T-Mobile default for account never opened

39+
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5860 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies if in the wrong place and hopefully a mod will move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Back in Oct 2006, I applied for a T-Mobile Hotspot broadband roaming account, based on a monthly contract payable by DD.

The application was online, was told I should wait to hear account details by email. After a week or so with no contact, I called T-Mobile to be told they required a deposit of £100 to open the account which I declined. I went on instead to successfully open a similar account with BT Openzone.

A couple of months later I received an invoice from T-Mobile for £100 for said deposit, so I called and once again informed them I didn't wish to open the account under those terms. As far as I was aware that was the end of the matter, and have never received any further correspondence from them.

I've recently requested a copy of my file from all the CRA's, and Callcredit has a late payment registered against me. Initially £100 in Oct 2006, rising to £127 in Nov, £147 in Dec, then showing as 'settled' in Dec 2006. I'm obviously not very happy as I never even took out the agreement!!

I'm aware mobile companies aren't covered under the auspices of the CCA, so could someone please give me some idea of how to get this record removed? It seems to be the only thing that's causing me trouble regarding my credit record, and I'm hoping to obtain a mortgage soon, which will be difficult enough in the current climate.

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. I decided to initially approach Callcredit, thinking they would probably contact T-Mobile and reply the info was correct (cynical, me?!). But was pleasantly surprised for them to respond saying they hadn't had adequate proof from T-Mobile, so were now removing the info from my file :-D

Even though mobile 'phone contracts aren't covered by the Consumer Credit Act, the Credit Reference Agencies have a legal obligation under the Data Protection Act to hold the correct data.

Complaining to the CRA's using their dispute procedure and quoting the DPA is an effective tool.

Best wishes, Dave.

Thanks for the help. I decided to initially approach Callcredit, thinking they would probably contact T-Mobile and reply the info was correct (cynical, me?!). But was pleasantly surprised for them to respond saying they hadn't had adequate proof from T-Mobile, so were now removing the info from my file :-D

Congrats. Little victories, eh?!

Personally, I would photocopy the letter and send it with a covering letter to the other CRAs if they have the same data.

I'd also ask T-Mobile why you had to approach a third-party to rectify incorrect data they supplied and what do they intend to do about it.

Seems to just be the one CRA at the mo, but may send them a copy just in case. Although as it was originally defaulted in Dec 06, would be surprised if it turned up anywhere else.

Was a pleasant change, was expecting a fight on my hands!

Seems to just be the one CRA at the mo, but may send them a copy just in case. Although as it was originally defaulted in Dec 06, would be surprised if it turned up anywhere else.

Was a pleasant change, was expecting a fight on my hands!

I'd still write to T-Mobile. When Orange filed an incorrect entry on my credit record, I got declined for a mortgage, got it removed and then wrote to them. Think it was £100 but may have been less, compensation.

And a very long apology from a director (or his/her secretary).

And, Intelligent Finance then approved the mortgage after "appealing" (i.e. asking for common sense).