Limitation Act and cause of action.

Ian-veg-plot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A creditor is taking me to Court even though there was no contact from me nor acknowledgement of the debt for more than six years. I intend to use the Limitation Act defence and say the claim is statute barred.

The other side say that the six year period starts when the default notice is issued (which I did not receive) and I say the period starts when a required payment is missed. Does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge/hints or tips on such a matter please? All advice gratefully received. Thank you.

The other side say that the six year period starts when the default notice is issued (which I did not receive) and I say the period starts when a required payment is missed.

That's nonsense. It starts from when you last serviced the debt or contacted the creditor in a manner that would suggest that you acknowledge the debt. If it were down to the date the default was issued, a DCA could simply buy a debt, issue a default one day inside the limitation period and restart it. Obviously, all of this is irrelevant if they have already obtained a judgement, but if not, you have nothing to worry about. I'd be surprised if it even makes it to court, but you should have no problem stating a defence based on the Limitation Act 1980, paragraph 5, I believe.