Can I Stay Away From Home?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am finding trouble getting any guidance at all on this problem, so I hope someone here can help.

I am divorced and live with my adult son in our own house, and pay full council tax. Two or three nights a week I stay with my fiancee, who lives about 100 miles away.

She receives the single-person discount, and is worried that she might be breaking the rules by letting me stay over. At first I thought her concern was laughable, as I pay full council tax on my own place, but she won't be placated on this.

I can't find anything definitive on this on the Web. Can anybody help, or has anybody heard of a similar case?

Thanks in adfvance, Joe

See here:

Council Tax discounts, exemptions and financial help : Directgov - Home and community

Council Tax Discounts

There are various discounts that you may be eligible to claim to reduce your bill.

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in a home. If only one adult lives in a home (as their main home), the Council Tax is reduced by 25 per cent. The bill doesn't increase if there are more than two adults in the home.

Certain people aren't counted when working out the number of adults who live in your home. If the home isn't anyone's main home, then a discount may also apply.

You can check the detail about discounts and people who aren't counted in sections 10 to 13 of the leaflet 'Council Tax - a guide to your bill'.

You can also use the links below to check eligibility and to apply online. The page you go to will ask you to enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more. (If the online service isn't yet available you'll be given contact details for your local authority.)

Thank you very much, Michael, for your prompt reply and your guidance notes.

I have read all the notes very carefully, and I can't see any item which refers specifically, or even generally, to my situation, so I guess there is no guidance for it.

I still firmly believe that this is a situation in which common sense should apply. The Government, via the local authority, is receiving a full council tax payment from me, and three-quarters from my fiancee. Should I

make up her payment to the full amount, and stop paying tax on my own house,the Government would be out of pocket.

In any case, as I spend more time at my own house than at my fiancee's, surely that qualifies my own house as my main residence?

There are various discounts that you may be eligible to claim to reduce your bill.

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are at least two adults living in a home. If only one adult lives in a home (as their main home), the Council Tax is reduced by 25 per cent.

Surely it comes under this statement :) As its not your main home then you dont count :)

Thanks for your view, Saintly.

I like it mostly because it's my view in a nutshell, but it's good to hear someone else say I'm on the right track.

I shall return to my fiancee and attempt to put her mind at rest again.

• 2 weeks later...

I very much doubt that you would have to pay even under the strictest interpretation of the law. However it might be worth asking your fiancée to make an anonymous telephone enquiry to her council to set her mind at rest. You don't have to give your name when making a general enquiry.

Thanks for your reply, sohoscribbler. I tried your suggestion about an anonymous enquiry before I posted this question, but just received the usual bunkum about each case being judged on its merits, and requiring names etc before giving an answer. It looks like a dead end as far as a definitive answer is concerned, but thanks for your support.