• Tweets

• thought your story rang a bell. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416315-knightsbridgecreditfix-iva-treated-me-very-badly-thinking-of-bk-now-help/ you vanished and never cameback. dx  
    • and it legally informs them of your correct and current address as you must do with all old debts last paid/used in say 7 yrs you dont want backdoor CCJ's. what were the names of these IVA scammers, the one you took it out with, and the one that scammed you to let them take over please? your story is slightly worrying. dx  
    • Incidentally, congratulations on not buying the warranty. That is another Big Motoring World rip-off. See what we have to say about extended warranties and the Big Motoring World attitude to them is particularly unhelpful
    • well that google is from 2019, but the photos are certainly of someone driving on the public highway in/out by an ANP system, though the site of where the camera actually is, is not showing there are anpr cameras up by the low yellow barriers but they wont get from facing shots from there. interesting, needs to be checked if the road IS a public highway but on private land, cause as you say, if the whole area is max 4hrs , how does the hotel work< ?? must have a reg entry system.  now as for taking pictures of cars on a public highway then guessing the are parking ...erm.... i dont thnk thats right nor allowed under GDPR. dx  
    • Under the consumer rights act 2015, if a defect manifests itself within 30 days and you have a right to return the vehicle for a full refund. If any defect manifests itself within the first six months of ownership then you have a right to return the vehicle for a full refund subject to the retailers right to carry out a repair. If the retailer declines to repair or if the repair fails then you have the right to return. The problem here is that you have to assert their right. It's a bit ridiculous – but you have to do let them know preferably in writing that you are asserting your rights under the consumer rights act either the 30 day right or the six month right. I suppose that you haven't done this – which would be quite understandable because most people don't know that these rights exist and that they are subject to these conditions – the condition that the right must be inserted. It is frankly ridiculous. The dealers know it and we have lots of instances of this company delaying appointments et cetera and our strong suspicion is that they are simply trying to run their customers out of time. On the basis that you haven't asserted your rights, we now have to look to ordinary contract law. You are entitled to purchase a vehicle which is of satisfactory condition and which remains that way for a reasonable period of time. Clearly it is in satisfactory. They are blaming you. Has your independent inspection identified the reason for the defect? This will be important because as you have seen BMW are already saying it is down to your driving and you are going to have to produce evidence that it wasn't down to your driving and the you drove it absolutely reasonably and it was simply the condition of the car. Have you been without the car for any period of time. Is it driveable now? If the car was off the road for a substantial amount of time and was still off the road then you would be able to argue that this is a fundamental breach of contract and that you have been deprived of substantially the whole benefit of the contract and therefore you will be entitled to treat the contract as breached by Big Motoring World and insist on cancelling the contract. It may be that you will eventually be obliged to keep the car but have the repairs paid for. Have you had any quotations for the work that needs doing? I asked you questions about the MOT – but you haven't responded.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC managed account - Trying to remove a invalid? default

chris1977
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Chris, take a look at my GE thread, as I sued them for SAR enforcement using this process - you'll see my cost workings outs (?) and how to set it all out; (It's a short thread, so it shouldn't be too hard to skim through to get through the Default issues)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-stores/110148-car2403-ge-capial-bank.html

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chris, that's just what I was looking for. Can I ask where you got the hourly rate from?

Also, I've just checked with Royal Mail and it appears that my LBA hasn't been signed for yet, despite being sent first class recorded delivery on Saturday. I think I'll be using special delivery from now on :mad:

Interesting thread by the way Chris

Can I ask where you got the hourly rate from?

CPR Part 48.6(4)(b) and Practice Direction 52.4;

CPR 48.6(4)(b);

where the litigant cannot prove financial loss, an amount for the time reasonably spent on doing the work at the rate set out in the practice direction

SECTION 52 LITIGANTS IN PERSON: RULE 48.6...

52.4 The amount, which may be allowed to a litigant in person under rule 46.3(5)(b) and rule 48.6(4), is £9.25 per hour.

Also, I've just checked with Royal Mail and it appears that my LBA hasn't been signed for yet, despite being sent first class recorded delivery on Saturday. I think I'll be using special delivery from now on :mad:

Doesn't matter, as the same rules apply for LBA's as "service" of other documents, IMHO...

CPR Part 6.2(1);

A document may be served by any of the following methods –

(b)first class post (or an alternative service which provides for delivery on the next working day);

The Court does not send claim forms by recorded/special delivery, so why should you need to use this for an LBA?

That is a great thread of car's. It looks like you have it all under control now chris.

Just thought I'd let you know that I have been advised that distress should not be claimed for unless the circumstances are exeptional.

The burden of proof for distress is VERY high. It would need to be supported by medical evidence.

I also understand that DJ's are very sceptical of such claims.

So just leave that section blank.:)

Agreed regarding the level of evidence, freaky, but s.13(2) DPA 1998 is clear - if there is distress and damages, you can claim for both; (note, you can't claim for distress on it's own under the DPA)

(2) An individual who suffers distress by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that distress if—

(a) the individual also suffers damage by reason of the contravention

Thanks again for all your help folks, I think I've got enough to be going on with for now. I'll knock up a new claim for their failure to comply with my SAR over the weekend but I think I'll leave the distress part well alone - I guess I can claim distress, as failure to provide the data I requested is directly affecting my claim for default removal, however, I really don't know how to prove or quantify that distress.

I'll also submit a complaint to the ICO.

Unfortunately, HSBC have been thrown a bit of a lifeline for both of the impending claims, by virtue of the fact that I can't afford the court fees until late next week! What a time to be skint!

I'll keep you all posted anyway and thanks again for your help

Have you considered the part 8 process? If you're only claiming for SAR compliance, it will be quicker and could mean you get what you want for your default claim much sooner; (you can't claim damages under the Part 8 process, though)

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/taking_a_case_to_court.pdf

Have you considered the part 8 process? If you're only claiming for S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) compliance, it will be quicker and could mean you get what you want for your default claim much sooner; (you can't claim damages under the Part 8 process, though)

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/taking_a_case_to_court.pdf

To be honest Chris, I think I'm owed damages so I'll carry on with the full process.

Just to update you all, HSBC have failed to acknowledge any of my reminders or LBAs so I have today posted 2 x N1s - One under sections 7 & 15(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998 and one for Default removal.

I guess this is where it gets interesting, and where I'm even more likely to be calling on you all for advice and guidance. Just thought I'd warn you off ;)

I'll keep you posted

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happening with this so far. Sent off both of my N1s a couple weeks back, then 2 days later received a stock letter from HSBC thanking me for my query and that they were investigating the issues I raised. The letter did not refer to any previous letters I had sent so I'm not sure what "query" they were investigating, just found it odd that they haven't written to me in almost a month but two days after I send the court paperwork off I receive a letter from them.

Incidentally, my N1s were bounced back as I was 5 quid short on each cheque. Whoops!! Sent them off again last week, this time with the correct court costs :p Curiously though, I received a letter from HSBC two days after sending the court paperwork off a second time, stating that they apologised for not complying with my SAR as their office only received it on the 23rd April. The main issue here is that they responded to my SAR long before 23rd April; they just sent me a load of bank statements, so saying they only received the request on 23rd April is a pretty poor excuse and is, in fact, a blatant lie! The other thing is, and maybe I'm being paranoid here, but HSBC haven't written to me in a good few weeks, yet all of a sudden I receive two letters, each one of them two days after I sent my court paperwork off. Also, they have always corresponded with me using the short version of my name, as this is how I always refer to myself in correspondence, however, in their most recent letter they have referred to me by my full name, as in my N1. I'm sure this is just a coincedence but it does seem a little odd.

Anyway, conspiracy theories aside, I think the best thing to do is to write to them and advise them that I have commenced litigation proceedings. Is it worth giving them a settlement option this early on though? Or should I just let the legal proceedings take their course....? Any advice welcome

Cheers

Chris

Anyway, conspiracy theories aside, I think the best thing to do is to write to them and advise them that I have commenced litigation proceedings. Is it worth giving them a settlement option this early on though? Or should I just let the legal proceedings take their course....? Any advice welcome

Chris, the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing here - literally!

Personally, I wouldn't be writing to them to tell them you've started proceedings. That isn't your job, but is the job of their Corporate Counsel. In reality, that probably won't happen, as they are likely to pursue your "complaint" in the complete lack of knowledge that you've started a claim against them.

What I would be doing is watching my letterbox, like a little excited chiwawa (I had to Google that word, BTW!) with a wagging tail, waiting for the acknowledgment of service from them - once they say they intend to defend in full, you'll need to send them a CPR Part 18 request for more information, which is more powerful than a S.A.R. request. You can them ask the Court to order the compliance with it, if they fail to reply. (I'll pull the template together once you've received the AOS)

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify, I've sent off two N1s - one for the default removal and one for them failing to comply with my SAR. It's the latter of the two which I was going to advise them I had started proceedings in relation to.

I just think it would show the court, if it comes to it, that I had given them every opportunity to settle before it saw a court room. And, it might get me the information I need for my default removal claim sooner.

What do you think?

I think your LBA would have done that already.

You're right Chris, but I get the impression that they take these "threats" with a pinch of salt as they seem to expect the average joe to not have the minerals to go through with it! I think I'll just wait to see what comes first, their AOS or compliance with my SAR.....

Whats The Latest Chris???

Hi Shaff, welcome to the circus! No developments yet, just waiting for them to acknowledge service of both claims. I'll definitely keep you posted though.

Cheers

Just received confirmation from the court. Both claims deemed served on 10th May. HSBC have until the 26th to respond so I'll hopefully know more by then. I'll keep you all posted

Cheers

Chris

Just looking over my claim again and thinking about this extract from the OFTs S.74 determination:

Furthermore, where a debtor overdraws a current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor, and the account remains overdrawn for more than three months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than seven days after the end of that period of the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable.

Does the statement "Interest will be added on the same basis as presently applies" comply with the above requirement. And what does the OFT consider as "applicable charges"?

I know I should probably sit tight and just wait for their defence but I'm getting really impatient now. And my claim was only served 2 days ago :(

Chill out, dude... ;)

You don't need to construct their defence for them - they'll make a botch job of it anyway, so anything you give them will help them out... ;)

IMHO, that statement wouldn't stand up, as it would need to say how changes in the interest rate that "presently applies" would be communicated to you. If it said, "our present rate applies and we will update our website and place adverts in 3 of the National newspapers where changes are made", that would probably work.

The OFT says "charges applicable" and not "applicable charges". I may be being pandantic, but there is a difference. Again, IMHO, that means any charges that the Bank will apply to your overdraft, not those charges that are seen as overdraft charges. It's not easy explaining that on a forum, but, for instance, I would take that (and the Court probably will too) to cover all charges applied to the account, whether you're in your overdraft or not. If that weren't the case, they couldn't enforce charges applied while you were in credit, which seems bizarre.

The OFT is a minefield for the Banks, but that's why bringing a claim against them using it can only succeed, as it has done with me - and many others - in the past.

In the meantime, go pour yourself a Pina Colada and RELAX...!

IMHO, that statement wouldn't stand up, as it would need to say how changes in the interest rate that "presently applies" would be communicated to you. If it said, "our present rate applies and we will update our website and place adverts in 3 of the National newspapers where changes are made", that would probably work.

OK, that works for me :D

The OFT says "charges applicable" and not "applicable charges". I may be being pandantic, but there is a difference. Again, IMHO, that means any charges that the Bank will apply to your overdraft, not those charges that are seen as overdraft charges. It's not easy explaining that on a forum, but, for instance, I would take that (and the Court probably will too) to cover all charges applied to the account, whether you're in your overdraft or not. If that weren't the case, they couldn't enforce charges applied while you were in credit, which seems bizarre.

What charges are applicable in relation to a current account with an overdraft? Would charges for unauthorised borrowing and bounced cheques etc count as charges applicable?

In the meantime, go pour yourself a Pina Colada and RELAX...!

haha sound advice as always.

Cheers :cool:

What charges are applicable in relation to a current account with an overdraft? Would charges for unauthorised borrowing and bounced cheques etc count as charges applicable?

That's exactly my thinking.

Hiya Chris, Chris's advice is sound as ever :).

Once you get to the court stage there is a lot of waiting involved and the best thing to do is exactly that, wait and see what they say... you cant second guess them and as Chris says they will probably botch the defense anyway so going over the terms and conditions will do no good until you know what they have said :).

pete

Thanks for the advice gents. I'm just by nature a very impatient person :-| Also, I want to make sure I completely understand their failings in case I need to clarify my cause of action or anything in my POC. But I completely see your point about not second-guessing them - I just need to take a chill pill and wait for them to screw it up.

Incidentally, it wasn't the terms and conditions I was looking at, it was the letter that they produced in response to my CCA request which, on the face of it, looks like it complied with the extract from the OFT determination that I quoted above. But on closer scrutiny this may actually be the key to convincing a judge that they failed to comply with the determination.......

Anyway, I'll shut up now! Pina colada anyone?? :D