• Tweets

• If that was the reason then that is good news. The whole reason that being able to charge £100 for breaching private car park rules is because the law Lords decided in a celebrated case that the rogues had a legitimate interest in keeping their car park spaces available for all motorists . {parking Eye v Beavis]. However when the business is closed then there is no legitimate interest in keeping spaces free so to charge £100 is a penalty. As such any Court would automatically throw out the case when the penalty charge is accepted.
    • gives them a feeling of grandeur. dx  
    • yep they can be a bit like the TV licencing lot. for 4yrs ive been getting a series of about 8-10 diff letters that just go round a loop. currently upto 61
    • thread tidied. new thread for the court claim is here  
    • new thread created for this claimform please post here now for anything to do with it now . pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5951 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved in to my present accommodation about 7 months ago. The landlord said he took an Electricity metre reading and passed it to the letting agents.

The letting agents were total morons so I "sacked" them for breach of contract and the landlord took the letting responsibilities on himself.

It would seem the previous occupant scuttled off without settling their final Electricity account. I have seen the bill they sent to the previous occupant and the final reading is Estimated.

My first invoice from them also starts with an estimated reading and ends with an actual reading as one of their agents came and read the metre.

The inventory from the previous letting agent did not have the metre readings filled in and when the landlord has asked them for the details of the reading he gave, they say they cannot find any such info. (see previous comment about being morons)

Ok, I admit I am a moron as well and should have taken my own reading. But, that is my question. Is there anything in any Acts that say I am responsible for ensureing the metre reading is taken.

The way I see it is that they have presented me with a fairly large invoice based upon an guess. I want to ask them to substantiate the invoice.

I don't want to look like a nut case when they say "as per Whatever Act 19xx, it is the tenant's responsibility to ensure metre readings are accurate and noted somewhere safe when they move in!" :D

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Is there any chance your landlord would have a copy of the start reads from when you moved in still? There is no act as far as im aware, but you could ask them to re-estimate your bill based on your consumption since you moved in if you explain how crap your letting agents were? May take a few £'s off the bill? Unfortunately if the supplier is given no readings they have to bill you somehow and if its estimated would normally be based on the previous occupants consumption.

Is there anything in any Acts that say I am responsible for ensureing the metre reading is taken

No, it is the suppliers responsibility to read your meter and by law they have to get a reading every 2 years so they can base their estimates in between around this based on the average consumption for the property.

Although you do have to give access when an appointment is sent with sufficient warning.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks everyone.

I was going to just take them at their word, but they have somewhat annoyed me now. You'll see why when you read the letter I have sent to them;

ADDRESS

ScottishPower Energy Retail Ltd

1 Atlantic Quay

Glasgow

G2 8SP

Sunday, 03 February 2008

RE: Your Electricity Bill – 12.01.08

Payment Reminder – 29.01.08

I refer to the above mentioned documents that I have received, their contents duly noted.

INVOICE

I was somewhat surprised to receive this from you as until I was in receipt of your first letter I had not heard of your company. I note you invite me to “Relax...” and reassure me that “...you’ve made the right choice. Thank you for choosing ScottishPower to be your energy provider.”

I have seen the previous occupants closing invoice and note the End reading is estimated. I further note that the Start reading on the invoice you sent to me is also estimated. I conclude that this document is, at best, a guess.

I concede I will require the supply of power from someone, but cannot find any trace of engaging you to supply. Taken with the fact that your figures are a guess, I need you to substantiate your invoice before I can give it further consideration.

REMINDER

I find great offence in your assertion that if I do not pay your guess at an invoice within seven days you will arrange to visit me to discuss the charge you claim I owe you; expect to be paid a further £37 for the pleasure of visiting my home and that failure to yield to this ridiculous scenario may lead to my credit rating being affected.

Firstly, see my comments about not being a customer of your company.

Secondly, I have no desire for you to visit me. My dwelling is private property and should an agent of ScottishPower Energy Retail Ltd attend the property, I will present it with my usual guest tariff (starting at £75 per hour or part thereof), payable immediately. If the agent cannot or will not pay, I will report it to the police for the tort of trespass. This will result in police attendance.

Thirdly, by affecting my credit rating, I assume you are referring to registering data with one or more of the credit reference agencies. I would hope you are familiar with the Data Protection Act 1998 and comprehend the futility of your threat.

Lastly, should you ignore your statutory duty under the

Data Protection Act 1998 (after all, you are doing so already by processing my data to enable you to send the communications which are the subject of this letter) and process any data where I am the data subject to any of the credit reference agencies, I would consult my legal team with a view to bringing a claim for libel against you in the County Court.

As provider of said data and the agencies publishing said data, you would be jointly involved in publishing unfounded, disparaging and damaging information about me.

If you write to me in these terms again, I will report you to the Office of Fair Trading for making false representations and ignoring their debt collection guidelines. This may involve you in further costs.

CONCLUSION

If you feel you can substantiate your invoice and agree to communicate with me within acceptable guidelines in future and wish to try and persuade me to become a customer, then please write to me with your proposals for my consideration.

Yours,

Alphageek

Away via RD tomorrow morning.

Cheeky beggers! :D

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Hi Zazen, many thanks for the info.

I agree my letter is a little OTT and was not really meant to be taken seriously.

I suppose I don't have an issue with invoice, it probably isn't too far out even if it is estimated. I could also pay it if things looked like they may turn out badly.

I was just a little annoyed with them for sending me an invoice and then a threatening reminder when, to my mind, I was not a customer of the company.

Or you could turn it around on them and tell them that since their actual reading starts at X date, that is the only date from which they can start billing you, as you do not accept their estimated reading. Tell them that you are formally putting the amount in dispute and that they can either give you the correct amount (they can't obviously) or start from the actual reading. Depends how far you want to push, really.

Happened to me a good few years ago, moved into a flat with electricity already running, got a huge bill 2 months later, told them it wasn't mine since I had only recently moved in, they started our contract from the date I had contacted them, as they knew they were in the wrong.