Car Hire Company and £47 Admin Charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I parked a hire car in a restricted street. The parking ticket was taken off the screen by a 3rd party. Because I didn't see the ticket (and didn't respond to it), the car hire company was asked for driver's details. They charged me £47 for their admin (put it on my credit card before even telling me!).

I've asked for the £47 back, and also asked for their full costs incurred.....they refused.

I now have an LBA in a stamped envelope ready for posting.

Just read through some threads on this forum. Before I post it, I'd really appreciate any advice/comments. I know it's not much in the scheme of things, but I really didn't like them taking my money without asking first!!

Pete

I would first send a letter asking them to refund the admin fees.

Give them 14 days to respond and then send your LBA if you are not satisfied with a response.

Have a read of the terms and conditions of hire first though. Just make sure that it doesn't state that in the event of the customer receiving a parking ticket and the hirer having to pass on the driver details, that an admin charge would be applicable.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. I have the LBA ready to send! One page of the Hire Agreement did include a list of the additional charges that you agree to pay in the event of a parking fine, for example.

It does show the £47 charge. Although it clearly shows £47, that doesn't make it ok! As with the banks (who also itemise their charges) the charges shouldn't be punitive, and should reflect the cost of the admin. They did send me a letter, which outlined what they have to do to pass on my details to the council. I did ask them for their costs to do the admin, but they didn't supply them.

Shall I send the LBA? If I keep them busy, they really will have £47 admin costs!!! Regards. Pete

I had a car hire company very kindly pay the ticket for me :( Trying to get the money back from the LA, machine wouldn't take payment - put notice on windscreen, took note of machine number, found traffic warden after the event, said was told to ticket all vehicles.... asked if he was going to report the machine out of order, no, not his job to. I guess I will suffer the cost of the heightened penalty and the admin cost. Of course wrote with informal reps when ticket acquired, also not to apply to hirer, waste of time.

The only reason I have a hire car is because the bailiffs incorrectly took mine, so I guess I should remember to include those 'parking' and 'admin' costs in the litigation.

Why aren't we revolting?