiffs, or losing your house - all of these tactics work to wear you down so you will make a payment, whether you owe the money or not, just to make them go away.

You need to realise you are stressed, that they have in effect brainwashed you, and you need to change the way you think. My letter is not "defiant". It is strong. It tells the DCA, "You've told me what you want. Now I'm going to tell YOU how it's going to be." It gives control of the situation back to where it should be - with you.

"Defiant" is a word describing a "reaction". Taking control back means that you are the person "acting" not "reacting". There is nothing frightening in this, and you can deal with it. You are not alone.

I fully support anybody wanting to write a "polite" letter - the first time. But how long are you going to carry on writing "polite" letters before you realise that you're not getting anywhere? If you came into my office I'd write such a letter for you (remember I'm not touting for business, please, just explaining) and the DCA has to write back answering your complaint. Then you write to the OFT and FOS, tell them everything and ask for the DCA's licence to be revoked. Log Book Loans have had their licence revoked, and other DCAs' licences are up for renewal soon.

Wow, this reply's long. Anyway, my head is splitting and I have a massive temperature, so I'm going to sign off now and go back to bed! I love winter!

Regards

Liz Southern

:(

Very interesting. Lots of useful info for future reference.

Thanks for posting it.

I find the above interesting.

A credit card interest rate is higher than a loan interest rate, the company, whoever they are, may claim that the credit facility is factored into the rate they charge.

Anyone see what I mean? or is it just me again waffling :-D lol

Virgin money card have done exactly the same thing in a way with me.

They hiked the rate, I complained, they offered a lower rate to the one they wanted, I still said no way! they said " ok, we will leave the rate as it was, but we can review at any time blah blah blah....."

I said " Ok fine "

No mention was made by them that I could no longer use the card.

Further down the road, so to say, I mislaid the card, good thing some may say :-D so I called them to ask for a replacement.

" No replacement will be issued " was their response.

They basically said that the debt was being paid off through the payments I was making, just to note, they were the standard payments, not reduced.

They quipped that if I wanted another card I would have to apply.

As alice would say, curiouser and curiouser :cool:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks