What court do i use if i want to take a holiday firm to court for misrepresentation?

tezzah
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It relates to Thomsons, we booked our holiday with them and the villa we booked isn't the one we thought we booked. We checked over and over again on their website and the links we used all work and show the villa we thought we booked. They have sent me a single page document showing the villa we are getting claiming it's the one we booked. The link they sent isn't the link we booked our holiday through. I've downloaded, saved and printed pages to show them they are wrong however they will not budge and told us the to take it through a third party if we wanted as they were not going to change their minds. I've asked 3 other people to visit the site and they all agree that the villa Thomsons are trying to fob us off with is not mentioned anywhere on the links we used.

Thomsons have two versions of their site, however the two sites are different. We booked via one site and they are ignoring this.

We are not sure whether to go on holiday (in May) or cancel and sue them for misrep etc.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Might be usful to complain to ABTA Home

You could also report this to your local T S

Sorry I must be honest Thomson are the last travel agent I would ever use, I used them in Jan 2007 what a mistake I made

I'm so intrigued by this. What subterfuge on the part on Thomson!

Can you post the links so we can have a look too?

Loubychew

I am not a travel lawyer. All info is based on my own experience of working in the travel industry in resort.

Guest 10110001
What court do i use if i want to take a holiday firm to court for misrepresentation?

The answer: The small claims track.

ABTA have no legal authority to order Thomson to pay you & probably wont want to get involved in individual disputes. Their job is getting you home if your holiday company goes bust - hence ABTA Bonded - a fund setup to pay for your repatriation.

Guest Old_andrew2018
The answer: The small claims track.

ABTA have no legal authority to order Thomson to pay you & probably wont want to get involved in individual disputes. Their job is getting you home if your holiday company goes bust - hence ABTA Bonded - a fund setup to pay for your repatriation.

I had always believe ABTA would get involved, but there we go,

are you an employee of a travel company if so can you point the way for

tezzah to complain to another organisation.

Guest 10110001
Hi

again look at the ABTA code of conduct via this link http://www.abta.com/download/codeofconduct.pdf

Its a voluntary code

I had always believe ABTA would get involved, but there we go,

are you an employee of a travel company

I work in travel but not a holiday co.

if so can you point the way for

tezzah to complain to another organisation.

A quasi-regulator has no authority to force a holiday company to give restitution, send a LBA and use a legal channel. You will otherwise end up with lengthy and protracted correspondence. Knock it on the head.

Thanks 1011001, that was my thought, i'll go through the courts however i'm not sure which court to go though. We want the court to order Thomsons to perform the contract, we are not after money, we just want the holiday we paid for.

Would the small claims court be the one to go through?

Guest 10110001

The court is the small claims track, you can file your claim online https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp I think you need someone to do your litigation so I would suggest a visit to a CAB. But for now:

Write to Thomson under recorded delivery and tell them very clearly and precisely:

1. What they have done wrong - enclose printouts of websites showing their mistake.

Then

2. What you want them to do about it. Either a) put things right, or b) refund you according to a deadline.

and conclude your letter with

3. For the avoidance of doubt I will automatically file at court a claim for £XXXX with an application for costs if you do not provide me with the confirmed holiday as described or, refund me the sum paid being £XXXX no later than DATE.

Yours Sincerly

And if you get no joy with Thomson, stick it in the small claims track, a trial date is set and thus, sets a roadmap to a conclusion, good or bad.

Thanks all.

I'm going to ask them where they got thier 'web page' print out from and then use that as further evidence of my claim.

I'll write to them once more and give them the chance to resolve it. :)

Right, today i gave them one more chance and threatened legal action if they fail to properly investigate my claim. I am stunned that they simply quote the website they use and treat that site as being the correct one regardless of the fact that the site i actually used for the booking is clearly different. Ho hum, let's see how this goes.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I was not too surprised by their actions, may be they

don't think you are ready to escalate your claim.

Do you have a letter before action to send, this might shock them into looking closly at your complaint.

Regards

Andy

I've included a notice that i will take legal action if they fail to investigate this matter. It really looks like they want this to either go away by continually stating that their website is correct (bearing in mind they are using/referring to a different one to the one we used) or they think we'll cancel which we won't. If this isn't sorted prior to the start of this holiday we will go however we will advise them that going on the holiday is not to be deemed as affirming the contract but that we are not in a position to change the holiday after booking it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I tried speaking to the person who has been writing to me. She left the company. I spoke to another person who basically told me to go away, tough, you'll have to go through a third party such as ABTA if you want to take this further. I've taken legal action via the small claims court, they have 5 days left to respond. They wasn't prepared to even consider what i was saying, never again will i use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Today i received a call from Thomson's solicitors. They have advised their client that they were wrong and we were right. They cannot give us the villa we wanted as they are booked out fully however they have compensated me (basically half the cost of the holiday) and my legal fees. This could have been avoided had they just listened. :D

I feel we could have argued and got the whole cost of the holiday refunded however we are not greedy nor were we in it for the money. I guess the money we get back can count towards our holiday and we still get the holiday we booked in the same resort etc.